-- R -- 20 -- 30 -- 30 - 40 - 45 - 50 - 55 - 55 - 60
    -- L -- 20 -- 30 -- 55 - 60 - 55 - 50 - 55 - 70 - 60

SRT R 35 L 45
    WR R 75/88% L 75/76%

Siemens Pure 5bx with EasyTek
    Wearing hearing aids since Sept. 2015

2. Default

May be a while:

"That, at least, represents the future envisioned by supporters of the Over-the-Counter Hearing Aid Act of 2017, which would give the Food and Drug Administration three years to create a regulatory category for such devices and to establish standards for safety, effectiveness and labeling."
    LouYo
    L: . 30 .. 25 ... 30 ... 50 ... 55 ... 60 ... 70
    F: 250 .500 1000 2000 3000 4000 8000
    R: . 40 .. 40 ... 35 ... 60 ... 60 ... 65 ... 65

My audiologist is frowning.
    Siemens Signia Pure 13 BT primax
    KHz 0.25...0.5...1.0...2.0...3.0...4.0...6.0...8.0

Left ...75...65....35....40....45....45....65....70
    Right .90...65....40....40....70....70....95....75

4. Default

I don't know why 'over-the-counter' (or over-the-internet) aids aren't really a thing yet. The United States is a big market but it's not the only market. Are there similar barriers in other places (eg EU?). I'm genuinely curious about this.

They are basically out there now.. This will allow them to be advertised as hearing aids.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Jake View Post
    They are basically out there now.. This will allow them to be advertised as hearing aids.
    What are they advertised as now? And are they the top brands/current models?

Seems to me that getting your hands on self programming equipment is a bit of a challenge currently. Sounds like if this law passes, we will be configuring our own aids.

Blog Entries

Jakey is a prone to hyperbole. Most of what is available are limited function for those with mild-moderate. Some look pretty clunky with weird/oversized speakers. One or two have better features but its all a very mixed bag.

Understand that most of Jakey's comments come out of the Jake -- I think its a one holer.
    Hidden Content
    KS6's w. Phone Clip +
    There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. -- William Shakespeare

Kenny I can tell you're off the wagon again..

BTW, if anyone believes the $300 per ear price let me know where you got what you are smoking!!
    Last edited by Doc Jake; 06-18-2017 at 05:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by d'Wooluf View Post
    I don't know why 'over-the-counter' (or over-the-internet) aids aren't really a thing yet. The United States is a big market but it's not the only market. Are there similar barriers in other places (eg EU?). I'm genuinely curious about this.
    Yes, in lots of European countries the role of the Audiologist is recognised in dealing with the multiple issues that run alongside 'a bit of hearing loss'. I'm not against self-diagnosis as an entrance to the market especially for those groups who struggle to see a professional for whatever reason. Unfortunately given human nature the risk of more serious stuff going undiagnosed/over-prescribed is a potential outcome. However, if you are able to make a good job of it on your own, carry on.
    'He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life.'
    Link to my entry in the Hidden Content section.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content - Maintenance Stuff
    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Um bongo View Post
    Yes, in lots of European countries the role of the Audiologist is recognised in dealing with the multiple issues that run alongside 'a bit of hearing loss'. I'm not against self-diagnosis as an entrance to the market especially for those groups who struggle to see a professional for whatever reason. Unfortunately given human nature the risk of more serious stuff going undiagnosed/over-prescribed is a potential outcome. However, if you are able to make a good job of it on your own, carry on.
    I think that self-diagnosis in anything health-related is pretty stupid. But once the diagnosis is done and the hearing loss is found to be relatively straightforward and the choice is then between self-fitting, no hearing aids at all and mortgaging the dog...