Thread: Mechanical reputation of Starkeys?

Default Mechanical reputation of Starkeys?

Good day, all.

I am new to the forum and just recently posted this question in another area of the forum. However, I thought maybe this might be a better place to get some feedback (no pun intended ). If there is already information regarding my question, I apologize and would appreciate someone directing me to where it is on the forum. Otherwise..

I am being fitted for hearing aids this month (BTE with open wire that goes into the canal), and due to my unique situation I am limited to using one particular audiologist who I think exclusively uses Starkey HA's and fully recommends them due to her experiences with the product. However, I was tested three years ago (but did not get hearing aids then) by another audiologist who vehemently said "DO NOT BUY STARKEY HA's!". They said that they break constantly and that users have perpetual issues with them. I recently went online and did a search for customer reviews on Starkey HA's and I found the majority of the reviews from users to be very negative - confirming what I was told by the prior audiologist.

So what has been your experience with this brand, mechanically speaking? Reliable or continually giving you problems with not working correctly?

Thank you kindly for any input, folks.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by musikfan View Post
    Good day, all.

I am new to the forum and just recently posted this question in another area of the forum. However, I thought maybe this might be a better place to get some feedback (no pun intended ). If there is already information regarding my question, I apologize and would appreciate someone directing me to where it is on the forum. Otherwise..

I am being fitted for hearing aids this month (BTE with open wire that goes into the canal), and due to my unique situation I am limited to using one particular audiologist who I think exclusively uses Starkey HA's and fully recommends them due to her experiences with the product. However, I was tested three years ago (but did not get hearing aids then) by another audiologist who vehemently said "DO NOT BUY STARKEY HA's!". They said that they break constantly and that users have perpetual issues with them. I recently went online and did a search for customer reviews on Starkey HA's and I found the majority of the reviews from users to be very negative - confirming what I was told by the prior audiologist.

So what has been your experience with this brand, mechanically speaking? Reliable or continually giving you problems with not working correctly?

Thank you kindly for any input, folks.
    I have had Starkey Halo's for 3 years. Never had a repair. I walk a lot and sweat a lot in the summer, no problems with that. The little whisker thing (fishing line) that is supposed to lock them in broke off the RH one the other day and I will go in to have it replaced when I get a round tuit.
    They work well with my phone for telecalls and for voice commands from the Maps program when I am driving (not phone calls when I drive, I don't do that). Are there better ones? Probably. The Halo 2's are probably better than the originals too. I have size 13 batteries and replace them every Saturday morning. Mechanically? No problems here, unless you consider that mono filament thing a mechanical failure (I probably pulled on it too many times).

The universe is composed of electrons, neutrons, protons and......morons.
    \_(ツ)_/
    LouYo
    L: . 30 .. 25 ... 30 ... 50 ... 55 ... 60 ... 70
    F: 250 .500 1000 2000 3000 4000 8000
    R: . 40 .. 40 ... 35 ... 60 ... 60 ... 65 ... 65

Thanks for the input, louyo. Your comment makes me feel a little bit more at ease. I think I'm probably just going to have to go with the Starkeys and trust that my audiologist won't steer me wrong. I'm probably worrying about something needlessly at this point since I haven't even got them yet.

I would look into what type of warranty they have and how helpful your audiologist is. If you have problems and need to have them sent in some will be happy to give you a loner pair. With any technology you can get a lemon, so it's really the service that makes the main difference.

You can get a three year warranty with your aids, or maybe better. These are generally provided by the instrument distributor to your audiologist.

To get back to the question, I've been very happy with the build quality of my Starkeys. I was hesitant about the brand at first because all the big names were coming out of Europe, but I find the sonic qualities better than Signia (nee Siemens). I did have one battery door on my ITC that broke, but it was a simple and instant fix at the audiologist. Now, I have had some issues with the dsp inside. It now hesitates to boot (kind of like a PC that is really slow to boot). Possibly an issue with the reset circuit and/or charge pump if there is one. Anyway this did not sway me against the brand. I am looking at new Starkeys now because I like the sound of them.
    My Aids:
    2003 - Unitron Conversa - lots of features, poor audio quality. REJECTED
    2003 - Sonic Natura 2se - Good, KEPT
    2012 - Unitron Moxi 6 - had basically same reaction as Conversa. REJECTED
    2012 - Sonic Velocity 12 - Good sound quality, good basic no-frills aid. These are my backups. KEPT
    2012 - Siemens Motion 701 CIC. Sounded just "OK". REJECTED
    2012 - Starkey Wi i110 - Good, KEPT (ReSound maybe better?)
    2015 - Siemens Pure Micon RIC (trial device circa 2014/2015) - These are "ok".

Quote Originally Posted by grantb5 View Post
    You can get a three year warranty with your aids, or maybe better. These are generally provided by the instrument distributor to your audiologist.

To get back to the question, I've been very happy with the build quality of my Starkeys. I was hesitant about the brand at first because all the big names were coming out of Europe, but I find the sonic qualities better than Signia (nee Siemens). I did have one battery door on my ITC that broke, but it was a simple and instant fix at the audiologist. Now, I have had some issues with the dsp inside. It now hesitates to boot (kind of like a PC that is really slow to boot). Possibly an issue with the reset circuit and/or charge pump if there is one. Anyway this did not sway me against the brand. I am looking at new Starkeys now because I like the sound of them.
    Thanks for your input. I appreciate it very much. I hope you will have good success with yours as well. From what I am reading, it appears that there are so many factors that come into play with hearing aids - an innumerable amount of things that affect the quality and performance of them. Still, the technology is amazing, and I'm grateful for what I have. I was able to get mine free of cost through our local OVR (Office of Vocational Rehabilitation). I'm glad I got them now so that I have time to adjust to them before school starts. I'm hoping to hear my students better in the classroom this coming year.
    HZ 250 500 1000 2000 3000 4000 6000 8000
    LE 0 0 0 55 50 45 30 30
    RE 5 5 5 60 55 50 35 35