Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: General questions on Bluetooth connection to iPhone

Blog Entries

Seville and Madrid
    Hidden Content
    KS6's w. Phone Clip +

Visit my blog here for post that I think valuable -- especially new members.

There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. -- William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Odyssey View Post
    My iPhone 6 is running OS 10.3.2. The Oticon Opn 2 miniRite app version is 1.1.3.

Bluetooth connectivity is a mixed bag of good and bad for this user.

For the Bluetooth connected HAs, I'm having to adjust each time I get in or out of my Bluetooth-connected minivan. Also having to keep the phone in the same room at all times or the signal drifts. If I am in a "No Cell Phone Zone," what is the best way to disable the HA-Bluetooth connection? The "Do Not Disturb" mode, "Airplane" mode or switch off Bluetooth (or the iPhone) altogether? What is your workaround?

Often I am hearing callers voices drift from one ear to the other, then back to binaural. Why? How can this be corrected?

Often I hear pops or crack sounds during phone conversation or podcast playback. What causes this and can it be corrected?

When I am receiving an incoming call, I hear a shift from the steady radio-static white noise to a flat disruption before the ringtone begins playing. It is cringeworthy jarring! Can my audiologist adjust this or is this unavoidable? Do you know that sharp "electricity's on" scratchy sound headphones make if they're on your ears and then you plug your headset into the stereo? I feel like that effect is happening when a call is coming in.

The minivan Bluetooth wants to dominate the connectivity over the HAs when I get in and out of the vehicle. Sometimes. Other times the HAs seem to get the preferential treatment.
    I may have been one of the first complainers reporting about the voices drifting as well as other issues. Initially I had an iPhone 6s which I gave to my wife. Now I have an iPhone 7. Oticon tech was not helpful in troubleshooting the problems with my audiologist. Instead the interactions seemed to be only through her marketing rep. For a very long time the party line from Oticon was they had not heard of any of my issues and instead it must be an Apple iPhone problem. One of their early suggestions was to connect the OPNs to another phone and see if the problem continued. We were only a one iPhone family then and no one was offering to lend me an iPhone for the experiment. My wife finally decided in November she wanted a smartphone. The problems persisted when I got the new phone. The firmware update in December made no difference either. It became apparent that the drifting voice during calls and streaming audio was the way it would always be.
    Late winter, early spring this year I began getting a continued static sound in the right side aid that got worse and almost steady. The audiologist office worked with Oticon support and in the end decided they would send me a new right side and I left the office. This was the first experience I had in learning that if the interface software the office use was not correctly terminated the HAs would no longer function correctly. I received a call but it only could be heard in the left side. I immediately went back to the office and another hour and a half was spent trying to resolve the issue. Finally Oticon decided to send a replacement set since apparently the problem couldn't be fixed.
    I got the new set towards the end of April and it seemed to be working much better. No drifting from side to side or static. Battery usage had dropped from 4+ days to 3 but I could live with that. Then a week ago I was at a play in Ashland. I usually turn up the volume in the OPNs with the iPhone app. Not wanting to disturb the folks next to me I tried using the buttons on the HAs. It didn't work. I finally had time to take it in to the audiologist. I assumed there would just be a setting to change and everything would be wonderful. WRONG. I made sure that the volume buttons were functioning but did not try calling or audio streaming from the iPhone to the aids. When I finally got a call late afternoon it did not stream to the OPNs. I could also not hear any other audio from the phone in the aids. Instead when I tried to stream an audio source a popup message said "Attempting to take connection from another device." I tried all the usual, restarting devices, forgetting/re-pairing the aids but nothing worked. Yesterday (Monday morning) I went back to the audiologist office. They tried a number of things but most were just what I had been doing over the weekend. The interface showed the settings were all correct but it did not show that the OPNs were attached to an iPhone. I left to wait and see what Oticon would suggest be done. Yesterday afternoon it was suggested I try connecting to another phone. Not having one readily available I connected to my iPad. The audio worked and streamed just fine. I disconnected and re-connected to my iPhone. Nothing had changed. It still didn't work. When my wife got home I paired and connected to her phone (my old phone) with not problems. Everything worked. Deciding to try resetting my iPhone I first tried just doing a Network reset. That didn't work. Next I tried a full reset but keep all my data. That didn't work and it took some time to get the phone back the way I had it set up.
    My belief is that somehow when I went to the audiologist last Friday to get the volume buttons setting changed the interface scrambled the connection and will not allow audio content to stream to the aids from my iPhone. It will pair up in the usual way and indicates it is connected. The Oticon ON app connects and shows the battery strength and allows changing the volume and program. I can adjust the volume and program from the Apple iPhone controls. Just no audio streaming. Supposedly there will be a firmware update available today that Oticon suggested may fix the problem. I hope so.
    250 500 1K 2K 3K 4K 6K 8K
    15 15 15 30 25 40 45 55
    20 25 20 15 10 40 45 75
    Oticon OPN 1 as of 6-15-2016 w/iPhone 7

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Jake View Post
    Oticon appreciate all you folks who paid to test subjects 
    Doc I can't agree with your statement. I don't think there is much if any appreciation. Sadly the days of not releasing a product before the bugs and kinks are worked out is long gone. Personally I'm okay with being on the cutting edge if the manufacturer acknowledges the issues and work with me to resolve them. Oticon has never once contacted me and when I attempted to contact them a year ago I was instead told they only work through the audiologist. So every time I have an issue there is a relay effect from person to person. I also experience this from Topcon GPS machine control. Support is only through the dealer and I never know how well the problems and issues are passed on. Again the manufacturer has never chosen to contact me directly. My question for all these scenarios is How can the manufacturer learn about the problem if it is not via direct communication. They can't. I do think they appreciate the part where they get paid.
    15 15 15 30 25 40 45 55
    20 25 20 15 10 40 45 75

Nothing new here.. Manufacturers do not work directly with civilians

After posting the description of my current problem I called AT&T (my provider) with questions about the different iPhone reset functions. Supposedly my phone is automatically backing itself up via iCloud but I did a manual backup to the computer to make sure. Next I did a complete factory reset/remove all data and content. Before I restored it back to my setup I tried connecting the iPhone to the OPNs. They were once again successfully streaming calls and audio. I restored my phone from the backup and except for a few settings it was back to full functionality with everything loaded like it was before the reset. It was still streaming.

I'm sure I will never know why it quit working after leaving the audiologist last Friday. My belief is that somehow the interface used in their office made a connection or set some internal switches. How or why resetting the iPhone fixed the problem I don't know but it did.
    15 15 15 30 25 40 45 55
    20 25 20 15 10 40 45 75

Quote Originally Posted by gpsgrandpa View Post
    After posting the description of my current problem I called AT&T (my provider) with questions about the different iPhone reset functions. Supposedly my phone is automatically backing itself up via iCloud but I did a manual backup to the computer to make sure. Next I did a complete factory reset/remove all data and content. Before I restored it back to my setup I tried connecting the iPhone to the OPNs. They were once again successfully streaming calls and audio. I restored my phone from the backup and except for a few settings it was back to full functionality with everything loaded like it was before the reset. It was still streaming.

I'm sure I will never know why it quit working after leaving the audiologist last Friday. My belief is that somehow the interface used in their office made a connection or set some internal switches. How or why resetting the iPhone fixed the problem I don't know but it did.
    Thanks for sharing this with us, gpsgrandpa. I'll remember that resetting the iPhone to factory default is a viable option to fix the streaming problem now. But of course it'd be a last resort.

I just don't see how any activity done to the OPNs at your audi office could have screwed up the iPhone settings. I'm guessing that it's just a coincidence that something went wrong with the iPhone after you left your audi's office, bad enough to prevent streaming and force you to do a factory reset.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

KHz 0.25...0.5...0.75...1.0...1.5...2.0...3.0...4.0... 6.0...8.0

Left ...10...10....10.....30.....70....75....80....95.. ..90....80
    Right .25...30....40.....55.....75....85....90....90...1 00...100

Quote Originally Posted by Volusiano View Post
    Thanks for sharing this with us, gpsgrandpa. I'll remember that resetting the iPhone to factory default is a viable option to fix the streaming problem now. But of course it'd be a last resort.

I just don't see how any activity done to the OPNs at your audi office could have screwed up the iPhone settings. I'm guessing that it's just a coincidence that something went wrong with the iPhone after you left your audi's office, bad enough to prevent streaming and force you to do a factory reset.
    I have a couple of reasons to consider the cause was the audiologist office interface connection. Neither myself or my iPhone were in close proximity when the office connection was made. They went to the back and came back out, battery door closed and already turned on. I think by not disconnecting/un-pairing from my phone when handing them over to be worked on was a mistake I will not make again. The office interface is via bluetooth also so some kind of pairing took place. I feel the OPNs were not totally disconnected/un-paired from their computer. I have since read that while the OPN is capable of pairing to up to 10 devices it can only stream to one iPhone. Then when I actually tried to stream audio it keep popping up on my phone that my iPhone was "Attempting to take connection from another device." At this point since I have no way to experiment and discover if the problem is repeatable I am just happy they work again. I'm posting this mainly to describe the experience and solution should it happen to someone else.

For myself the experience with the Factory Reset worked way better than the last time I used the Restore function in iTunes. The previous time (years ago now) it required me to re-download apps and it seemed almost like starting over fresh. This time it almost restored a 100% clone.

My wife keeps telling me I'm expecting to much from the iPhone/hearing aid technology connection. Nope. It was not marketed as a work-in-progress but instead as a fantastic paradigm shift and MFI. Okay, I don't exactly believe the marketing either. The truth is that the hearing aids work in many daily situations. When I can't hear something I know how to use the volume control. If there is still to much interference to hear well I assume most other folks can't hear it either. I hardly every have issues while driving. Both my SUV and pickup take priority connections. The ability to talk on the phone without holding it to my ear is absolutely wonderful. When I'm working in the field I wear a surveyors safety vest. I just place the phone in an upper pocket with the microphone aimed up and keeps talking. Unless there is a lot of loud noise (like backup alarms) close by I can hear just fine and the callers say they can too. The couple idiosyncrasies are more annoyance than problem. When Oticon comes up with a wireless lapel mike it will be near perfect.
    15 15 15 30 25 40 45 55
    20 25 20 15 10 40 45 75

You should listen to your wife..

So I've settled on Oticon OPn1s

The firmware has been updated, overall sound quality is much better than the 2s. Bluetooth issues such as drift L-R during a phone call not as bad yet still occurs. Am having to manually reconnect aids to iPhone less often, the Toyota BT connection is more stable. The Connect microphone might be a cool product when it is eventually rolled out.

From what I have read on these forums, none of the aids are perfect all the time. In my case, there's bound to be a generous margin of operator error. These OPn 1s seem to work best for me. I can now once again distinguish violins from violas, pick out just one singer's voice in a chorus and best of all I can hear my favorite people easily and without asking them to repeat themselves. If I turn on the tv, the volume is just fine at 12. Batteries (312 size) last me about 4 days, with around an hour or 2 streaming and being on 18 hours/ day.

I've trained myself to use the Do Not Disturb feature on the iPhone when I visit a client or professional, go to the movies, meetings, etc. That way, any of my earlier BT settings are not compromised. The connectivity in the vehicle is unaffected, and truthfully, I don't really need to be using the iPhone for voice calls when driving. The streets are too full of drivers multitask driving as it is. There's no compelling reason for me to purposefully add to bad traffic statistics.

Thanks for all your replies, you have all helped me.
    250...500....1k....2k....3k....4K....6k....8k
    -20----25----30---30---45---35---40---45 right
    -20----25----30---35---45---40---45---45 left

WRS 100 / 96

with constant non-pulsatile tinnitus

Quote Originally Posted by Odyssey View Post
    So I've settled on Oticon OPn1s

The firmware has been updated, overall sound quality is much better than the 2s.
    It's rare to hear from posters on this forum who had a chance to try multiple versions of the OPN (like 1 vs 2 or vs 3) and reporting back which one they decided on. I think you're only the second or third person who said they tried both the OPN1 and OPN2 and decided on the 1. I never heard from anyone who say they tried both and couldn't tell a difference so they settle for the 2 (or 3). I just went for the 1 because the 2 and 3 weren't even available at the time.

So if you can indulge my curiosity, can you elaborate on how the 1 is better than the 2? I know you said sound quality. Is it just overall sound quality? Or is it mainly speech that is clearer? How about speech clarity in a noise environment like a restaurant? Or is it the music (you mentioned that you have better music clarity to differentiate between violin and viola)? I'm just looking to know strictly what the differences are which you can perceive between the 2 and the 1?
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

KHz 0.25...0.5...0.75...1.0...1.5...2.0...3.0...4.0... 6.0...8.0

Left ...10...10....10.....30.....70....75....80....95.. ..90....80
    Right .25...30....40.....55.....75....85....90....90...1 00...100