Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Rate Costco people

  1. Default Rate Costco people

    Has anyone started a thread to say which CostCo branches have a great Audi? In my opinion the only reason to buy a hearing aid from a non Costco location is that you can get fitted by people who know what they are doing, but you are paying at least double. A badly fitted pair of aids is worthless, I have not yet met a CostCo Audi that is even average let alone great...

    Or has anyone been able to pay to get a Costco aid fitted correctly elsewhere, seems like with the new law passing that could be a good business for someone....
    Bernafon Acriva 9 from Costco with SoundGate 2
    Streaming to aids 4+ hours a day

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    555

    Default

    Rating audiologists/hearing aid fitters is challenging because we're all so different in what we want/expect. I have experience with one Costco hearing aid fitter and an audiologist from a major HMO. The Costco person was fairly new (2 years) but was pleasant and was clearly working off some sort of quality check list. She gave a much more thorough hearing test than the audiologist and also did REM. She had decent if not stellar knowledge but was more than willing to contact a rep for stuff she didn't know. My Mom likes her audiologist just fine. There are just too many variables in people, hearing, equipment and professionals to come up with anything remotely resembling objectivity.

    Quote Originally Posted by garyjlavin View Post
    Has anyone started a thread to say which CostCo branches have a great Audi? In my opinion the only reason to buy a hearing aid from a non Costco location is that you can get fitted by people who know what they are doing, but you are paying at least double. A badly fitted pair of aids is worthless, I have not yet met a CostCo Audi that is even average let alone great...

    Or has anyone been able to pay to get a Costco aid fitted correctly elsewhere, seems like with the new law passing that could be a good business for someone....
    .25 .5 1 1.5 2 3.0 4.0 6.0 8.0

    15 15 20 30 30 55 75 90 NR ​KS7
    10 10 20 15 25 35 65 85 95 WRS 100/92@45/40

  3. #3

    Default

    I've found the audiologists at the Clearwater Mall Costco to be excellent. They know what they are doing, are pleasant, personable, and professional. While my go-to Costco audiologist went to a new store, the one I use now is excellent, as well.
    dbriefly

    HA user for many years. Formerly Resound BTE. Currently Phonak Brio RIC from Costco.

    500 1000 1500 2000 3000 4000 6000 8000
    L 15 20 60 75 60 75 70 70
    R 15 20 65 60 65 60 65 60

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    NW Indiana
    Posts
    2,543
    Blog Entries
    13

    Default

    Costco has a program for regular employees to bid to be an HIS. It is a promotion type of thing for those with seniority that don't want to go the management route but deserving promotion from their work. I have followed the path of one. It seems like a very professional result. As some have mentioned, Costco has a very specific standard -- complete test, REM etc. They have ongoing seminars in each area where continuing education takes place. I heard of one that went into properly fitting mold which seemed a bit overkill but that's what they do to promote quality. (I bought mold online where I did the operation from a short set of instructions and they fit well.)

    I use this new HIS and he's great. I've the KS6 and having a bit of trouble with them that we couldn't really work out to his satisfaction and he recommended getting the Resound rep in to consult. That appointment is for next month. He was going to get him in earlier but I said lets do it on his next regular visit. That's the middle of next month. I don't think you could ask for more.

    The person he replaced was a women with a strong professional background who got a heck of an offer to operate a hospital's audiology department. She was impressed with his successful work getting the HIS; saying he was very good and that's been my experience.
    Hidden Content
    KS6's w. Phone Clip +

    Visit my blog here for post that I think valuable -- especially new members.

    There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. -- William Shakespeare





  5. Default

    Costco has Hearing Aid Specialists and Audiologists. Credentials posted very visibly on wall. My best experience was with a Hearing Aid Specialist. He is no longer with Costco. The least favorable experience was with an Audiologist. I could go into details however the Audiologist has moved on and no longer with Costco. Costco hired another Audiologist and I made an appointment to have a hearing test. My appointment was cancelled and I was told my business was no longer wanted. I was always cooperative and never belligerent. I am an Executive Member and we shop constantly at Costco.
    I was told by original Specialist that I could try and return as many sets of aids I wanted to. I read and reread Costco's return policy.
    My last question to the Audiologist was simply could we work on speech recognition. I was told I expect too much and never dispensed the Aids to me.
    I had to interrupt the Audiologists texting session in the sound booth to ask this question when arriving for my appointment. Somehow my records must have been red flagged. When feeling you can try and return as many aids as you can til you find the set that is acceptable to you please be careful.
    Costco has a quality Hearing Aid department. Rating and picking certain ones is difficult. Sometimes first impressions are the most correct ones.
    I would love to be allowed access to their services again someday.
    Audiogram
    R 250 65 500 65 750 65 1000 60 1500 60 2000 65 3000 65 4000 65 6000 65 8000 60
    L 250 30 500 25 750 30 1000 30 1500 35 2000 40 3000 65 4000 60 6000 50 8000 65

  6. #6

    Default

    IF Costco really treated you this way I would be very interested in hearing the rest of the story.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    NW Indiana
    Posts
    2,543
    Blog Entries
    13

    Default

    Why don't you ask for an explanation from the store manager why you are being "red flagged"? If you don't get a satisfactory answer, I'd contact the division management which includes the audiology supervisor who should be able to provide a complete explanation/resolution.
    Hidden Content
    KS6's w. Phone Clip +

    Visit my blog here for post that I think valuable -- especially new members.

    There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. -- William Shakespeare





  8. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KenP View Post
    Why don't you ask for an explanation from the store manager why you are being "red flagged"? If you don't get a satisfactory answer, I'd contact the division management which includes the audiology supervisor who should be able to provide a complete explanation/resolution.
    It would be interesting to know a little more about the events leading to this statement:

    "I was told by original Specialist that I could try and return as many sets of aids I wanted to".
    Freq 250 500 1000 2000 4000 8000
    L 35 40 50 60 65 80
    R 30 35 30 40 60 75

    Speech Discrimination
    L 48
    R 84

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    3,567

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 25Firefighter View Post
    Costco has Hearing Aid Specialists and Audiologists. Credentials posted very visibly on wall. My best experience was with a Hearing Aid Specialist. He is no longer with Costco. The least favorable experience was with an Audiologist. I could go into details however the Audiologist has moved on and no longer with Costco. Costco hired another Audiologist and I made an appointment to have a hearing test. My appointment was cancelled and I was told my business was no longer wanted. I was always cooperative and never belligerent. I am an Executive Member and we shop constantly at Costco.
    I was told by original Specialist that I could try and return as many sets of aids I wanted to. I read and reread Costco's return policy.
    My last question to the Audiologist was simply could we work on speech recognition. I was told I expect too much and never dispensed the Aids to me.
    I had to interrupt the Audiologists texting session in the sound booth to ask this question when arriving for my appointment. Somehow my records must have been red flagged. When feeling you can try and return as many aids as you can til you find the set that is acceptable to you please be careful.
    Costco has a quality Hearing Aid department. Rating and picking certain ones is difficult. Sometimes first impressions are the most correct ones.
    I would love to be allowed access to their services again someday.
    I too would ask for an explanation from the manager as to why you were "red flagged." You are not the first person on this forum to be "red flagged," the others were given the boot for returning too many HA's, my guess is that was your problem too.
    Oticon Agil Pro w/streamer

    -250 500 1000 1500 2000 3000 4000 6000 8000
    L 10--5----10----30---50----70----85---80---80
    R 5--10----20----35---45----85----85--100--100

    SP Disc ------------- SRT
    L 88% @55db ------- L-10
    R 90% @55db------- R-25

  10. Default

    Thanks for input. I posted this to inform others to be careful when feeling unlimited return policy. It was unexpected with no warning. Not suggesting no fault of my own. I ask what happened to returned hearing aids and was told returned to manufacturer.
    You do not realize what you have until its gone. Hearing Aids will never return your hearing to what it was. Need to be patient, work with what you have.
    Those still in Costco's good graces count yourself blessed. They do have excellent Hearing Aid Services. Tried 2 other providers and there is no comparison.
    If ever given access to their services again whatever recommended by their Hearing Aid Department will be it no questions and I will not even think of returning them.
    Audiogram
    R 250 65 500 65 750 65 1000 60 1500 60 2000 65 3000 65 4000 65 6000 65 8000 60
    L 250 30 500 25 750 30 1000 30 1500 35 2000 40 3000 65 4000 60 6000 50 8000 65

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •