Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: OPN questions for a loyal Oticon buyer

The only thing I can think of is that if Oticon think they're close to coming up with a future MFA (Made For Android - as opposed to the current MFi Made For iPhone), then the Connect Clip 3.0 would become redundant because nobody would care for the Connect Clip anymore if they can get direct streaming to Android phones. But that would mean alienating a lot of potential Android customers who are on older Android phone models that don't have the new BLE for MFA.

I still think that this is a pretty stupid move by Oticon if they plan to drop the Connect Clip because there are also laptops and tablets on regular BT that people would want to stream to their OPN. If they lose potential customers due to this stupidity then they truly deserve it.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

KHz 0.25...0.5...0.75...1.0...1.5...2.0...3.0...4.0... 6.0...8.0

Left ...10...10....10.....30.....70....75....80....95.. ..90....80
    Right .25...30....40.....55.....75....85....90....90...1 00...100

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Volusiano View Post
    The only thing I can think of is that if Oticon think they're close to coming up with a future MFA (Made For Android - as opposed to the current MFi Made For iPhone), then the Connect Clip 3.0 would become redundant because nobody would care for the Connect Clip anymore if they can get direct streaming to Android phones. But that would mean alienating a lot of potential Android customers who are on older Android phone models that don't have the new BLE for MFA.

I still think that this is a pretty stupid move by Oticon if they plan to drop the Connect Clip because there are also laptops and tablets on regular BT that people would want to stream to their OPN. If they lose potential customers due to this stupidity then they truly deserve it.
    I agree. I use a Bluetooth dongle on my laptop and also my landline Cisco phone at work to pair with my Streamer Pro. Having such a device expands the use cases available for a hearing aid.
    Loyal Oticon HA wearer since the 1980's from FM units and BTEs to RITE and mini-RITE form factors/styles > Currently wearing Alta2 Pro (2015) > Exploring Oticon OPN1 mini-RITE with 105dB custom power mold (2017)

Left ...70...80....85.....95.....95....90....85....95.. ..105..105
    Right .85...80....80.....85.....85....80....70....80.... 85...95

Quote Originally Posted by pvc View Post
    I started a new thread for >>How to program the Oticon Opn<< in the DIY section.
    Thanks, PVC. As an FYI, after my audi did the wired FW 4.0 update for my OPN, the next session she tried to do a wireless programming (not FW update) when I upgraded to the 105dB receivers, but was not successful, even after calling and having Oticon support on the phone to help her. She said they told her there's some kind of bug in the FW 4.0 update that prevents using the wireless programming device on OPNs already updated to FW 4.0. The next session I had with her a few days later, she continued to use the wired programming device on my OPN. Just thought I pass it along.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

I can assure you that OPNs updated to 4.0 work just fine with wireless programming. So maybe there's a bug that affects only a small number of HA's, or maybe it's user error (I'd bet on the latter, but who knows).
    Marc

Hz 250 - 500 - 750 - 1k - 1.5k -- 2k -- 3k -- 4k -- 6k -- 8k
    R: 20 -- 25 -- 35 -- 35 -- 45 --- 50 -- 55 -- 60 -- 55 -- 70
    L: 15 -- 25 -- 35 -- 40 -- 45 --- 60 -- 50 -- 60 -- 55 -- 65
    [Opn1]

5. Default

Anyone else programming the Opn wirelessly who can share (post FW4) wireless programming success or failure?
    Click >>Hidden Content << when your post count=10+ or Use Search for "self programming links"
    My Hidden Content , My Wife's Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by chatteremail View Post
    I can assure you that OPNs updated to 4.0 work just fine with wireless programming. So maybe there's a bug that affects only a small number of HA's, or maybe it's user error (I'd bet on the latter, but who knows).
    I would tend to agree with you that Oticon would not have released a new FW knowing that it's not compatible with their wireless Fitting Link 3.0.

Although my audi was on the phone with Oticon support and even their support folks couldn't figure out what was wrong, I think maybe the Oticon support person just made that up out of their arse to avoid having to troubleshoot the issue for my audi. Of the times I sat in my audi's office listening to her on the phone with the Oticon support people, I have not been particularly impressed with the quality support they've provided. More often than not, they don't have answers to your question and have to put you on hold to go ask the next tier level for an answer.

- - - Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Volusiano;154356]The only thing I can think of is that if Oticon think they're close to coming up with a future MFA (Made For Android - as opposed to the current MFi Made For iPhone), then the Connect Clip 3.0 would become redundant because nobody would care for the Connect Clip anymore if they can get direct streaming to Android phones. But that would mean alienating a lot of potential Android customers who are on older Android phone models that don't have the new BLE for MFA.

I have an iPhone which obviously connect directly to the OPN, but I still want the ConnectClip for hands free to talk into because I find it cumbersome to hold the phone to my mouth. I think the ConnectClip will be a reality. If you google it, Oticon is starting to update some of their product literature to feature the ConnectClip.
    Last edited by Abarsanti; 08-08-2017 at 08:00 PM.
    Tony
    ---------------------
    Oticon OPNs
    Previously: Bernafon Juna 9s with Soundgate 3
    ----------------------
    55 55 50 10 60 25
    250 500 1000 2000 4000 8000
    55 60 45 15 20 10

Word Recognition, 60% at 70 db (left), 96% at 65db (right)
    <Tested 1/2/17>

8. Default

I see that Abarsanti has replied that he is hoping to use the Connect Cliip as a hands free microphone. I was hoping to use it for a different purpose. I also use an iphone. I was hoping to use the connect clip for those uses where I need a bluetooth dongle to "stream" sound. These would include the landline phone at work, wireless headsets at the theater and movies, airplane seatback screens.

9. Default

Hi all, I am excited to say I'm getting custom 105db earmold impressions for the new OPN hearing aids two weeks from today. I'd like to educate myself and if needed my audiologist about the various venting options in earmolds-selective vents, standard vents, vent plugs, etc. Does any one have any pictures or literature they can share so that we can choose the best option?

I've of the opinion that earmolds without vents or selective vents that are plugged in are the best options due to the higher volume albeit with more occlusion / echo effects, but my audiologist is impervious to new things and is likely to choose a vented earmold.

Any shared thoughts and literature/pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by gkumar View Post
    Hi all, I am excited to say I'm getting custom 105db earmold impressions for the new OPN hearing aids two weeks from today. I'd like to educate myself and if needed my audiologist about the various venting options in earmolds-selective vents, standard vents, vent plugs, etc. Does any one have any pictures or literature they can share so that we can choose the best option?

I've of the opinion that earmolds without vents or selective vents that are plugged in are the best options due to the higher volume albeit with more occlusion / echo effects, but my audiologist is impervious to new things and is likely to choose a vented earmold.

Any shared thoughts and literature/pictures would be greatly appreciated.
    Congrats on you newly ordered HAs!

When I got my 105dB custom molds recently, they come with vents. But my audi gave me a pair of plugs that goes into the vent but it has its own smaller hole. So I wouldn't be too concerned about your audi choosing a vented earmold. It may just come that way by default without your audi having to specify it like that. The assumption may be that you'd just plug up the vent if it's too big to your liking.

One thing I was told is that if I use the plug (it goes on the inside canal end), don't cut it off too flush with the mold because it'd be virtually impossible to take it out afterward. You'd want to leave enough hanging out so you can grab and pull it out if you change your mind.

I ended up not needed to plug up my custom molds' vent holes, however. Even though they seem to be bigger than the bass dome's single vent on my 85dB receivers, there's no feedback when I cup my hands over them, even though I didn't have to run the feedback program on these custom molds at all. I did have to run the feedback program on the bass domes of my 85dB receivers, however, even though their vent hole size is smaller than my custom molds' vent. Go figure.
    Last edited by Volusiano; 08-10-2017 at 03:53 PM.