Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Going to visit Costco (Canada)

Default Going to visit Costco (Canada)

I have an appointment with Costco (in Canada) in a bit more than a week for hearing aids. These will be my first ever hearing aids, and I am pretty green on the subject.

Could someone point me to useful resources to get some essential support for my visit? I already did a search on this forum and found 20 pages of threads mentioning Costco, which seems a bit unmanageable.

I'm compiling a list of questions that I want to ask the people at Costco. So far I have the following.
    • What brand and style of HAs do I need?
    • Will my HAs have a volume control?
    • Will I be able to tune the frequencies myself?
    • Will the HAs interfere with my glasses?
    • Plus of course questions re cost, guarantee, service, adjustments, etc.

What questions should I add to the list? (I don't spend much time on the phone, so connectivity to a phone is not important for now.)

Would much appreciate any pointers.

kHz
    .25 .50 .75
    1 2  ​346  ​8K
    Left20 20 25 30 35 60 55 50 55
    Right 20 20 25 35 30 45 55 50

2. Default

battery size? battery life?
    remote control? control via smartphone (even if you don't talk on the phone much)? streaming?
    hearing in noise (can't tell until you try it)?
    water resistant?
    warranty details?
    will they tone down the gain until you get used to them?
    different programs for different situations? selectable how?

Most of what you suggested would be covered as a matter of course I think.
    Last edited by d'Wooluf; 05-06-2017 at 12:28 AM.

With your hearing loss, most aids would be able to deal with it. Assuming cost is an issue, simplify things and get the Kirkland Signature 7, known on these forums as the KS7. You can learn more about them by looking under digital hearing aids and Rexton. They are RICs. They have a volume control. Unless you want to get into self programming, you won't be able to tune the frequencies yourself (that goes for all hearing aids) There is a tone control that will let you make the sound have more or less treble. Most people don't have any issues with glasses, but we've had a rare person in the forums have issues. Don't know Canadian specifics. In the US, the KS 7s cost $1699 for the pair and come with a 3 year guarantee. All adjustments and supplies (domes and wax filters) are free. Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    I have an appointment with Costco (in Canada) in a bit more than a week for hearing aids. These will be my first ever hearing aids, and I am pretty green on the subject.

Could someone point me to useful resources to get some essential support for my visit? I already did a search on this forum and found 20 pages of threads mentioning Costco, which seems a bit unmanageable.

I'm compiling a list of questions that I want to ask the people at Costco. So far I have the following.
    • What brand and style of HAs do I need?
    • Will my HAs have a volume control?
    • Will I be able to tune the frequencies myself?
    • Will the HAs interfere with my glasses?
    • Plus of course questions re cost, guarantee, service, adjustments, etc.

What questions should I add to the list? (I don't spend much time on the phone, so connectivity to a phone is not important for now.)

Would much appreciate any pointers.
    .25 .5 1 1.5 2 3.0 4.0 6.0 8.0

15 15 20 30 30 55 75 90 NR ​KS7
    10 10 20 15 25 35 65 85 95 WRS 100/92@45/40

Here's another vote for the Costco Kirkland KS7's. I'm new to hearing aids and I'm so far very satisfied with them. I tried a pair of hearing aids from United Healthcare for a month before I got the KS7's and it's like night and day. By the way, the more reading up here you do before going in, the better. You'll most likely be wearing whichever hearing aids you choose for years.
    Audiogram

250 500 750 1000 1500 2000 3000 4000 6000 8000
    Left 20 30 35 30 45 45 65 65 60 55
    Right 15 20 30 35 45 55 75 70 60 65

Thanks, guys, much appreciated.

Yes, I've been reading posts here, and learning, but it is kind of chaotic, reading a bit here and a bit there. Little by little some of the info is making sense.

I have already been to an audiologist, a small private clinic. The visit did not go well - not because of the audiologist, but because of me. I asked too many questions and asked the wrong questions. It still helped, I learned, but I wanted to be better prepared for the upcoming visit to Costco.

I will spend some time learning about the Kirkland Signature 7s. I can't find any info on hearing aid brands on the Canadian Costco website - do they sell the KS7 like in the US?

kHz
    .25 .50 .75
    1 2  ​346  ​8K

6. Default

The display at my closest Costco in Canada had Phonak, Rexton, bernafon, ReSound and Kirkland Signature which are de-featured Rexton's and the "version" is now 7. Thus the KS7 moniker. I seem to think that the other brands are also somewhat de-featured but I'm not certain.
    Much of the information you'll find here is the same except Canada only offers 3 months trial and the price is $1999 (CDN of course).

I'm pretty much a newbie too. It sucks having to get assistance but when the tv can be quieter for the spousal unit and they can dial down their speech volume it's all worth it. A couple additional techie things attracted me that made them a little easier to decide.
    Last edited by z10user2; 05-06-2017 at 10:34 PM.

I think as you learned.. don't go in and interrogate the AuD you will learn a lot more being civil then putting them on defense.

IMHO, The KS7 are an excellent aid particularly when you can get out the door with aids, easytek and tvlink for less $$$ than the cost of their other aids.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Jake View Post
    I think as you learned.. don't go in and interrogate the AuD you will learn a lot more being civil then putting them on defense.
    I don't behave like you do when talking to audiologists.

kHz
    .25 .50 .75
    1 2  ​346  ​8K

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    I don't behave like you do when talking to audiologists.
    The visit did not go well - not because of the audiologist, but because of me. I asked too many questions and asked the wrong questions

I doubt you will find an AuD smarter than you..

Blog Entries

Freddy, when people buy a particular aid, they tend to promote it. It is, because they know they made the very best choice and they can't be wrong. Understand that every aid has its fanboys. It like a thread that goes at it about Apple vs Windows.

So, take it all with a grain of salt. Consider that most of us are dumb users like those Win-Apple fanboys. You don't hear the audiologist and fitters posting here come up with similar views. And why would they fit any/all the brands if one was so superior? Retails are close for a reason.

So find a good fitter and depend on that person. And at Costco you have either a 90 or 180 day trial where you can determine if the brand/fitter has given you something that really improves you situation.
    Last edited by KenP; 05-08-2017 at 08:11 AM.
    Hidden Content
    KS6's w. Phone Clip +

Visit my blog here for post that I think valuable -- especially new members.

There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. -- William Shakespeare