Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: General questions on Bluetooth connection to iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by Volusiano View Post
    It's rare to hear from posters on this forum who had a chance to try multiple versions of the OPN (like 1 vs 2 or vs 3) and reporting back which one they decided on. I think you're only the second or third person who said they tried both the OPN1 and OPN2 and decided on the 1. I never heard from anyone who say they tried both and couldn't tell a difference so they settle for the 2 (or 3). I just went for the 1 because the 2 and 3 weren't even available at the time.

So if you can indulge my curiosity, can you elaborate on how the 1 is better than the 2? I know you said sound quality. Is it just overall sound quality? Or is it mainly speech that is clearer? How about speech clarity in a noise environment like a restaurant? Or is it the music (you mentioned that you have better music clarity to differentiate between violin and viola)? I'm just looking to know strictly what the differences are which you can perceive between the 2 and the 1?

Bluetooth connection seems to hold better. Less drifting (though this still occurs, now less often and for shorter duration) With OPn 2, I had to make an adjustment entering/exiting vehicle every other time as signal would evaporate. OPn 1 does not have that issue. I was told whatever latest firmware update had been addressed with OPn 1.

Overall sound quality was was excellent with both 1&2, but feels cleaner with 1. Truer, little to no occlusion or tinny robotic sound of my own voice. Much much easier to hear and understand certain people I had always struggled to hear. Background noise is not masked or layered in any way yet it does not bother me with 1s. The 2s did ok, the 1s do great.

For me the best difference is being able to distinguish a particular voice in a chorus. Tonight I was at a table (my back to a wall) with 8 other people all talking. I could follow bits of every conversation and for once never felt I was missing anything. Its been more than a dozen years since I have felt that. When I listen to a choir, I can close my eyes and know exactly who is singing certain notes or particular words. With the 2 I was close, with the 1 I'm spot on. When I listen to a particular piece of music, I can now hear all the bits I strained to hear before.

Speech in certain environments such as street concerts is better but let's face it, sadly impossible. Some restaurants are too difficult for people without hearing loss, an aid will not help when the ambient decibel level is already 80+. With the 1, I do better than okay in a 70-75dB. But I won't stay there for appetizers and desserts!

The quality difference is akin to a DVD vs a BluRay. I like these 1s more.
    250...500....1k....2k....3k....4K....6k....8k
    -20----25----30---30---45---35---40---45 right
    -20----25----30---35---45---40---45---45 left

WRS 100 / 96

with constant non-pulsatile tinnitus

^^^ Thank you for the elaboration between the 1 vs 2 differences. It seems like Oticon know how to cripple the 2 (and maybe the 3) just enough to create a difference, but still attain a best/better/good scenario between the 1/2/3.

On the Bluetooth connection issue, I would think that the latest Firmware 4 should fix it the same for either the 1, 2 or 3, because that pertains to functionality and not quality difference. I wonder if you notice the BT differences between the 2 and 1 because maybe you tried the 2 first before the 1 and the 2 was on the older firmware?

Yeah, I was at a restaurant last night in a smaller room with my back against the wall and 6 people at my table, and there were 4 other tables to the left and in front of me. Very loud and noisy because the room is small and tables were packed with people and of course everybody talked at the same time. And of course you hear everything with the OPN, no background noise blocked out like you said. I was able to understand what people said at my table just fine although I had to up the volume up a couple of notches so I could focus on the voices better. Heck, if I wanted to overhear the other tables, I could probably even do so by just shifting my focus on them.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

KHz 0.25...0.5...0.75...1.0...1.5...2.0...3.0...4.0... 6.0...8.0

Left ...10...10....10.....30.....70....75....80....95.. ..90....80
    Right .25...30....40.....55.....75....85....90....90...1 00...100

Volusiano,

My audiologist says all manufacturers, not just Oticon, strips out features and functionality in the "lesser" models of their aids. They use engineering/marketing tools just like automakers and toothpaste makers do in different trim/option levels at various price points.

Consumer choice strategy just makes it all the more difficult to find exactly what one wants and is willing to pay. As if adjusting to hearing aids for an individual isn't hard enough...

Oticon offers me the truest sound experience over the others I have tried. At the end of the day, that's what matters most to me. When they say "You don't hear with your ears, you hear with your brain," I get it. These little expensive doodads riding on my ears don't play tricks on my brain with masking, additional sounds or directional microphone tricks and voodoo smoke and mirrors like the Widex and Signia did. Bonus points to Oticon for not adding to that Daily Living stress LOL. I don't require the IoT functions at this time but I like knowing it's available. The way incoming sounds stream from the phone needs more tweaking (Get busy, Apple!) Battery life is not as efficient as some other models, I change the batteries in the OPn 1s every 4-4.5 days vs every 5-6 days with the OPn 2s. That may bother some people, I just make sure I carry spares. Monitoring battery life via iPhone triple click is becoming a twice daily habit. The iPhone has to be charged at least once a day anyway. Camping and other remote off-shore activities just require a bit more planning.

WRS 100 / 96

Wow, I didn't realize that the OPN 2 has slightly better battery life than the OPN 1, although it makes sense. If they cripple down the processing, battery life should improve. I get around 5 days of battery life for my OPN 1 using the Costco 312s. I stream a few hours at night and I wear them between 16-18 hours a day.

Did the audi mention to you that they will offer the rechargeable option that can be retrofitted to the OPNs current on disposable batteries? I think they basically OEM the Z Power rechargeable system for that offering. And even if you switch over to the Z Power system, you can still use disposable batteries if you're on travel and don't bring the charging station with you. The economic is still on the side of the disposable batteries when I calculated it out. So as long as you don't mind swapping batteries every 4 or 5 days then the disposable option is still cheaper. With the Z power option you just flop the HA into the charging station at night and that's it, so some people like this better than messing around with swapping batteries.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

I'm not interested in any rechargeable hearing aid batteries. If I am out at a show, out boating, out camping, out of the country, or generally out of it, recharging is usually not possible. The chimes of death always happen at most inopportune moments, don't they? I've developed the habit to carry spare batteries and stash extras in my luggage, vehicle, backpack, dry bag, etc. Besides, this forum is sponsored by localbattery, and they depend on battery buyers!

Ever since adjusting to the hearing aids, I've been more engaged in life and enjoying the activities I used to love to do. Had become a sullen hermit for a while there being unable to hear clearly. Recharging might be a greener thing to do for some folks, but lately I'm too busy.

WRS 100 / 96

Quote Originally Posted by Odyssey View Post
    I'm not interested in any rechargeable hearing aid batteries. If I am out at a show, out boating, out camping, out of the country, or generally out of it, recharging is usually not possible. The chimes of death always happen at most inopportune moments, don't they? I've developed the habit to carry spare batteries and stash extras in my luggage, vehicle, backpack, dry bag, etc. Besides, this forum is sponsored by localbattery, and they depend on battery buyers!

Ever since adjusting to the hearing aids, I've been more engaged in life and enjoying the activities I used to love to do. Had become a sullen hermit for a while there being unable to hear clearly. Recharging might be a greener thing to do for some folks, but lately I'm too busy.
    The only compelling argument I've heard from one of our posters in this forum about why he would want a rechargeable battery is so that he'd never be interrupted by the chimes of death at any time anymore. The assumption here is that if the rechargeable battery is topped off in the morning, it should last you all day long until you retire at night. Then you'd just flop it in the charging station and have a freshly recharged battery in the morning. So at no time during the day should it run out of juice on you. Of course if you travel then you'd need to either take the charging station along, or contend with switching back to disposable batteries.

7. Default

Hi,
    I just just bought Signia Pure 13 BT hearing aids. Just got them yesterday in fact. I was happily streaming my music and loving it. Then I hooked up my TV streamer which unfortunately I had to watch a YouTube to know what to link the streamer to to my hearing aids. I have a app that unbeknownst to be had an icon I had to select for TV streaming. I did that and all was good. Turned off TV, I actually wasn't sure how to get back to music streaming. Thinking about it and my phone rang. Answered and I was only hearing out of my left hearing aid :-( Now my hearing aids won't pair to my phone. When I stream music it only comes through my left hearing aid. Any ideas? I'm hoping not to have to reset my iPhone, as I'm not as techie as you were about backing my data up etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Sequoia Woman View Post
    Hi,
    I just just bought Signia Pure 13 BT hearing aids. Just got them yesterday in fact. I was happily streaming my music and loving it. Then I hooked up my TV streamer which unfortunately I had to watch a YouTube to know what to link the streamer to to my hearing aids. I have a app that unbeknownst to be had an icon I had to select for TV streaming. I did that and all was good. Turned off TV, I actually wasn't sure how to get back to music streaming. Thinking about it and my phone rang. Answered and I was only hearing out of my left hearing aid :-( Now my hearing aids won't pair to my phone. When I stream music it only comes through my left hearing aid. Any ideas? I'm hoping not to have to reset my iPhone, as I'm not as techie as you were about backing my data up etc.
    Try to turn Bluetooth off then back on again. If this doesn't help, the next step is to click on "Forget this Device" in the Hearing Devices section, open/close your HA's battery doors to reset the HAs then select the 2 prompts for Pairing to the HAs again, and that should fix it. If still not fixed, then the last resort is to reboot the iPhone.

I don't have the Signia Pure so I don't know what the protocol is for it. But for the OPN that I have, from any program, streaming or default or other programs, playing music on the iPhone automatically enables the direct streaming from the iphone to the HAs, no switching is necessary.

9. Default

Thank you Volusiano for your quick reply. I muddle through and got this to work. You have the steps and that is what I did ... in a round about way. :-) Tried this and that. Then finally started writing down order in what I did. What I think I found out was that if I am watching TV and using the StreamLine TV interface, it appears I have to shut my iPhone off from the TV first, before turning TV off. When I didn't, I couldn't stream my music. I'm thinking this is what us happening as the message "Trying to take connec ion from another device". Like it doesn't disconnect from TV. Does that sound plausible?
    Since I've got your ear. - pun intended - if I don't forget the device on the tv interface device is it still working. Just wondering if I'm away from wifi- would it use my data? I didn't ask it very clearly - sorry. I guess the bottom line is a thing in the Bluetooth hearing aids increasing my data usage? Thanks again.

Oh my......