Thread: Signia Pure Primax 5px vrs GN Resound Linx2 9

1. Default Signia Pure Primax 5px vrs GN Resound Linx2 9

Hello everyone,

I have a few questions and concerns in regards to my situation. I am the owner of a set of GN Resound Linx2 9's and soon to be a set of Signia Pure Primax 5px.
    My insurance just recently finally decided to cover a set of Signia Primax's and not long before that decision occurred i personally purchased my basically new Resound Linx2 9's
    and the phone clip unit+ for a steal of a bargain($200!!) from the son of a man who had recently passed. My audiologist programmed(to the best of his ability, story next)
    the Linx2's and i love them, best set of hearings aids i have ever had.

Now my problem is that now that i am getting a new and under warranty set of hearing aids in the Signia Pure Primax's 5px finally after months of some fuss with the insurance. Ive tested them and from all i can tell of the in house test, they are wonderful as well. However i enjoy and love my current aids. While my audiologist(a signia/oticon fan and partner) seemed to be a bit frustrated by the programming software and could not get the HP receivers input and changed
    from the shown MP receiver i still hear fairly well compared to my 10 year outdated previous models, but would like to get this fixed possibly so that i can unlock that extra power for my severe hearing loss.
    I actually had to help him get my aids programmed which is fine, i have used him nearly my whole life and have no qualms with him. He is just getting old and that is ok. We all do right.

What i am trying to figure out is which pair should i consider using going forward, which would be easier and more cost efficient to self program, and which should i pass on and sell to buy programming equipment? Obviously the warranty of the Pure Primax's is something i need to really think about, as the Linx2 9's to my knowledge no longer have a warranty since it is non transferable right? Ive done a bit of self programming research on the Linx2 9's and it appears its gonna cost $300-$500 to be able to self program them as well. What i do not know much about is the Signia Pure Primax 5px's or ones ability to self program and the cost to do so. I am leaning towards the warranty benefit alone.

Any advice, knowledge and feedback on the Signia Pure Primax's and what to do in this situation would be greatly appreciated.

The programming equipment to program the Primaxs should be the same as the Linx 2s, with possible exception of the connector to the hearing aid. I don't know what Linx 2s use, but the Primaxs use "pills." The Linxs seem like fine aids. If the Primax isn't any better, I'd stick with the Linxs. How old are the Linxs? They are a current aid as far as I know, but soon to be replaced by Linx 3s.

Quote Originally Posted by BingoJoe View Post
    Hello everyone,

I have a few questions and concerns in regards to my situation. I am the owner of a set of GN Resound Linx2 9's and soon to be a set of Signia Pure Primax 5px.
    My insurance just recently finally decided to cover a set of Signia Primax's and not long before that decision occurred i personally purchased my basically new Resound Linx2 9's
    and the phone clip unit+ for a steal of a bargain($200!!) from the son of a man who had recently passed. My audiologist programmed(to the best of his ability, story next)
    the Linx2's and i love them, best set of hearings aids i have ever had.

Now my problem is that now that i am getting a new and under warranty set of hearing aids in the Signia Pure Primax's 5px finally after months of some fuss with the insurance. Ive tested them and from all i can tell of the in house test, they are wonderful as well. However i enjoy and love my current aids. While my audiologist(a signia/oticon fan and partner) seemed to be a bit frustrated by the programming software and could not get the HP receivers input and changed
    from the shown MP receiver i still hear fairly well compared to my 10 year outdated previous models, but would like to get this fixed possibly so that i can unlock that extra power for my severe hearing loss.
    I actually had to help him get my aids programmed which is fine, i have used him nearly my whole life and have no qualms with him. He is just getting old and that is ok. We all do right.

What i am trying to figure out is which pair should i consider using going forward, which would be easier and more cost efficient to self program, and which should i pass on and sell to buy programming equipment? Obviously the warranty of the Pure Primax's is something i need to really think about, as the Linx2 9's to my knowledge no longer have a warranty since it is non transferable right? Ive done a bit of self programming research on the Linx2 9's and it appears its gonna cost $300-$500 to be able to self program them as well. What i do not know much about is the Signia Pure Primax 5px's or ones ability to self program and the cost to do so. I am leaning towards the warranty benefit alone.

Any advice, knowledge and feedback on the Signia Pure Primax's and what to do in this situation would be greatly appreciated.
    .25 .5 1 1.5 2 3.0 4.0 6.0 8.0

15 15 20 30 30 55 75 90 NR ​KS7
    10 10 20 15 25 35 65 85 95 WRS 100/92@45/40

What I would most certainly do in your situation, I would keep Linx and than get new aids in a year or two. If they allow you to get them now, they would allow you later as well. Then you could get newer technology and keep these as backup. I don't see much benefits now except just more hassle
    250 - 500 - 1k - 1.5k - 2k - 4k - 8k
    L 25 - 30 - 45 - - 55 - 50 - 65 - 60
    R 25 - 30 - 50 - - 60 - 55 - 60 - 65

..SRT..WRS.......MCL..UCL..PTA..AI
    L 45...88%.80dB...80..100...41..20
    R 45...96%.80dB...80..100...45..19

KS 7 (Dec 2016)

4. Default

@MDB,

Thank you for the reply. The man i bought them from said his father had gotten the Linx2 9's in August of 2016, hated them, never wore them and left them sitting in the closet within weeks after getting them.
    He died in November of 2016. The son didn't know alot about them and i was needing hearing aids badly at the time, having tried to get something done with my insurance for a while when i saw these listed on a facebook buy/sale/trade for $200. I had em home within hours and was pretty shocked to see they were a great top of the line tier hearing aid that had the ability to be pretty powerful. It was a blessing really. So they are less then a year old, practically brand new in my book. I also bought the new receivers for them on ebay, the HP power level in size 3 to accommodate my hearing loss my audiologist recommended and had them programmed soon after.

@nimaili,

Thank you for the reply. It is a rather odd but good situation to be in. I went from having 1 old hearing left working, 1 broke and dead one and fighting with the insurance for months to lucking across what turned out to be a heck of a deal and then the insurance finally figuring out how to cover a set of new hearing aids instead of just one as they originally said they could do only. My concern is what to do if the Linx2's end up needing repairing. Since i am a 2nd owner of these, i am assuming the warranty is void and my insurance is a total pain in the neck when it comes to anything hearing aids wise. They say they cover hearing aids but that amounts to blowing smoke and fighting for months, almost a year just to get new hearing aids or even repairs done on my old ones throughout the years past.

Yes, if you've got a loss that requires HP receivers, I can see the desire for backups. Regarding warranty. Don't know how Resound works, but sometimes if you can prove that you purchased them (would probably be easier if you still had contact with the seller) you can transfer the warranty. Might be worth a call to Resound. If you're on good terms with the audiologist who programmed the Resounds (or if there are other audiologists in town), you might be able to trial another aid if your Resounds need repair. That way you could use your insurance to have the potential of getting a true upgrade in a few years.
    .25 .5 1 1.5 2 3.0 4.0 6.0 8.0

15 15 20 30 30 55 75 90 NR ​KS7
    10 10 20 15 25 35 65 85 95 WRS 100/92@45/40

6. Default

If I had the free choice of either a pair of Linx 2's or Primax 5 PX's I don't know which I would choose.

I am biased toward Resound's accessories and connectivity options, but understand the Primax to be better in noise.
    Freq 250 500 1000 2000 4000 8000
    L 35 40 50 60 65 80
    R 30 35 30 40 60 75

Speech Discrimination
    L 48
    R 84

You didn't mention whether you have any out-of-pocket cost for the Signia or not, so I assume that there's none. I would also not pass up the opportunity to get the Signia now that your insurance has agreed to pay for it. I would not assume that they'll agree to pay for it the same 2 years from now because you never know what's going to happen 2 years from now. It's taken you long enough to fight to get the Signia covered by them, so don't waste this opportunity and get them paid for.

As to what to do with 2 sets of HAs, at least that's the problem you'd rather have. I would keep the Signia if I were you due to the warranty coverage and also your audi's familiarity with it over the Resound. I would try to resell the Resound on eBay and if I can't get a good deal for it, I'd keep it as a back up pair because it's always good to have a back up pair.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

KHz 0.25...0.5...0.75...1.0...1.5...2.0...3.0...4.0... 6.0...8.0

Left ...10...10....10.....30.....70....75....80....95.. ..90....80
    Right .25...30....40.....55.....75....85....90....90...1 00...100

A chicken in the hand.. Next time your insurance fight may end differently. Your employer may opt for lower benefits to cut his insurance cost, etc... Take the aids! Sell the linx pocket the cash or invest in the easytek package. Maybe your AuD will take them and upgrade you to 7px.
    Last edited by Doc Jake; 04-24-2017 at 03:06 PM.