Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BEST BTE HEARING AID?i

1. Default BEST BTE HEARING AID?i

Hi all!

I have a severe hearing loss and I had visited an audiologist who reccomeneded an RIC with miles. Unfortunately I was cheap, she was bad, and I decided to go to audicus. They were excellent! Unfortunately because of the severity of my loss, I'm plagued by whistleing (English majors, did I spell that right) every time I speak at any volume louder than a whisper. Also I'd like a larger aid, which sounds strange because most people want the opposite, but I find the audicus ones so tiny they're almost hard to operate (and I'm 21!). Also, because I'm 21, most people think that my hearing loss is selective rather than a real loss, which is a PAIN, because they won't repeat what they said, so I'm still in the dark.

Phonak Naida: I like these because they're still the size 13 battery. In addition to that they're phonak, so you have a lot of accessories you can get along with them.

Resound enzo: I love the direct to iPhone feature of these.

Oticon dynamo: my cousin wears these and swears by them. I don't like the Bluetooth neck loop though.

I'll insert my numbers for better recommendation

250. 500. 1000. 2000. 4000. 6000. 8000
    R. 60 60 85. 90. 80 70 65
    L. 60 60 85. 90. 80 70 65

Blog Entries

I'm confused by the BTE being small. They are always the largest because they have the speaker in the unit which then sends sound through a hollow plastic tube to the ear. And they normally use size 13 batteries.

Feedback isn't a shock. You need to be fitted for molds to stop that.
    Hidden Content
    KS6's w. Phone Clip +
    There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. -- William Shakespeare

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by KenP View Post
    I'm confused by the BTE being small. They are always the largest because they have the speaker in the unit which then sends sound through a hollow plastic tube to the ear. And they normally use size 13 batteries.

Hi Ken, thanks for your reply! I currently have a pair of RIC aids with a size 312 battery, hence why they're smaller than a size 13 BTE, or better yet, a size 675 Enzo. I agree with the molds. Like I say I was cheap, and didn't want to pay the 7000$ the audiologist wanted.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Ken, thanks for your reply! I currently have a pair of RIC aids with a size 312 battery, hence why they're smaller than a size 13 BTE, or better yet, a size 675 Enzo. I agree with the molds. Like I say I was cheap, and didn't want to pay the 7000$ the audiologist wanted.

Blog Entries

The alternative might be Costco at under $3k. Molds there are $40/ea. Not sure if you are close to one.
    Hidden Content
    KS6's w. Phone Clip +
    There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. -- William Shakespeare

that cookie bite of yours doesn't necessarily require a Naida and sound recovery, since your mids are already taxed out with your loss.

you could still go for RICs with 105dB + powermolds , or BTE like you said.

Naida V90, Oticon OPN BTE, are new right now, not sure about widex and signa and BTE. They might have something new too, even though I think widex beyond is RIC only atm.

Resound Linx 3d just come out as a RIC, BTE might still take them couple of months.

Defenitely check out OPN BTE and forget the dynamo @oticon.
    and you also might like the Naida V, I liked both Oticon OPN and Naida V best when I had my trial. And I have a slightly less severe cookie bite than you.
    Last edited by Gery_R; 05-23-2017 at 04:25 PM.
    Left/Right//kHz // Oticon OPN1 105dB C-Shell with support

45/55//0.25
    60/70// 0.5
    70/70//1
    60/70//2
    60/60//3
    50/45//4
    55/50//6
    45/55//8

6. Default

Thank you Gery! I am also looking at the opn, I'm also keeping my eye on the 3D, and I'll likely ask around some online retailers. I do wish Phonak would jump on the made for iPhone train, but I can't have everything I want, can I?

Quote Originally Posted by Gery_R View Post
    that cookiebyte of yours don't necessarily require a Naida and sound recovery, since your mids are already taxed out with your loss.

you could still go for RICs with 105dB + powermolds , or BTE like you said.

Naida V90, Oticon OPN BTE, are new right now, not sure about widex and signa and BTE. They might have something new too, even though I think widex beyond is RIC only atm.

Resound Linx 3d just come out as a RIC, BTE might still take them couple of months.

Defenitely check out OPN BTE and forget the dynamo @oticon.

and you also might like the Naida V, I liked both Oticon OPN and Naida V best when I had my trial. And I have a slightly less severe cookie byte than you.

Quote Originally Posted by **maplesyrup** View Post
    Thank you Gery! I am also looking at the opn, I'm also keeping my eye on the 3D, and I'll likely ask around some online retailers. I do wish Phonak would jump on the made for iPhone train, but I can't have everything I want, can I?
    Just an idea ;check out a way to connect any cell phone with a Phonak aid. It's called an Easy Call. I see it on the Phonak website. This way you can use your phone of choice.
    Richard from Monterey, CA
    binaural sensorineural moderate to profound steep sloping loss

L 250 35 R 250 40
    L 500 65 R 500 65
    L 1K 80 R 1K 95
    L 2K 95 R 2K 100
    L 4K 110 R 4K 110
    L 8K NR R 8K NR

SPEECH DISCRIMINATION R/L 65dB/84%

(2) Naida 5 UP, Zoomlink +, MLxi Microlink receiver, Platronic Voyager 500A BT hub. After two years, on 11/2012 returned IComs and TVLink for new ComPilot, TVLink S, RemoteMic (returned to Audi)Hidden Content

I have custom moulds, which were made privately and still get feedback if I put my hands near them. It's normal for BTE users unfortunately due to the power of the hearing aids. The new Oticon OPN BTE PP hearing aids apparently have a feedback management that will reduce it quite significantly though according to my audiologist.

My BTE aids are actually quite small surprisingly and discreet for a BTE aid and unlike the OP, I will never go back to bigger BTE aids. And they are a size 13 as well. I am interested in the Oticon OPN PP, but dubious about the size of them. They seem bigger than my current BTE aids (which isn't surprising due to the technology), but will find out for sure once I get to see them in a couple of weeks.
    Hz...250...500...750...1K...1.5K...2K...3K...4K... 6K...8K
    L.......30......70......75.....80.....110...110..1 05...110...115...105
    R.......35.....45.......80.....80.....105...105... 110...105...115...110

Currently wear Oticon Spirit Synergy P bilaterally supplied by the NHS with thermotec custom moulds made privately by Egger. User of Oticon Streamer Pro.

No way in hell you won't have feedback with those numbers you should really be researching CI's.

A RIC is still a BTE; it just has the receiver in the canal rather than in the HA. The six types of BTE aids are: Standard open ear, Thin tube open ear, thin wire open ear(RIC), Standard occluded tube(custom mold), Thin tube occluded ear(dome), Thin wire occluded ear(RIC with dome or micro mold).
    Oticon Agil Pro w/streamer

-250 500 1000 1500 2000 3000 4000 6000 8000
    L 10--5----10----30---50----70----85---80---80
    R 5--10----20----35---45----85----85--100--100

SP Disc ------------- SRT
    L 88% @55db ------- L-10
    R 90% @55db------- R-25