Thread: Ill-fitting hearing aids

Default Ill-fitting hearing aids

I have a pair of Costco Phonak behind the ear hearing aids. These aids have a typical shaped wire down into the receiver and each ear fits differently, the right ear seeming to always work its way out to where it loses fidelity. To really hear them well I would have to keep stuffing them deeper in . I have tried many designs of domes, some promising to stay put- have even tried ear molds that do stay in place but I feel are too shallow to provide good sound. S0- to my question- if I experience much better fidelity the deeper the receiver is in my ears, would an in-canal aid be a better choice for me than my current behind the ear model that seems too sprung to stay put? Does anyone make a relaxed, not-molded receiver wire that can be placed well into the canal? Is deeper, in canal better for fidelity? Any thoughts will be appreciated. (Sorry, no specs to sign off with...)

2. Default

Custom molds is typically the answer. You say they were too shallow? Was the receiver sticking out of your ear? The custom molds should go just as deep as your domes did. If not, they were probably made wrong.
    The Babbling Blue Crab

Freq - 250 - 500 - 750 - 1k - 2k - 3k - 4k - 6k - 8k
    -- R -- 20 -- 30 -- 30 - 40 - 45 - 50 - 55 - 55 - 60
    -- L -- 20 -- 30 -- 55 - 60 - 55 - 50 - 55 - 70 - 60

SRT R 35 L 45
    WR R 75/88% L 75/76%

Siemens Pure 5bx with EasyTek
    Wearing hearing aids since Sept. 2015

Relatively new to hearing aids but I'm having the same issue that jasone is having. I have Oticon OPNs and currently have Oticon's 8mm "Double Bass" dual vent domes. Both receivers keep working their way out so that I have to push them back in frequently. I've tried 10mm domes but those make me feel quite occluded ... by wiggling them around, I can get them to feel opened up but then they quickly work themselves back into that stopped-up feeling. I've tried a number of different domes and tried modifying some as suggested by the guys at BuyHear.com but the 10mm just end up feeling occluded. So, a 9mm dome seems like it might be a good choice but, apparently, they don't make 9mm. Do custom molds end up making one feel occluded? That feeling is a big problem I have with the whole idea of sticking things in my ears.
    --
    TXMTN

- - 250 500 750 1000 1500 2000 3000 4000 6000 8000
    L - 25 - 35 - 50 - 65 -- 65 -- 65 -- 55 -- 40 -- 40 -- 40
    R - 35 - 35 - 45 - 55 -- 55 -- 55 -- 45 -- 40 -- 25 -- 35

The receiver wires are available in different lengths. There are retention clips, or whatever name they go by that help the domes stay in place. It might be worth trying a longer wire and a smaller dome to see if that suits you better. You will find people who swear by custom molds and others who are glad they don't have to use molds anymore, although the mold lovers are usually more adamant.This is definitely a trial and error kind of thing. It's easier for some than for others.

Quote Originally Posted by jasone View Post
    I have a pair of Costco Phonak behind the ear hearing aids. These aids have a typical shaped wire down into the receiver and each ear fits differently, the right ear seeming to always work its way out to where it loses fidelity. To really hear them well I would have to keep stuffing them deeper in . I have tried many designs of domes, some promising to stay put- have even tried ear molds that do stay in place but I feel are too shallow to provide good sound. S0- to my question- if I experience much better fidelity the deeper the receiver is in my ears, would an in-canal aid be a better choice for me than my current behind the ear model that seems too sprung to stay put? Does anyone make a relaxed, not-molded receiver wire that can be placed well into the canal? Is deeper, in canal better for fidelity? Any thoughts will be appreciated. (Sorry, no specs to sign off with...)
    .25 .5 1 1.5 2 3.0 4.0 6.0 8.0

15 15 20 30 30 55 75 90 NR ​KS7
    10 10 20 15 25 35 65 85 95 WRS 100/92@45/40

Quote Originally Posted by jasone View Post
    I feel are too shallow to provide good sound.
    Turn up the volume.

BTW ... the receiver retaining "clips" (the little pieces of plastic that are supposed to keep the receivers in place) typically pop out of place and end up sticking perpendicularly out from my ears after a couple of minutes. Any advice would be helpful.

Blog Entries

Super Glue?
    Hidden Content
    KS6's w. Phone Clip +

Visit my blog here for post that I think valuable -- especially new members.

There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. -- William Shakespeare

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by txmtn View Post
    Relatively new to hearing aids but I'm having the same issue that jasone is having. I have Oticon OPNs and currently have Oticon's 8mm "Double Bass" dual vent domes. Both receivers keep working their way out so that I have to push them back in frequently. I've tried 10mm domes but those make me feel quite occluded ... by wiggling them around, I can get them to feel opened up but then they quickly work themselves back into that stopped-up feeling. I've tried a number of different domes and tried modifying some as suggested by the guys at BuyHear.com but the 10mm just end up feeling occluded. So, a 9mm dome seems like it might be a good choice but, apparently, they don't make 9mm. Do custom molds end up making one feel occluded? That feeling is a big problem I have with the whole idea of sticking things in my ears.
    My molds don't give me any occluded feeling at all. I broke one of them and currently have a mold in my right ear and a dome in the left. I find the mold to be far more comfortable. The key to occlusion is in the vent, and your numbers look like you should be able to be vented pretty well. When you get into the higher amplification, you need smaller vents due to feedback.

There is a lengthy discussion on the topic here. I think you should give molds a try.
    The Babbling Blue Crab

Freq - 250 - 500 - 750 - 1k - 2k - 3k - 4k - 6k - 8k
    -- R -- 20 -- 30 -- 30 - 40 - 45 - 50 - 55 - 55 - 60
    -- L -- 20 -- 30 -- 55 - 60 - 55 - 50 - 55 - 70 - 60

SRT R 35 L 45
    WR R 75/88% L 75/76%

Siemens Pure 5bx with EasyTek
    Wearing hearing aids since Sept. 2015

Save yourself the grief and get properly vented custom molds.