Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: OPN questions for a loyal Oticon buyer

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by gkumar View Post
    Thank you for sharing. Is this trial of OPN including the latest firmware update? I had heard it includes features like frequency transposition, etc.
    I think you mixed in responses from me and from Blackmamba together in the post above. The last 3 paragraphs were from Blackmamba, not from me.

Yes, the latest firmware update includes the Speech Rescue LX feature which is frequency transposition. Since you don't post your own audiogram in your signature, it's hard to know whether this feature will be helpful for you or not, however. For people with heavy hearing loss in the low and mid range, frequency transposition/lowering may not help.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

KHz 0.25...0.5...0.75...1.0...1.5...2.0...3.0...4.0... 6.0...8.0

Left ...10...10....10.....30.....70....75....80....95.. ..90....80
    Right .25...30....40.....55.....75....85....90....90...1 00...100

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Volusiano View Post
    I think you mixed in responses from me and from Blackmamba together in the post above. The last 3 paragraphs were from Blackmamba, not from me.

Yes, the latest firmware update includes the Speech Rescue LX feature which is frequency transposition. Since you don't post your own audiogram in your signature, it's hard to know whether this feature will be helpful for you or not, however. For people with heavy hearing loss in the low and mid range, frequency transposition/lowering may not help.
    Ah you're right. There was a mix up. How can I add my audiogram details in the signature? I went to the about me section but don't see a signature section

3. Default

Ah you're right. There was a mix up. How can I add my audiogram details in the signature? I went to the about me section but don't see a signature section
    Go to Settings in the upper right corner of your screen, then select Edit Signature in the box on the left side.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

4. Default

I added my audiogram details in my signature. What are your thoughts on the impact of the frequency transposition/lowering algorithm based on my level of hearing loss? Thanks in advance!
    Loyal Oticon HA wearer since the 1980's from FM units and BTEs to RITE and mini-RITE form factors/styles > Currently wearing Alta2 Pro (2015) > Exploring Oticon OPN1 mini-RITE with 105dB custom power mold (2017)

Left ...70...80....85.....95.....95....90....85....95.. ..105..105
    Right .85...80....80.....85.....85....80....70....80.... 85...95

5. Default

I added my audiogram details in my signature. What are your thoughts on the impact of the frequency transposition/lowering algorithm based on my level of hearing loss? Thanks in advance!
    Your audiogram shows severe loss pretty much flat across the board, with a very slight downward slope.

The idea of frequency transposition/lowering is to move the sounds in the high frequency range where the loss is worse to the low/mid frequency ranges where the loss is not as bad. Basically moving sounds from the harder to hear range (high freq) down to easier to hear range (low freq) so that the harder to hear sounds become easier to hear (without having to resort to so much amplification). But this will only work for people with that typical kind of loss, where they can hear better in the low range but have worse hearing loss in the high range. In your case unfortunately, you have almost the same loss across the board, so moving sounds from high to low frequencies is not going to help you because you can't hear any better at the low range anyway. So you probably won't be able to benefit from the Speech Rescue/frequency lowering feature. Sorry.

6. Default

That is disappointing. Thank you for your thoughts

If the Widex Beyond are an option open to you I would give them a try . Definitely an OPN competitor . I started testing a pair today .

First thoughts are very pleasing . The Widex Beyond app is definitely a cut above the OPN . It has an effectively working equalizer , full control over mic direction and volume controls . It is a superior sounding musical hearing aid than the OPN. The outside of the Beyonds look more expensive / durable cosmetically . The OPN look stripped down . I never inquired about price yet so there could be reasons .

Other than that I'm not ready to commit to any thoughts on which pair is better hearing wise . I've not had them long enough to make those kinds of observations . Whatever it is I don't expect any knockout punches separating the two in the area of hearing .
    Oticon Alta Pro (2)

0250.HZ L-30 R-15
    0500.HZ L-40 R-30
    0750.HZ L-45 R-20
    1000.HZ L-50 R-15
    2000.HZ L-60 R-40
    3000.HZ L-60 R-60
    4000.HZ L-75 R-70
    6000.HZ L-80 R-80
    8000.HZ L-90 R-80

Speech Reception L-40 R-20
    Presentation Level L-80 R-60
    Discrimination L-60 R-76

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by blackmamba View Post
    If the Widex Beyond are an option open to you I would give them a try . Definitely an OPN competitor . I started testing a pair today .

First thoughts are very pleasing . The Widex Beyond app is definitely a cut above the OPN . It has an effectively working equalizer , full control over mic direction and volume controls . It is a superior sounding musical hearing aid than the OPN. The outside of the Beyonds look more expensive / durable cosmetically . The OPN look stripped down . I never inquired about price yet so there could be reasons .

Other than that I'm not ready to commit to any thoughts on which pair is better hearing wise . I've not had them long enough to make those kinds of observations . Whatever it is I don't expect any knockout punches separating the two in the area of hearing .
    Thank you for sharing. I suspect the same that Oticon launched the OPN early to market without extras like the polished phone app, Connect Clip, remote microphone, etc. These are all that we take things for granted today, thanks to competition like Widex

Do you know if the Widex Beyond model has 105db powered receivers?

9. Default

Thank you for sharing. I suspect the same that Oticon launched the OPN early to market without extras like the polished phone app, Connect Clip, remote microphone, etc. These are all that we take things for granted today, thanks to competition like Widex

Do you know if the Widex Beyond model has 105db powered receivers?
    I'm not sure why you'd need an equalizer on the phone app because your HA (whichever it is, OPN or Beyond or anything else) already equalizes the sound based on your hearing loss. I do find the OPN app lacking the left/right balance control, however. If you have an iPhone you can set left/right volume independently in their Hearing Aids settings, but for an Android phone, you can only access the OPN through the OPN Android app and it doesn't have balance control. Otherwise, I'm not sure what other kind of control you need for the OPN because the mic direction control doesn't apply to the OPN "open" paradigm anyway. You're not supposed to be using directional mic setting in the first place, although you can if you want to via a program setting, which you can switch to that program on the OPN app. I find myself almost never ever needing to use the OPN app for anything because the whole point of the OPN "open" paradigm is that you only need one default program setting and it's suitable for all modes. So the need for controlling anything via a phone app is really kept to a minimal, therefore you don't need the phone app to be fancy with all kinds of controls, because that defeats the purpose for its simplicity by design in the first place. I currently only have 1 single default program setting on my OPN for any kind of environment, and the ONLY thing I ever fudge around with on my OPN is either the volume button (which I don't need to use an app for), or switch to the TV program (one button push on my OPN). I can't even remember when the last time I even opened up the OPN app on my iPhone. I would only touch it if I ever use the IoT feature it has, which I don't. So to me, the simple OPN app without lots of controls and bells and whistles is actually a positive and not a negative. The way I see it is I don't need to actively interfere and participate and control anything, because the OPN already does it automatically for me. And the simplicity by design here is only possible because of the "open" paradigm that it's designed around.

But I do agree that the ConnectClip delayed availability to end of 2017 is really a huge disappointment. My solution is to switch from my Android phone to an iPhone. I want to have the direct streaming capability anyway and not have to wear a ConnectClip around me all the times, so it's actually a good justification for me to switch to an iPhone anyway. Not an excuse for the ConnectClip delayed availability, however -> still a very big miss here for Oticon in my opinion.

The remote microphone would be nice to have but I think it's such a small niche of people who want that so I don't blame Oticon for not trying to have a solution available for that, soon.

I'm not sure if the look of any HA matters much to me because they're supposed to be inconspicuous and out of sight anyway. The form factor (being small and sleek and slender) is more important to me and the OPN is small enough to be very inconspicuous behind my ear and that's all that matters.

As far as music listening is concerned, I think the bottom line is the input dynamic range of the HA's microphone, which translates to the ability to hear louder/transient attacks of live musical instruments without incurring clipping/distortion/compression, for a better listening experience. Both the Beyond and the OPN has 113 dB/SPL input dynamic range rating, so I'd expect them to both sound excellent when listening to live music. As to whether one sounds better than the other musically, it's a personal opinion. But they both have the same (and excellent) input dynamic range spec.
    Last edited by Volusiano; 07-15-2017 at 04:25 PM.

10. Default

I'm not sure why you'd need an equalizer on the phone app because your HA (whichever it is, OPN or Beyond or anything else) already equalizes the sound based on your hearing loss. I do find the OPN app lacking the left/right balance control, however. If you have an iPhone you can set left/right volume independently in their Hearing Aids settings, but for an Android phone, you can only access the OPN through the OPN Android app and it doesn't have balance control. Otherwise, I'm not sure what other kind of control you need for the OPN because the mic direction control doesn't apply to the OPN "open" paradigm anyway. You're not supposed to be using directional mic setting in the first place, although you can if you want to via a program setting, which you can switch to that program on the OPN app. I find myself almost never ever needing to use the OPN app for anything because the whole point of the OPN "open" paradigm is that you only need one default program setting and it's suitable for all modes. So the need for controlling anything via a phone app is really kept to a minimal, therefore you don't need the phone app to be fancy with all kinds of controls, because that defeats the purpose for its simplicity by design in the first place. I currently only have 1 single default program setting on my OPN for any kind of environment, and the ONLY thing I ever fudge around with on my OPN is either the volume button (which I don't need to use an app for), or switch to the TV program (one button push on my OPN). I can't even remember when the last time I even opened up the OPN app on my iPhone. I would only touch it if I ever use the IoT feature it has, which I don't. So to me, the simple OPN app without lots of controls and bells and whistles is actually a positive and not a negative. The way I see it is I don't need to actively interfere and participate and control anything, because the OPN already does it automatically for me. And the simplicity by design here is only possible because of the "open" paradigm that it's designed around.

But I do agree that the ConnectClip delayed availability to end of 2017 is really a huge disappointment. My solution is to switch from my Android phone to an iPhone. I want to have the direct streaming capability anyway and not have to wear a ConnectClip around me all the times, so it's actually a good justification for me to switch to an iPhone anyway. Not an excuse for the ConnectClip delayed availability, however -> still a very big miss here for Oticon in my opinion.

The remote microphone would be nice to have but I think it's such a small niche of people who want that so I don't blame Oticon for not trying to have a solution available for that, soon.

I'm not sure if the look of any HA matters much to me because they're supposed to be inconspicuous and out of sight anyway. The form factor (being small and sleek and slender) is more important to me and the OPN is small enough to be very inconspicuous behind my ear and that's all that matters.

As far as music listening is concerned, I think the bottom line is the input dynamic range of the HA's microphone, which translates to the ability to hear louder/transient attacks of live musical instruments without incurring clipping/distortion, for a better listening experience. Both the Beyond and the OPN has 113 dB/SPL input dynamic range rating, so I'd expect them to both sound excellent when listening to live music. As to whether one sounds better than the other musically, it's a personal opinion. But they both have the same (and excellent) input dynamic range spec.
    Thanks always for a informative response. One thing I did notice in differences besides the connectivity gadgets is the number of channels and bands.

OPN has 16 channels/64 bands and beyond has 15/16 respectively as per this link: https://www.hearingtracker.com/heari...d-fusion-2-440

What impact does this have on our hearing?