Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: OPN questions for a loyal Oticon buyer

Quote Originally Posted by Haens View Post
    Hello!

I followed your threads since a long time because I'm so interesting in the new model of Oticon OPN BTE PP. But I have to wait until my Audist can keep the OPNs for me.

So I have some questions to Volusiano and anyone, who have the miniRITE or BTE with mold:

- What are the experiences about miniRITE and Earwax (cerumen)?

- I have programmed my Siemens with Hipro and the Connexx-software. Can I take my Programming adapter size 13 for the OPN BTE PP (model for earmold) for programming, or do I need the Fitting Link 3.0?

- Am I right, if I could try the miniRITE a Flexconnect is needed?

Thanks to all for writing every experiences and this helpful forum!

Haens
    I think the earwax issue is dependent on individuals. In my case, my ears don't produce much ear wax at all (although still some), to a point where I haven't has to change my ear wax filter for up to 6 months.

On programming the OPN BTE PP, I think you should ask the questions in the programming section of the forum or PM forum member "pvc" who's the resident expert there.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

KHz 0.25...0.5...0.75...1.0...1.5...2.0...3.0...4.0... 6.0...8.0

Left ...10...10....10.....30.....70....75....80....95.. ..90....80
    Right .25...30....40.....55.....75....85....90....90...1 00...100

Thank you, Volusiano! I will try to ask about programming the OPN in the other thread.

Haens
    Wearing since 45 years HA
    actually: Siemens Motion micon PX

audiogram will coming soon

3. Default

I also have ear canals DRY as a DESERT! I've worn aids (full shell, ITE and now RIE) for over 30 years, and ear wax has absolutely never been a problem for me. So I also think this condition is unique to a person's biology.

Hope someone chimes in re the technical questions! I just learned TODAY that 1.) my old AGXO aids should be able to pair with my Oticon Streamer Pro (now about 5 yrs old); also that the Oticon Agil Pro aids that I *thought* I had (as was written on my original invoice) are in fact Alta Pro - ah details - whatever, eh? But still. I was kind of bug-eyed to learn that for YEARS I'd been telling folks I was wearing a different model aid cuz the info on my invoice was erroneous.

And so, I've revised my signature to show that new reality. It actually matters, cuz the Alta Pro aids are still my "go-to" aids till I get the newer Opn miniRITE aids tweaked to my listening needs.

Thank GOD I have the Streamer Pro working with the Alta Pro aids, cuz my aud-guy confirmed today that Oticon has simply NO PLAN to ever come out with an Android-compatible streaming device. He says they put the blame on Android, and wash their hands of us users. I showed him my new streamer for the Oticon Opn miniRITE aids: a pair of YUGE Sennheiser headphones. And I'm dang lucky to have that workaround.

Ah, they can put a monkey on the moon, but no one can figure out how to make a streamer for the version of Bluetooth on Android devices. Let's just all give up and maybe go bake a cake?
    HAs from 1985>Starkey>Phonak>Epoq>AGXO ITE>Oticon Alta Pro ITE>Oticon Opn miniRITE

KHz 0.25...0.5...1.0...2.0...3.0...4.0....6.0...8.0

Left ..65....80....80....65.....65....60....65....90
    Right 65....80....80....75.....75....70....65....90

Quote Originally Posted by 1Bluejay View Post
    Thank GOD I have the Streamer Pro working with the Alta Pro aids, cuz my aud-guy confirmed today that Oticon has simply NO PLAN to ever come out with an Android-compatible streaming device. He says they put the blame on Android, and wash their hands of us users.

Ah, they can put a monkey on the moon, but no one can figure out how to make a streamer for the version of Bluetooth on Android devices. Let's just all give up and maybe go bake a cake?
    Did your audi tell you that he had it on good authority from Oticon about the Connect Clip 3.0 never coming out, or was he just guessing it?

I'm pretty sure that it's not a technical issue that's keeping Oticon from coming out with the Connect Clip 3.0. After all, if they can make the Streamer Pro, they can easily make the Connect Clip 3.0 because it shouldn't really be that different. I'm guessing it's some kind of logistical issue that's holding them up.

It also doesn't make any sense that they wouldn't want to make the Connect Clip available at all ever. It's in their interest to retain Android phone users instead of alienating them. This big MISS by Oticon is really a big mystery to us all.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Volusiano View Post
    Did your audi tell you that he had it on good authority from Oticon about the Connect Clip 3.0 never coming out, or was he just guessing it?

I'm pretty sure that it's not a technical issue that's keeping Oticon from coming out with the Connect Clip 3.0. After all, if they can make the Streamer Pro, they can easily make the Connect Clip 3.0 because it shouldn't really be that different. I'm guessing it's some kind of logistical issue that's holding them up.

It also doesn't make any sense that they wouldn't want to make the Connect Clip available at all ever. It's in their interest to retain Android phone users instead of alienating them. This big MISS by Oticon is really a big mystery to us all.
    When speaking six months back with Oticon support about Bluetooth 5.0 and BLE that are now available on Samsung S8 devices, Oticon said they cannot work with that platform as there is no audio specific protocol that works with BLE and its software stack is not consistent across all platforms.

I was quite confused at the time until I read this recent Wired article about iPhone and its unique BLEA protocol, a variant of BLE that has audio paired.

https://www.wired.com/story/how-appl...eadsliterally/

This is the result of the Made for iPhone designations that we now see on many hearing aids brands today. It seems that from the article that Apple has probably chosen to make its BLEA protocol closed source due to its reliance on hardware and software algorithms only available on its iPhones, rather than open source the protocol to the Android platform.

Also, the article mentions that Google has not focused much time on developing this protocol and has instead focused on closed captioning. From Google's standpoint, this may make strategic sense given its assets of YouTube, Photos, etc. that billions watch rather than focusing on hardware/software standardization to develop a BLEA protocol that millions only will use.

TLDR version Apple developed its own proprietary protocol for hearing aids and didn't share, and Google hasn't responded accordingly for various reasons. So hearing aids manufacturers are probably waiting for Google to step up its game with its own protocol.
    Last edited by gkumar; 08-08-2017 at 10:45 AM.
    Loyal Oticon HA wearer since the 1980's from FM units and BTEs to RITE and mini-RITE form factors/styles > Currently wearing Alta2 Pro (2015) > Exploring Oticon OPN1 mini-RITE with 105dB custom power mold (2017)

Left ...70...80....85.....95.....95....90....85....95.. ..105..105
    Right .85...80....80.....85.....85....80....70....80.... 85...95

6. Default

-<snip>-On programming the OPN BTE PP, I think you should ask the questions in the programming section of the forum or PM forum member "pvc" who's the resident expert there.
    I started a new thread for >>How to program the Oticon Opn<< in the DIY section.
    Click >>Hidden Content << when your post count=10+ or Use Search for "self programming links"
    My Hidden Content , My Wife's Hidden Content

7. Default

Sennheisers are awesome. That's what I use. So comfy + actual bass

8. Default

Volusiano: yes, my aud-guy confirmed that after several back 'n forth discussions he's had with Oticon tech support he gets a real clear idea that the separate streaming device is less than zero priority for them. There is another thread here where it is mentioned Oticon moved its development team to Norway - as if to marginalize the work they are doing.

gKumar has nailed the issues my aud-guy mentioned regarding the Oticon streaming device for Android users. I will have to educate myself more on this so maybe I can shoot an email to Oticon. I am not going to get an iPhone and do anything on the IoT - simply way way too much risk of hacking.

MNWild46: Yes, the Sennheisers rock. And if you have a tiny, child-sized head like mine, I suggest this comfy cushion for the headband (which another forum member had shared in a different post): David Clark Sheepskin Cover
    HAs from 1985>Starkey>Phonak>Epoq>AGXO ITE>Oticon Alta Pro ITE>Oticon Opn miniRITE

KHz 0.25...0.5...1.0...2.0...3.0...4.0....6.0...8.0

Left ..65....80....80....65.....65....60....65....90
    Right 65....80....80....75.....75....70....65....90

Quote Originally Posted by gkumar View Post
    When speaking six months back with Oticon support about Bluetooth 5.0 and BLE that are now available on Samsung S8 devices, Oticon said they cannot work with that platform as there is no audio specific protocol that works with BLE and its software stack is not consistent across all platforms.

I was quite confused at the time until I read this recent Wired article about iPhone and its unique BLEA protocol, a variant of BLE that has audio paired.

https://www.wired.com/story/how-appl...eadsliterally/

This is the result of the Made for Hearing Aids designations that we now see on many hearing aids brands today. It seems that from the article that Apple has probably chosen to make its BLEA protocol closed source due to its reliance on hardware and software algorithms only available on its iPhones, rather than open source the protocol to the Android platform.

Also, the article mentions that Google has not focused much time on developing this protocol and has instead focused on closed captioning. From Google's standpoint, this may make strategic sense given its assets of YouTube, Photos, etc. that billions watch rather than focusing on hardware/software standardization to develop a BLEA protocol that millions only will use.

TLDR version Apple developed its own proprietary protocol for hearing aids and didn't share, and Google hasn't responded accordingly for various reasons. So hearing aids manufacturers are probably waiting for Google to step up its game with its own protocol.
    Gkumar, thanks for sharing that Oticon support told me that BLE 5.0 on the Samsung S8 can still not be supported by Oticon for direct streaming.

But I just want to clarify here that the discussion of the Connect Clip 3.0 is not about trying to do direct streaming between Android phones to the OPN (in a similar fashion to direct streaming between iPhones and the OPN). The Connect Clip 3.0 is supposed to use just the regular Bluetooth (not BLE) to communicate with Android phone, then it relays the audio from the Android phone to the OPN. So this is not direct streaming, but instead indirect streaming through an intermediate streaming device (being the Connect Clip 3.0). The old Streamer Pro is such an intermediate device that supported the older Oticon HA models to communicated with the Android phones (and iPhones indirectly) for the matter.

10. Default

Gkumar, thanks for sharing that Oticon support told me that BLE 5.0 on the Samsung S8 can still not be supported by Oticon for direct streaming.

But I just want to clarify here that the discussion of the Connect Clip 3.0 is not about trying to do direct streaming between Android phones to the OPN (in a similar fashion to direct streaming between iPhones and the OPN). The Connect Clip 3.0 is supposed to use just the regular Bluetooth (not BLE) to communicate with Android phone, then it relays the audio from the Android phone to the OPN. So this is not direct streaming, but instead indirect streaming through an intermediate streaming device (being the Connect Clip 3.0). The old Streamer Pro is such an intermediate device that supported the older Oticon HA models to communicated with the Android phones (and iPhones indirectly) for the matter.
    Yes you're absolutely right. It looks like either Oticon has development team issues (e.g., Norway, etc.), or Oticon is waiting for Google to step up its Direct Streaming BLEA protcol, or both, of which some combination is causing a delay in the Connect Clip 3.0 launch.
    Loyal Oticon HA wearer since the 1980's from FM units and BTEs to RITE and mini-RITE form factors/styles > Currently wearing Alta2 Pro (2015) > Exploring Oticon OPN1 mini-RITE with 105dB custom power mold (2017)

Left ...70...80....85.....95.....95....90....85....95.. ..105..105
    Right .85...80....80.....85.....85....80....70....80.... 85...95