Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Widex Unique 440 CIC on trial

  1. #1

    Question Widex Unique 440 CIC on trial

    Hello,

    This is my first post here, and at the moment I'm on mysecond day of trialing the widex unique 440 CIC, upgrading from widex InteoCIC. First I'll write a little info about me. I've worn HAs ever since I was 7,now I'm 27 and I've always worn widex CICs. In my signature is my audiometry (Ihad it done last month) and over the years it stayed pretty much the same, butin the last 2 years I've had several test and hearing seemed to have wosened,not by much however.

    Two years ago I've tried widec dream RICs 440 with custommolds and they didn't work for me, there was the custom mold and then thehearing aid behind the ear and my ear would hurt by the end of the day + theocclusion from the custom mold, couldn't wait to get them off at the end of theday. Beside that there was another big issue - there was always an imbalancebetween the 2 hearing aids and no matter how many settings the audi tried to doit just didn't work and this problem was very distracting. I also found that Ireally didn't get that much speech clarity from them so I turned them back. Ialso tried several other brand (siemens, phonak, starkey, unitron - all RICs)but unfortunately, in my country, only widex provides a trial and only for oneweek with payment. I tested the other brands only in the audiologist practice,they didn't even tell me to walk outside and see how the work so I couldn'treally make a decision based on the testing done inside the room.

    I decided to wait which brings me back to the present day. Iheard about the new unique series and I thought to give it a go. I actuallywanted to trial the Unique RIC 440 but the audie suggested I go with the CICones since I've worn CIC almost my entire life. So I went with these one and Ican't tell there's big improvement compared to the dream 440 RIC. I could heareverything, yesterday I was quite overwhelmed by all these new sounds. Theweird thing is that today I've realised that I hear the background noise waytoo loud - the car engine, the air conditioning, the cars on the streets and Idon't think it is because I've never heard them before, it bothers me too much.Speech clarity is way better on these ones compared to the dream RICs, but Istill have to test them in other situations (restaurants, several people in thecar etc.). Another issue that I've notice with the background noise, is that,while I'm driving even though the radio is quite loud the aids don't pick it up, the background noise is still clear (car engine, cars on the streets). Alsowhen I listen to music the lower frequencies seem to be cut, I can't hear them,but when I take one HA off I can hear them (I have to mention that I have novent in my HAs and I don't have the wireless aids, the audie told me that theycouldn't fit my hearing loss so I don't have com-DEX and teh aids work with theuniversal program).

    And now I have to ask if widex has a problem with theimbalance of sound in their HAs because I'm having the same issue with theseCICs that I've had with the RICs, and I've also noticed these in my Inteos CICexcept is not that pronounced.

    I'm looking for a bit of advice from someone, hoping maybe tobe a bit more enlightened, maybe someone had the same issue, especially withthe background noise and the imbalance, because at the moment I really don'tknow what to do. I'm also going to try some Oticon Opn1, with a different whotold me that I could try them outside, I hope I will be able to make and ideaabout these Oticons.

    I know it's a long post, sorry about that!

    Thank you in advance!
    R/L
    125 30/20
    250 40/30
    500 50/40
    1000 55/50
    2000 65/60
    4000 65/70
    8000 90/85

  2. #2

    Default

    I've found the new Unique series to be the best aid I have ever had, in the digital era. You WILL hear more noises as you describe, but you may want to try the programming mode where you have 3 steps instead of 8 steps on the "volume control", it will impact a lot more features than the 8 step control. You also can have the programmer shift the overall mode more towards "comfort" and see if that helps. Some technical resources for you:http://www.audiologyonline.com/artic...-because-16325 Your brain should also get used to these sounds and will learn to filter them out.

    Back in my early years, I also had a reverse slope loss as yours. You have a difficult situation - you need a full closed shell to get the high frequency amplification you need without feedback, but you need an open fit to get the low frequency you can still hear to a large degree. You're going to have to learn to live with a compromise. It was easy for me, lost my hearing so young, I don't remember what it's like to hear low frequency normally.

    I also found the RIC, with the two microphones vs the one in the CIC to be a better aid - it allowed more of the Widex features to work as intended, and the "clarity" and my speech understanding improved immensely. You can get used to the aid hanging on your ear, just a matter of time.
    ..250..500..1000..2000..4000..8000
    L:75....75....70.....75.....65......60
    R: no hearing

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    361

    Default

    I was hoping an audiologist would chime in. I don't know if it was a "miswrite," but I'm pretty sure ana doesn't have a reverse-slope loss. Reverse slope is when low frequency hearing is impaired and high frequencies are normal or near normal.I also think ana has enough low frequency loss where a full open fit wouldn't be appropriate, but probably a moot point with a CIC.

    I don't know what to make of the imbalance problem. Are your old aids "balanced?" If so, maybe have the audiologist look at the settings on them.

    I don't think there's any quick solution other than to keep working with your audiologist. If you stop making progress, consider another audiologist. Consider contacting Widex. Good luck and keep us posted.

    Quote Originally Posted by JeffBowser View Post
    I've found the new Unique series to be the best aid I have ever had, in the digital era. You WILL hear more noises as you describe, but you may want to try the programming mode where you have 3 steps instead of 8 steps on the "volume control", it will impact a lot more features than the 8 step control. You also can have the programmer shift the overall mode more towards "comfort" and see if that helps. Some technical resources for you:http://www.audiologyonline.com/artic...-because-16325 Your brain should also get used to these sounds and will learn to filter them out.

    Back in my early years, I also had a reverse slope loss as yours. You have a difficult situation - you need a full closed shell to get the high frequency amplification you need without feedback, but you need an open fit to get the low frequency you can still hear to a large degree. You're going to have to learn to live with a compromise. It was easy for me, lost my hearing so young, I don't remember what it's like to hear low frequency normally.

    I also found the RIC, with the two microphones vs the one in the CIC to be a better aid - it allowed more of the Widex features to work as intended, and the "clarity" and my speech understanding improved immensely. You can get used to the aid hanging on your ear, just a matter of time.
    .25 .5 1 1.5 2 3.0 4.0 6.0 8.0

    15 15 20 30 30 55 75 90 NR ​KS7
    10 10 20 15 25 35 65 85 95 WRS 100/92@45/40

  4. #4

    Default

    I can't comment about the Widex Unique 440 because I don't wear them but I can comment about the Oticon Opn1 which you said you're going to try them out as well.

    If you have an iPhone, you can pair the OPN1 with your iPhone and it'll give you a choice to independently set the left and right volume separately, so this feature may help you adjust to remove the imbalance. Once you know where the left and right volume settings should be relative to each other to minimize the imbalance, you can have your audi program the relative left/right volumes into the OPN directly so you won't have to keep making adjustment on the iPhone anymore. If you have Android phones then the Android ON app from Oticon doesn't have separate left/righ volume controls, unfortunately.

    In terms of the background noise being way too loud for you, it's probably because you're not used to hearing better with the Widex Dream before so now everything will seem too loud for you. Just give it time to adjust and eventually your brain hearing will learn to become not as sensitive to the background noise as before. In the meantime, the volume control is your friend to turn things down if you feel too overwhelmed, and turn things back up when you need to listen to speech. The OPN has a built-in feature to gradually adjust your volume after so many hours if you want to set it, but manually adjusting the volume gives you more flexibility although less automated and a little more hassle.

    When you try out the OPN, you'll probably also hear a lot of sounds around you that you did't hear before or don't care to hear now either because you consider those sounds noise. But keep in mind that the OPN1 lets you hear everything on purpose because that's an integral part of their "open" paradigm. But you'll also find good clarity in speech amongst all the sounds. So you need to give it time for your brain hearing to get adjusted to the new hearing capabilities and eventually your brain hearing will learn what to ignore and what to focus on quite seamlessly. With you still being young at 27 I'm sure your brain hearing will adapt quite well and quite quickly to the "open" paradigm. After a while, you'll be glad that you can hear everything and have your brain hearing be able to pick and choose what you want to focus on hearing and what you want to ignore at will. That's how normal hearing people selectively manage their hearing anyway. I wear the OPN1 and when I'm in a noisy moving car with the radio on, I notice the radio music the most, but if I want to shift my attention to focus on the other sounds beside the radio music, I can immediately notice the other sounds at will as well like they're right there at the tip of my fingers.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

    KHz 0.25...0.5...0.75...1.0...1.5...2.0...3.0...4.0... 6.0...8.0

    Left ...10...10....10.....30.....70....75....80....95.. ..90....80
    Right .25...30....40.....55.....75....85....90....90...1 00...100

  5. #5

    Default

    I stand corrected, that is not reverse slope.

    Quote Originally Posted by MDB View Post
    I was hoping an audiologist would chime in. I don't know if it was a "miswrite," but I'm pretty sure ana doesn't have a reverse-slope loss. Reverse slope is when low frequency hearing is impaired and high frequencies are normal or near normal.I also think ana has enough low frequency loss where a full open fit wouldn't be appropriate, but probably a moot point with a CIC.

    I don't know what to make of the imbalance problem. Are your old aids "balanced?" If so, maybe have the audiologist look at the settings on them.

    I don't think there's any quick solution other than to keep working with your audiologist. If you stop making progress, consider another audiologist. Consider contacting Widex. Good luck and keep us posted.
    ..250..500..1000..2000..4000..8000
    L:75....75....70.....75.....65......60
    R: no hearing

  6. #6

    Default

    I'm back with an update, but first... it seems that the posts have been deleted, anybody knows what happened? Hopefully it can be solved.

    Ok so the update on the Oticon OPN1. It seems that I'm just out of luck with the audiologists... I've tried the Oticon OPN1 and I can honestly say that the widex Unique CIC I'm trialing now are more powerful. I think the Oticon OPN1 would have been a great HA if only the audiologists knew what to do which wasn't the case. I wasn't overwhelmed by noises at all, it was like I was with my old CICs. They did help me hear more clear the person talking in the back of my car but I could also hear the person on the back of my car with the unique CICs (altough a little bit muffled).
    I was fitted with a bass dome but I forgot if it had a single vent or double vent (if I try to recall it was probably doble vented). It was also itchy on my right ear.
    Altough I had 2 hours to try them the audie did a bunch of settings, he set me with the 4 programs, and I was told at the end of the trial that the ambient noise was reduced from the setting by 7db. wasn't impressed with these HA but now I realise how important is to have a really good audiologist, I definitely can't buy a HA if the audiologist has no idea what to do. On the post that was deleted, Volusiano, you mentioned that the speech would be clear, and I did notice that, but I wish I had more noise so I could make a better idea.

    Regarding the unique CICs, I went to the audie to do some settings but there is an imbalance between the left and right HA, I did another sensogram and now the left one seems to have a darker sound and the right one a clear sound. But I did notice that I have way better speech clarity. I would also try the RIC unique passion 440 next week as Jeff advised, especially for loud environments. With these CICs speech is muffled in loud environments, and I need speech clarity.

    I would probably choose the unique RICs passion 440 or CICs 440, I will decide that after trialing the RICs also. I'm really dissapointed with these audiologists, they are more sales agents than audiologists. I wish I could do my own settings to the aids, I think I would do a better job.
    R/L
    125 30/20
    250 40/30
    500 50/40
    1000 55/50
    2000 65/60
    4000 65/70
    8000 90/85

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ana_m View Post
    I'm back with an update, but first... it seems that the posts have been deleted, anybody knows what happened? Hopefully it can be solved.

    Ok so the update on the Oticon OPN1. It seems that I'm just out of luck with the audiologists... I've tried the Oticon OPN1 and I can honestly say that the widex Unique CIC I'm trialing now are more powerful. I think the Oticon OPN1 would have been a great HA if only the audiologists knew what to do which wasn't the case. I wasn't overwhelmed by noises at all, it was like I was with my old CICs. They did help me hear more clear the person talking in the back of my car but I could also hear the person on the back of my car with the unique CICs (altough a little bit muffled).
    I was fitted with a bass dome but I forgot if it had a single vent or double vent (if I try to recall it was probably doble vented). It was also itchy on my right ear.
    Altough I had 2 hours to try them the audie did a bunch of settings, he set me with the 4 programs, and I was told at the end of the trial that the ambient noise was reduced from the setting by 7db. wasn't impressed with these HA but now I realise how important is to have a really good audiologist, I definitely can't buy a HA if the audiologist has no idea what to do. On the post that was deleted, Volusiano, you mentioned that the speech would be clear, and I did notice that, but I wish I had more noise so I could make a better idea.

    Regarding the unique CICs, I went to the audie to do some settings but there is an imbalance between the left and right HA, I did another sensogram and now the left one seems to have a darker sound and the right one a clear sound. But I did notice that I have way better speech clarity. I would also try the RIC unique passion 440 next week as Jeff advised, especially for loud environments. With these CICs speech is muffled in loud environments, and I need speech clarity.

    I would probably choose the unique RICs passion 440 or CICs 440, I will decide that after trialing the RICs also. I'm really dissapointed with these audiologists, they are more sales agents than audiologists. I wish I could do my own settings to the aids, I think I would do a better job.
    Good luck with your choice with the Unique, Ana! In the end you're right that it's important to have audis who know what they're doing and not just trying to push the sales like sales people.

    Just a comment about the 7 db noise reduction you mentioned your audi set on the OPN, that is the medium setting. The audi could have made it more aggressive with the 9db noise reduction setting so you can see if the speech would be any clearer or not. But like you said, you'd need to be in a noisier place to notice a bigger difference, and 2 hours is no where enough to test it out thoroughly.

    In terms of the Widex Unique sounding more powerful, it may just be a matter of volume setting. And I've also heard from many OPN wearers that they find the OPN to sound more natural compared to other HAs which tend to emphasize more on the high frequencies which may make them sound crispier but less natural.

    Regarding the itch due to the dome, I experienced the same thing when I started wearing the OPN domes but the itch quickly went away after a week or two once my ear canal had a chance to adjust to the silicone material of the dome. It's no big deal unless you're truly allergic to silicone domes in the first place.

    I'm still curious because you reported to still sense an imbalance on the Unique, so it makes me curious whether you had the same issue with the OPN at all? I just wonder if this is HA related or if it's something due to your hearing...
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

    KHz 0.25...0.5...0.75...1.0...1.5...2.0...3.0...4.0... 6.0...8.0

    Left ...10...10....10.....30.....70....75....80....95.. ..90....80
    Right .25...30....40.....55.....75....85....90....90...1 00...100

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Volusiano View Post
    I'm still curious because you reported to still sense an imbalance on the Unique, so it makes me curious whether you had the same issue with the OPN at all? I just wonder if this is HA related or if it's something due to your hearing...
    When I first put the Opn1 on I thought that there was a slightly imbalance between the aids, but at the end of the 2 hours I really couldn't feel it anymore. It was probably something related to the domes rather than the aids. I don't really know if the Widex aids is the problem, it can also be from the settings. So I think I'll have to ask the audiologist to do a lot of settings to get it right.
    R/L
    125 30/20
    250 40/30
    500 50/40
    1000 55/50
    2000 65/60
    4000 65/70
    8000 90/85

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •