Thread: New to forum: question on RIC and Costco aids

1. Default New to forum: question on RIC and Costco aids

I am a 55 year old female, unemployed but active in my church and other organizations. I am on my third set of aids in 13 years. My first set was small shell ďin the earĒ and hurt all the time so I switched to BTE. My first two sets were from Beltone. I know, that was a mistake, but back then I didnít know any better.
    My current H Aids: Six years old Unitron Latitude 16 BTE high power #13 battery with thick tubes and soft silicone molds. My molds are not vented. I change the tubes myself about every 5 months. I also have the Unitron ďUDirectĒ Bluetooth connecter with neck loop that I use for the TV. I moved out of state and do not have an audi where I now live. I went to a hearing center locally two years ago, and he just made me mad being a pure salesman. He didnít even do an audiogram on me!
    I recently got an IPhone 7, my first smart phone! I would like to be able to adjust/program aids with the iphone. I also heard that it can also be used as a remote mic, i.e. put it on the table in a restaurant. That sounds beneficial to me. Is the Cala 8 the only aid Costco sells that can do this?

My problem: I have trouble hearing many female voices. I went to a church womenís retreat this past weekend and during discussion times I had a hard time. I have had this problem for a long while. Sometimes I just gave up listening as it was too frustrating trying to figure out what was being said. I have a few female friends with soft voices that I canít even hear well when they are sitting right next to me! I can hear my husband very well.
    I know I need a current hearing test. The one I have posted below was from 2010. I have an appointment at Costco on June 7. I do not want to pay $4000 again for a pair of aids thus going to Costco.
    Question:
    Can you give me the pros and cons of Receiver In The Canal? Not sure if I can even wear those with my flat loss. I understand that the KS7 only comes in RIC. In addition to inheriting hearing loss from my Dad I also have very waxy ears that are moist all the time.
    With my hearing loss and waxy ears can I wear tulips/domes or should I stay with the thick tubes and molds? My molds are need of replacement either way.
    I also wonder if Frequency Compression would benefit me.
    Will my Unitron Bluetooth streamer neck loop work with another brand of HA?
    Any recommendations and advice are greatly appreciated! Thank you for reading!

RT 60 60 65 60 55 70
    LT 60 65 65 60 60 75
    SRT 65 Masking 45
    MCL 75 Masking 55
    UCL 85 Masking 65 same for both ears.
    I donít even know what SRT, MCL, and UCL even mean!

I'll just address your last comment. SRT is Speech recognition threshhold. Level at which you can repeat 50% of sounds. MCL is Most Comfortable Loudness. Loudness level that you are most comfortable with. UCL is Upper Comfortable Loudness. Level at which sound becomes uncomfortable. You have a pretty narrow range. I think that would make it incredibly challenging to adjust hearing aids so that you could hear a variety of loudness levels of speech. Caveat: I am not a professional. These are my lay interpretations.

Quote Originally Posted by MarionO View Post
    I am a 55 year old female, unemployed but active in my church and other organizations. I am on my third set of aids in 13 years. My first set was small shell ďin the earĒ and hurt all the time so I switched to BTE. My first two sets were from Beltone. I know, that was a mistake, but back then I didnít know any better.
    My current H Aids: Six years old Unitron Latitude 16 BTE high power #13 battery with thick tubes and soft silicone molds. My molds are not vented. I change the tubes myself about every 5 months. I also have the Unitron ďUDirectĒ Bluetooth connecter with neck loop that I use for the TV. I moved out of state and do not have an audi where I now live. I went to a hearing center locally two years ago, and he just made me mad being a pure salesman. He didnít even do an audiogram on me!
    I recently got an IPhone 7, my first smart phone! I would like to be able to adjust/program aids with the iphone. I also heard that it can also be used as a remote mic, i.e. put it on the table in a restaurant. That sounds beneficial to me. Is the Cala 8 the only aid Costco sells that can do this?

My problem: I have trouble hearing many female voices. I went to a church womenís retreat this past weekend and during discussion times I had a hard time. I have had this problem for a long while. Sometimes I just gave up listening as it was too frustrating trying to figure out what was being said. I have a few female friends with soft voices that I canít even hear well when they are sitting right next to me! I can hear my husband very well.
    I know I need a current hearing test. The one I have posted below was from 2010. I have an appointment at Costco on June 7. I do not want to pay $4000 again for a pair of aids thus going to Costco.
    Question:
    Can you give me the pros and cons of Receiver In The Canal? Not sure if I can even wear those with my flat loss. I understand that the KS7 only comes in RIC. In addition to inheriting hearing loss from my Dad I also have very waxy ears that are moist all the time.
    With my hearing loss and waxy ears can I wear tulips/domes or should I stay with the thick tubes and molds? My molds are need of replacement either way.

RT 60 60 65 60 55 70
    LT 60 65 65 60 60 75
    SRT 65 Masking 45
    MCL 75 Masking 55
    .25 .5 1 1.5 2 3.0 4.0 6.0 8.0

15 15 20 30 30 55 75 90 NR ​KS7
    10 10 20 15 25 35 65 85 95 WRS 100/92@45/40

The Resound Cala is the only Costco aid that allows streaming directly (without an intermediary device(like your neck loop) from iphones. No hearing aids can be programmed via smart phone. Most can change programs, volume, bass/treble via a smart phone. What hearing aid is suitable is going to depend on your audiogram, but RICs can be fitted with a custom mold. I think certain female voices are going to be a challenge. I think this is related to the narrow range you have between MCL and UCL. It's tough to have loud voices not be too loud and soft voices loud enough to hear with such a narrow range. Doubt I've answered all your questions, but let us know how the Costco appointment goes. Best wishes.

Question:

RT 60 60 65 60 55 70
    LT 60 65 65 60 60 75
    SRT 65 Masking 45
    MCL 75 Masking 55

Your hearing loss is pretty flat so I'm not sure if frequency compress (or frequency shifting as they call it) would help you much. Usually the idea is to shift the sounds at the frequency range where you loss is more severe to the frequency range where your loss is less severe so you can hear better there. But with the same loss everywhere, there's really no point in shifting anything anywhere. It would actually just make it worse.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

KHz 0.25...0.5...0.75...1.0...1.5...2.0...3.0...4.0... 6.0...8.0

Left ...10...10....10.....30.....70....75....80....95.. ..90....80
    Right .25...30....40.....55.....75....85....90....90...1 00...100

5. Default

Thank you for your responses. Kind of explains to me why I have so much trouble. Well, I guess I will see what my new test shows and what Costco says. Thanks again.

Question:

RT 60 60 65 60 55 70
    LT 60 65 65 60 60 75
    SRT 65 Masking 45
    MCL 75 Masking 55
    Have you gone to your HIS or audiologist and explained the problems you are having? If not that is probably the place to start. You could also have them turn up the overall gain by 5dB as well as decreasing the compression kneepoint by 5dB and see if that helps. Another thing to try is take a woman you have a hard time hearing along with you to see if the adjustments have made a difference.
    Oticon Agil Pro w/streamer

-250 500 1000 1500 2000 3000 4000 6000 8000
    L 10--5----10----30---50----70----85---80---80
    R 5--10----20----35---45----85----85--100--100

SP Disc ------------- SRT
    L 88% @55db ------- L-10
    R 90% @55db------- R-25

7. Default

I don't have an audiologist where I now live. I couldn't find anyone local that works on my brand. Today I had my appt. at Costco. I was very pleased with the staff and the thorough hearing test I was given. My hearing test results were a little bit worse than the prior test 7 years ago. I wasn't surprised though. Here are the results:
    Right: 65 65 70 65 65 60 60 70 80 Left: 60 65 65 65 60 65 60 75 80
    SRT: Rt 60, Lt 65
    WRS: Rt 80, LT 75, Bi 75
    Mask 75
    Score Rt 72, LT 72, Bi 80
    MCL 70 both
    UCL Rt 85, Lt 80
    Using my current silicone earmolds she let me demo three brands at the store. (Never given that option before at hearing centers!). I did not like the Kirkland 7. It sounded too much like an electronic microphone even after she made several adjustments. The Resound Calla 8 and the Bernafon BTE both sounded about the same so I ordered the Calla so I can use it with my Iphone. I go back in two weeks to pick them up. Two employees worked together to make the impressions for my new soft silicone earmolds. He even took a photo of my old molds and sent it to the Resound office to make sure they make ones similar. He said mine were not common. I paid $2600 for the aids and another $80 for both earmolds together. If I am happy with these, I will order the TV Streamer at a later date. I was very happy with the service I was given during my two hour visit.

Glad it went well. Let us know how you like them.

I don't have an audiologist where I now live. I couldn't find anyone local that works on my brand. Today I had my appt. at Costco. I was very pleased with the staff and the thorough hearing test I was given. My hearing test results were a little bit worse than the prior test 7 years ago. I wasn't surprised though. Here are the results:
    Right: 65 65 70 65 65 60 60 70 80 Left: 60 65 65 65 60 65 60 75 80
    SRT: Rt 60, Lt 65
    WRS: Rt 80, LT 75, Bi 75
    Mask 75
    Score Rt 72, LT 72, Bi 80
    MCL 70 both
    UCL Rt 85, Lt 80
    Using my current silicone earmolds she let me demo three brands at the store. (Never given that option before at hearing centers!). I did not like the Kirkland 7. It sounded too much like an electronic microphone even after she made several adjustments. The Resound Calla 8 and the Bernafon BTE both sounded about the same so I ordered the Calla so I can use it with my Iphone. I go back in two weeks to pick them up. Two employees worked together to make the impressions for my new soft silicone earmolds. He even took a photo of my old molds and sent it to the Resound office to make sure they make ones similar. He said mine were not common. I paid $2600 for the aids and another $80 for both earmolds together. If I am happy with these, I will order the TV Streamer at a later date. I was very happy with the service I was given during my two hour visit.