Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Upgrade a Unique?

A more open dome is used for people with less impaired low frequency hearing. I don't think a fully open dome would be good for your loss, especially the right ear. A lot of the adjustment is just your brain getting used to things. Do you know what receivers and domes you were trying? Any idea what fitting formula the audiologist used? (Likely a Widex proprietary, but perhaps NAL-NL2) If you go the self programming route, you'll want to look at classes on audiologyonline.com They're free unless you want CE credits. Also I saw some instruction on fitting on Widex's website. Since you're essentially new to hearing aids, I suspect you'd do fine initially with the S receivers if you want to save some money initially.

Quote Originally Posted by ISR View Post
    I was off today ;-)

The high priced audi let me roam about for a while with the Unique fusion (I think it was a 440 not a 330 though). They had a minimal amount of programming, and only 2 presets on board and a tulip dome. They were a bit loud and sharp, but in the 45 minutes I had them, I missed ONE word from conversation with the audi and going into the lunch room for a burger.

The overload of so many conversations was unique, and I head every word of someone checking out at the register 15! feet away. I don't doubt it would be a new world when fully/properly fitted.

Yes, I had an aid (one ear only, all I could afford) back in 2009 from Costco. It was in the shop more than my ear, and would fade to nothing after a few hours with a fresh battery. Very disappointing wast of money.

I think from what I've been reading that part of the "adjustment" is how open the dome is in regards to compensating for a lot of gain? Letting some of the natural sound in to soften what your getting from the aid.

Another point of wonder. When I gave up the demos and the audi started talking, I thought I had some compression in my ears (like descending for a landing in a plane). It was not the case, I was just back to my old hearing ;-). And for amusement, I was walking along when I first left the office with the demos in and checked my phone. Wow, that's cool the phone linked itself to the aids via Bluetooth (phone was in my hand 15 to 18 inches) and is transmitting the clicks of the screen touches!!!. Then I realized that it would have had to be paired for it to do that. I never knew my phone was making clicks when I hit a button.
    .25 .5 1 1.5 2 3.0 4.0 6.0 8.0

15 15 20 30 30 55 75 90 NR ​KS7
    10 10 20 15 25 35 65 85 95 WRS 100/92@45/40

I was aware that the open dome would not be the route to go. My research suggested a closed dome with two "vents" instead of one (though I've not been able to find those for Widex). The ones I demoed were tulip, and I did not know to look at the receiver at the time.

I do not know what fitting formula they were programmed for, but a kind person in the DIY area re-posted the Widex software that was hard to find. I come from and IT background and found the software to be very user friendly and hand holding. Once i had entered the model and my audiogram the software would overlay the receivers ability on top of it. The S receiver is apparently doable, with the M being recommended.

Someone posted a link in DIY for a company that has receivers for $43, and the wireless USB hardware for $108. This means I would be in a position to program them for about $100 and if needed change out the receivers for a reasonable amount. Would of course get new domes regardless.

Thank you for the tip on the classes, for about $100 with the ability to tweak on my own when I wanted to, I don't think I could get hurt.

RT-S.JPG RT-M.JPG

The only thing I can see that would change between the S and M is if I started losing more at 4K and above

Quote Originally Posted by MDB View Post
    A more open dome is used for people with less impaired low frequency hearing. I don't think a fully open dome would be good for your loss, especially the right ear. A lot of the adjustment is just your brain getting used to things. Do you know what receivers and domes you were trying? Any idea what fitting formula the audiologist used? (Likely a Widex proprietary, but perhaps NAL-NL2) If you go the self programming route, you'll want to look at classes on audiologyonline.com They're free unless you want CE credits. Also I saw some instruction on fitting on Widex's website. Since you're essentially new to hearing aids, I suspect you'd do fine initially with the S receivers if you want to save some money initially.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Right:

250/20 500/50 1K/70 2K/75 4K/70 8K/70

Left:

250/25 500/30 1K/70 2K/70 4K/75 8K/60

Wow, $108 for a wireless programmer is fantastic. (must admit I'm skeptical, but you seem pretty careful) If your voice sounded reasonable with the tulip domes, those could work fine. They'll allow for you to be able to take advantage of more high frequency amplification (if you want it) without feedback and allow for better noise reduction management.

Quote Originally Posted by ISR View Post
    I was aware that the open dome would not be the route to go. My research suggested a closed dome with two "vents" instead of one (though I've not been able to find those for Widex). The ones I demoed were tulip, and I did not know to look at the receiver at the time.

I do not know what fitting formula they were programmed for, but a kind person in the DIY area re-posted the Widex software that was hard to find. I come from and IT background and found the software to be very user friendly and hand holding. Once i had entered the model and my audiogram the software would overlay the receivers ability on top of it. The S receiver is apparently doable, with the M being recommended.

Someone posted a link in DIY for a company that has receivers for $43, and the wireless USB hardware for $108. This means I would be in a position to program them for about $100 and if needed change out the receivers for a reasonable amount. Would of course get new domes regardless.

Thank you for the tip on the classes, for about $100 with the ability to tweak on my own when I wanted to, I don't think I could get hurt.

RT-S.JPG RT-M.JPG

The only thing I can see that would change between the S and M is if I started losing more at 4K and above
    .25 .5 1 1.5 2 3.0 4.0 6.0 8.0

15 15 20 30 30 55 75 90 NR ​KS7
    10 10 20 15 25 35 65 85 95 WRS 100/92@45/40