Thread: Suggestions please

1. Default Suggestions please

I've had Phonak Audeo Q90 BTE RIC for 3 years now. These HA's costed $7,500.00 AUS to buy. Over this 3 years when they are working they are good. Sadly my HA's have spent a lot of time back with Phonak for repairs. After each repair they have lost a lot of speech clarity, to the extent that I'm now struggling to hear with them. My audio has suggested that I get new ones as my Phonak aren't doing the job they were meant to do anymore. She has also suggested that I change from the RIC to the BTE styles to help lessen the possibility of any moisture getting into the aids.

To to those of you who have had both types of these aids how have you found the change with the receiver being moved to BTE?
    What brand of aid do you have? Are you happy with the quality and clarity of sound? Have you experienced problems with moisture getting into the aid? How have you found the company with repairs?
    lastly does anyone know of any company that will offer extended warranty outside of the manufacturers warranty?
    Thanks in advance.

My first reaction if these were my aids would be to ask Phonak to replace the receivers entirely to new ones under the warranty (if it's still covered) if your audi can corroborate somehow with the mfg that the quality of the sound is no the same as originally experienced. If this had already been done and there's still deterioration of sound quality, I would try to get the hearing aids themselves (not just the receivers) be replaced under warranty as well, or at least the mics on the hearing aids. I don't see how the digital processing circuitry in the aids deteriorate, because as digital products they either work or they don't. But the analog mics and receivers can degrade over time and due to moisture I guess.

It may very well be that it's your hearing that has deteriorated and not the hearing aids, however. Your audi has to make that call (that your hearing has not deteriorated) and support you in trying to claim the warranty with the mfg, though.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

KHz 0.25...0.5...0.75...1.0...1.5...2.0...3.0...4.0... 6.0...8.0

Left ...10...10....10.....30.....70....75....80....95.. ..90....80
    Right .25...30....40.....55.....75....85....90....90...1 00...100

I would be raising hell with your AuD and Phonak.. IF your hearing hasn't went downhill. Without your audiogram from when you bought your aids your current its all going be guessing.

4. Default

They only had a 3 year warranty on them and that finished 6 weeks ago. My Audi replaces the receivers free of charge (under and Aus Gov program) as they are needed. I went to consumer affairs here in Aus they responded as I signed a 45 day replacement only guarantee when I purchased them I don't have a leg to stand on. I've looked into Oticon, Siemens, Unitron, Widex they all require a 35-45 day replacement guarantee to be signed when purchase takes place.

Doc Jake I wrote to Phonak and didn't get a response. I posted on their Facebook page, not only I didn't get a response, but they didn't publish my post either. It's not for the want of trying though.
    Last edited by Deaf piper; 05-19-2017 at 05:35 PM.

Find a new AuD and a different brand of aids!!

So from what you're saying the replacement warranty is only in the first 45 days and the 3 year warranty is only for repair and not for replacement? I don't know if there's different laws in different countries, but here in the US, I didn't have to sign any 30-45 days replacement warranty of any sort. The receipt simply says that I have 3 year warranty from the mfg (Oticon). I can only assume that the warranty covers either repair or replacement (if repair didn't fix the issue).

You're not the first person I heard from in this forum that complains about deteriorating sound quality on Phonak HAs over the years. I think I heard the same from a couple of other people. I think one person also said that the demo Phonak sounded fine to them but after they ordered them, their own for some reason didn't sound as good.

If this is all water under the bridge to you and you just want to move forward, moving from a RIC to a BTE configuration to have the receiver be inside the HA instead of be inside the canal to avoid moisture may sound like a good idea, as long as you don't mind a bigger HA with a receiver built into it, and the tube to the HA being more conspicuous than the RIC wire. But I wonder if it's really that simple, because if you get a newer RIC HA with an IP68 rating, it may still be a better bet than getting a BTE HA with a lower IP rating that is more prone to moisture issues. So it's not all black and white that it's always better for reliability to move from a CIC to a BTE to address moisture issues. Beside, your bad experience with your Phonak might not have been due to moisture issues but might have been simply due to reliability issues. So moving from a Phonak RIC to a Phonak BTE may not help if it's a reliability issue but not due to moisture. But the bottom line is check out the IP rating when selecting your future HAs and make sure it has an IP rating of 68 for best moisture resistance spec.

Based on your bad experience with Phonak reliability and service, I assume that you'll be considering other brands and not Phonak anymore for your future HA.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

KHz 0.25...0.5...0.75...1.0...1.5...2.0...3.0...4.0... 6.0...8.0

Left ...10...10....10.....30.....70....75....80....95.. ..90....80
    Right .25...30....40.....55.....75....85....90....90...1 00...100

not sure about that replace clause, however if you send them to repair and aren't satisfied with the outcome you surely can pressure them, can't you?

Replacement is simply necessary, there's no repair for worn down receivers and microphones....

be sure to have that covered in the future before you buy.
    Left/Right//kHz // Oticon OPN1 105dB C-Shell with support

45/55//0.25
    60/70// 0.5
    70/70//1
    60/70//2
    60/60//3
    50/45//4
    55/50//6
    45/55//8

Quote Originally Posted by Deaf piper View Post
    They only had a 3 year warranty on them and that finished 6 weeks ago. My Audi replaces the receivers free of charge (under and Aus Gov program) as they are needed. I went to consumer affairs here in Aus they responded as I signed a 45 day replacement only guarantee when I purchased them I don't have a leg to stand on. I've looked into Oticon, Siemens, Unitron, Widex they all require a 35-45 day replacement guarantee to be signed when purchase takes place.

Doc Jake I wrote to Phonak and didn't get a response. I posted on their Facebook page, not only I didn't get a response, but they didn't publish my post either. It's not for the want of trying though.
    Your audi screwed up on this one. If they knew you were having or had had problems with the HA's and the 3 year warranty was drawing to a close they should of called you in so they could send the HA's in to be refurbished. This is what happened with my wife's Phonak's, on each visit her audi reminded her to come in a month before the warranty expired so they could send the HA's in and then she called to remind her about a month and a half before the warranty expired. When they came back they were basically new HA's. You paid your audi $7,500 for the aids and the least they could of done is make sure you got your money's worth, they didn't do this, so I would also look for a different audi and try different HA's.
    Oticon Agil Pro w/streamer

-250 500 1000 1500 2000 3000 4000 6000 8000
    L 10--5----10----30---50----70----85---80---80
    R 5--10----20----35---45----85----85--100--100

SP Disc ------------- SRT
    L 88% @55db ------- L-10
    R 90% @55db------- R-25

9. Default

In Australia there's a statutory warranty in law that says that products need to last for a 'reasonable' length of time. The definition of 'reasonable' is up for debate. In this case, we're talking about a $7500 item which would imply that 'reasonable time' would be quite long. On the other hand we're talking about hearing aids which are miniature and used most of the time. That would bring 'reasonable time' down by quite a lot. The problem is the consumer has to approach the retailer and negotiate. Easier said than done when the retailer (and the distributor who supplies them) have far more resources and experience in dealing with those sort of situations. Maybe the op has zero chance of getting the aids replaced, but the option of getting the aids returned to working order is maybe still on the table. If the audio and Phonak have flat-out refused to play ball, it's probably a matter of going back to consumer affairs, mentioning 'statutory warranty' and seeing what they say.