Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Costco. Flat Loss.

  1. Default Costco. Flat Loss.

    I am now profoundly HOH according to Costco yesterday and my audiogram is basically flat. Costco has never done a good job for me and I am not sure if I can trust their data for the latest audiogram. I have been to 3 Costco stores in the last few years, all bummers. So I need good aids I can program myself. My aids go out frequently with moisture and I think a RIC (speaker in ear) may be less liable to this issue. My loss is similar to Gery R loss as posted. It makes no sense to me to go to an audi anymore as I am facing a dilemma in finance and in available options. I am retired on fixed income and want simply to spend the remaining years I have left as much in wilderness backpacking as possible. My question is on the Oticon OPN 1: Did you buy these online? If so, do they give you a self-program module to use? I understand that is possible. It sounds attractive to me. I cannot see how an audiologist can do better than I can if I can self-program. Are the OPNs moisture resistant? Thanks for details on your experience.
    HZ.... Left.....Right
    250.. 60........70
    500...65........65
    750...65........70
    1K.....60........80
    2K.....80........85
    3K.....110......105
    4K.....110.......110

    31OCT2013Costco

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by georged193 View Post
    I am now profoundly HOH according to Costco yesterday and my audiogram is basically flat. Costco has never done a good job for me and I am not sure if I can trust their data for the latest audiogram. I have been to 3 Costco stores in the last few years, all bummers. So I need good aids I can program myself. My aids go out frequently with moisture and I think a RIC (speaker in ear) may be less liable to this issue. My loss is similar to Gery R loss as posted. It makes no sense to me to go to an audi anymore as I am facing a dilemma in finance and in available options. I am retired on fixed income and want simply to spend the remaining years I have left as much in wilderness backpacking as possible. My question is on the Oticon OPN 1: Did you buy these online? If so, do they give you a self-program module to use? I understand that is possible. It sounds attractive to me. I cannot see how an audiologist can do better than I can if I can self-program. Are the OPNs moisture resistant? Thanks for details on your experience.
    I did not programm them myself, however the software is very minimalistic, I would say if anything is easy to selfprogramm it should be the OPNs, so far(2 Months) I had zero issues, wear them 14 hours a day and also work out with them, I usually change filters every 6 weeks, so far no issues or glued up filters.
    Left/Right//kHz // Oticon OPN1 105dB C-Shell with support

    45/55//0.25
    60/70// 0.5
    70/70//1
    60/70//2
    60/60//3
    50/45//4
    55/50//6
    45/55//8

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gery_R View Post
    I did not programm them myself, however the software is very minimalistic, I would say if anything is easy to selfprogramm it should be the OPNs, so far(2 Months) I had zero issues, wear them 14 hours a day and also work out with them, I usually change filters every 6 weeks, so far no issues or glued up filters.
    I've had my OPNs for 6 months now and I haven't had to change the filters yet. But then my ears don't produce much wax anyway. I just manually inspect the receivers every few weeks and clean out any wax residue before it gets to the filter opening anyway.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

    KHz 0.25...0.5...0.75...1.0...1.5...2.0...3.0...4.0... 6.0...8.0

    Left ...10...10....10.....30.....70....75....80....95.. ..90....80
    Right .25...30....40.....55.....75....85....90....90...1 00...100

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Wales, UK
    Posts
    3,478

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by georged193 View Post
    I am now profoundly HOH according to Costco yesterday and my audiogram is basically flat. Costco has never done a good job for me and I am not sure if I can trust their data for the latest audiogram. I have been to 3 Costco stores in the last few years, all bummers. So I need good aids I can program myself. My aids go out frequently with moisture and I think a RIC (speaker in ear) may be less liable to this issue. My loss is similar to Gery R loss as posted. It makes no sense to me to go to an audi anymore as I am facing a dilemma in finance and in available options. I am retired on fixed income and want simply to spend the remaining years I have left as much in wilderness backpacking as possible. My question is on the Oticon OPN 1: Did you buy these online? If so, do they give you a self-program module to use? I understand that is possible. It sounds attractive to me. I cannot see how an audiologist can do better than I can if I can self-program. Are the OPNs moisture resistant? Thanks for details on your experience.
    Your loss is very different from GerryR.

    The fitting ideology of the Opn is really the opposite of what you need.
    'He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life.'
    Link to my entry in the Hidden Content section.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content - Maintenance Stuff
    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    3,567

    Default

    You loss is not similar to Gery R's, yours is much worse. If moisture is a real problem go with a waterproof HA(Aquaris) or use EarGear or HA sweat bands religiously. RIC will not solve your problem since the case for the HA is still behind your ear and that is where the guts of the HA is. If I were you I would get a good back up and send them out on a regular basis for cleanings before you have the moisture issues. Good luck!
    Oticon Agil Pro w/streamer

    -250 500 1000 1500 2000 3000 4000 6000 8000
    L 10--5----10----30---50----70----85---80---80
    R 5--10----20----35---45----85----85--100--100

    SP Disc ------------- SRT
    L 88% @55db ------- L-10
    R 90% @55db------- R-25

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Volusiano View Post
    I've had my OPNs for 6 months now and I haven't had to change the filters yet. But then my ears don't produce much wax anyway. I just manually inspect the receivers every few weeks and clean out any wax residue before it gets to the filter opening anyway.

    my audi said I should change them every 6 to 8 weeks as that is recommended by oticon. I guess there can be bacteria on the filters that can get into your canal after a time. the coating of the filters doesn't last that long.
    Left/Right//kHz // Oticon OPN1 105dB C-Shell with support

    45/55//0.25
    60/70// 0.5
    70/70//1
    60/70//2
    60/60//3
    50/45//4
    55/50//6
    45/55//8

  7. Default

    I agree that my loss is severe and not exactly like others posted. I wear AGX si 70 or something like that. They are conking out after 3 years near the end of the guarantee-funny how things do that. My dissatisfaction with Costco is that my experience is the people who fit you there are often new to the game, not very flexible and I have to wait eons for an appointment. I need a lot of tweaking. I think I can tweak better than the audi could if I had aids that I could self-adjust with a bluetooth gadget in the real world. Buy Hear sells the opn aids and lends you a kit to do that but I do not know how well it works and that is what I want feedback on. As for moisture resistance, well it is a bomb in this business. Somehow I can buy a cheap digital watch now days that I can swim with, but not hearing aids. So the Science of audiology as practiced by professionals to me is more like the Science of making a Profit and I am just about totally burned out with the time, expense, and BS of it all. Sorry if this sounds angry, but I get by and doing an 80thousand dollar surgery for a CI on one side is not going to be much help to me, or to my country for that matter. Thanks to all for listening, I would really like to know how the Buy Hear bluetooth self adjusting gadget works if anyone has experience with it.
    HZ.... Left.....Right
    250.. 60........70
    500...65........65
    750...65........70
    1K.....60........80
    2K.....80........85
    3K.....110......105
    4K.....110.......110

    31OCT2013Costco

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by georged193 View Post
    I agree that my loss is severe and not exactly like others posted. I wear AGX si 70 or something like that. They are conking out after 3 years near the end of the guarantee-funny how things do that. My dissatisfaction with Costco is that my experience is the people who fit you there are often new to the game, not very flexible and I have to wait eons for an appointment. I need a lot of tweaking. I think I can tweak better than the audi could if I had aids that I could self-adjust with a bluetooth gadget in the real world. Buy Hear sells the opn aids and lends you a kit to do that but I do not know how well it works and that is what I want feedback on. As for moisture resistance, well it is a bomb in this business. Somehow I can buy a cheap digital watch now days that I can swim with, but not hearing aids. So the Science of audiology as practiced by professionals to me is more like the Science of making a Profit and I am just about totally burned out with the time, expense, and BS of it all. Sorry if this sounds angry, but I get by and doing an 80thousand dollar surgery for a CI on one side is not going to be much help to me, or to my country for that matter. Thanks to all for listening, I would really like to know how the Buy Hear bluetooth self adjusting gadget works if anyone has experience with it.
    Hi Georged193, you should reach out to "abarsanti" who is a member on this forum who purchased OPNs from BuyHear.com and got to keep the wireless FittingLink 3.0 programming module for an extended amount of time (several months?) so he should be able to give you his perspective on how easy the fitting software is because he had it for a long time and might have spent a lot of time fiddling with it himself. I think this model is probably the best compromise where you won't have to shell out $ to program the HA yourself, but you get to keep the programming device for an extended amount of time to fiddle around with to your heart's content before you have to return it. Usually once you've found the sweet spot for your programming I would think that you wouldn't need to fiddle around much with it afterward.

    As for the moisture resistance, the OPN has an IP68 rating which is the highest rating for dust and moisture resistance available that I can tell. But I've still been told not to take a shower or go swimming with it, just OK for workout/sweating and the like. A cheap digital watch is fully enclosed so more easily sealed, compared to a hearing aid with battery door and microphone and the receiver are open somewhat although probably nanocoated. So I can understand how it'd be much easier to make a cheap digital watch to be more moisture resistance than to make an HA moisture resistance.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

    KHz 0.25...0.5...0.75...1.0...1.5...2.0...3.0...4.0... 6.0...8.0

    Left ...10...10....10.....30.....70....75....80....95.. ..90....80
    Right .25...30....40.....55.....75....85....90....90...1 00...100

  9. #9

    Default

    You just can't catch a break. Go pay for an audiogram or two and see how they compare with Cost o.. Don't buy from Costco you have already decided you Wont be happy.

  10. Default

    You are right about waterproofing the watch, but I do think hearing aids could be made a lot more water resistant despite the openings. But your comment is sound and I have just about given up on water resistance. I will contact abarsanti and thank you for the tip. I suspect Costco has very good people but my three stores did not do a good job. That is the breaks I guess. If audiology is a science, fitting should not involve so much guess-work. That is my frustrated opinion. But hearing is complex and I do appreciate the imperfect restoration of my hearing by the technology, and I don't expect this to come free: profit does move the world and at age 77 I am not holding my breath on changing that.
    HZ.... Left.....Right
    250.. 60........70
    500...65........65
    750...65........70
    1K.....60........80
    2K.....80........85
    3K.....110......105
    4K.....110.......110

    31OCT2013Costco

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •