Thread: America Hears under new management? What's a good replacement?

Default America Hears under new management? What's a good replacement?

Hey, what's the dealio with America Hears? They're charging $250/aid for repairs now. Used to be around $150 back in 2015.

I was Googling their address so I can mail my aids to them and came across Google reviews where it was suggested they are now under a new management and that their repair services have become poor. On top of that, they will charge you full $250 just to replace a wind guard?

Anyone got any experience with America Hears within the last 2 years? My aids are pretty old so I'm not sure it's worth spending $500 on repairs when I can use that money towards newer hearing aids. Especially if AH's services are as shoddy as reviews say.

I'm shopping around new hearing aids (budget around 2500-3000 a pair) and I'd love to go to Costco but there isn't one where I live so I was thinking of going along the route of eBay and self-programming (chinese mini USB) or buyhear.com. Are there any other alternatives that wouldn't be as overpriced? What are some decent models to check out these days for someone in moderately severe range?

Thanks

In that price range, if I were considering Buyhear, I'd probably be looking at Phonaks: Audeo B90 or B70 or depending on how severe a loss, maybe the Nadia V90 or V70. If you send your audiogram to Buyhear and ask for a recommendation, they'll work with you and you get a 60 day return period.

Quote Originally Posted by anal0g View Post
    Hey, what's the dealio with America Hears? They're charging $250/aid for repairs now. Used to be around $150 back in 2015.

I was Googling their address so I can mail my aids to them and came across Google reviews where it was suggested they are now under a new management and that their repair services have become poor. On top of that, they will charge you full $250 just to replace a wind guard?

Anyone got any experience with America Hears within the last 2 years? My aids are pretty old so I'm not sure it's worth spending $500 on repairs when I can use that money towards newer hearing aids. Especially if AH's services are as shoddy as reviews say.

I'm shopping around new hearing aids (budget around 2500-3000 a pair) and I'd love to go to Costco but there isn't one where I live so I was thinking of going along the route of eBay and self-programming (chinese mini USB) or buyhear.com. Are there any other alternatives that wouldn't be as overpriced? What are some decent models to check out these days for someone in moderately severe range?

Thanks
    .25 .5 1 1.5 2 3.0 4.0 6.0 8.0

15 15 20 30 30 55 75 90 NR ​KS7
    10 10 20 15 25 35 65 85 95 WRS 100/92@45/40

3. Default

If you're dumping AH then if you might possibly have the self-programming gear (particularly the box) then I might be interested in taking that off your hands. I'm not looking to spend much though
    KHz .25 .5 .75 1 1.5 2 3 4 6 8 SRT SD/WRS
    Left 25 30 35 35 35 25 55 50 60 65 30 100%@70
    Right 40 50 50 45 40 30 40 40 45 50 35 100%@60

4. Default

I don't have experience with America Hears. I do have experience with Blamey & Saunders (Australia) who sell the same range. I was told that the SIE-32 model are becoming more expensive to service because of their age. I suppose they like to encourage customers onto more recent aids (for obvious reasons). What they did do for me though was allow me to trade in my aids on a pair of refurbished SIE-32s for $400.00AUD. I'm hoping that they see me through to my next aids. I had trialed the SIE-64 model. Although they sounded great, I still had to ask people to repeat themselves in any listening environment that was remotely challenging. I decided that I wasn't going to spend $4000+ AUD for marginal practical improvement. The latest and greatest in their range is close to $5000. That's getting into premium territory. It may be a great aid for all I know, but when they have a service model with no face-to-face contact with an audiologist (ie they can't blame all that expensive expertise for their high prices) I think they are not the value they were. Having said that, there's nothing to fault in my interactions with them. They extended my evaluation period and took the aids back.

Blog Entries

Lloyd's Hearing Aids do repairs for less. It is an option you can check out.
    Hidden Content
    KS6's w. Phone Clip +

Visit my blog here for post that I think valuable -- especially new members.

There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. -- William Shakespeare