Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Waterproof Hearing Aid Options

There's no problem getting OPN1's (or something like Pure 13BT's) wet; I would just keep wearing them. For what you describe - sitting on the beach, boating, hanging out in the water - there's no problem at all. Things NOT to do with IP67 HA's include taking showers (jets of water no good), staying underwater for significant time, diving (more than 3 feet), continuous swimming, etc. (I can't see why you'd want HA's in your ears in those circumstances, anyway). Getting the aids wet in "casual" circumstances is just fine.
    Marc

Hz 250 - 500 - 750 - 1k - 1.5k -- 2k -- 3k -- 4k -- 6k -- 8k
    R: 20 -- 25 -- 35 -- 35 -- 45 --- 50 -- 55 -- 60 -- 55 -- 70
    L: 15 -- 25 -- 35 -- 40 -- 45 --- 60 -- 50 -- 60 -- 55 -- 65
    [Opn]

Ah, how I *wish* there was a waterproof aid! I'd also looked at the Siemens Aquaris last year. Having as profound a hearing loss as I do, I have simply GIVEN UP on water sports like white water rafting, kayaking (single or with hubs) or wind surfing - all of which I used to do before I started wearing aids. I swim in the pool regularly, but always inform the lifeguard on duty that I am deaf as a STICK, so if they need to get my attention, use one on my HEAD so I know to get my head out of water. I also snorkel with NO aids in, but how fun is that when you want to share the beauty of the sea with someone else? Yeah, conversation is pretty one-sided. I'd gladly give up a phone streaming app for a waterproof aid - but alas, with Oticon Opn and Android phone neither is an option. And that's as good as it gets in 2017 with my current aids situation. I bet we'll be able to beam folks from planet to planet as they did on Star Trek WAY before hearing aids actually correct hearing loss or work in the *real* world for most people.
    HAs from 1985>Starkey>Phonak>AGX>Oticon Agil Pro ITE>Oticon Opn miniRITE

KHz 0.25...0.5...1.0...2.0...3.0...4.0....6.0...8.0

Left ..65....80....80....65.....65....60....65....90
    Right 65....80....80....75.....75....70....65....90

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by 1Bluejay View Post
    Ah, how I *wish* there was a waterproof aid! I'd also looked at the Siemens Aquaris last year. Having as profound a hearing loss as I do, I have simply GIVEN UP on water sports like white water rafting, kayaking (single or with hubs) or wind surfing - all of which I used to do before I started wearing aids. I swim in the pool regularly, but always inform the lifeguard on duty that I am deaf as a STICK, so if they need to get my attention, use one on my HEAD so I know to get my head out of water. I also snorkel with NO aids in, but how fun is that when you want to share the beauty of the sea with someone else? Yeah, conversation is pretty one-sided. I'd gladly give up a phone streaming app for a waterproof aid - but alas, with Oticon Opn and Android phone neither is an option. And that's as good as it gets in 2017 with my current aids situation. I bet we'll be able to beam folks from planet to planet as they did on Star Trek WAY before hearing aids actually correct hearing loss or work in the *real* world for most people.
    Hi Bluejay,

I'm in your situation. But you don't need to give up on everything.

Get a waterproof bag to hang around your neck for some of the sports you mention. Cinch it high enough so it won't undone over your neck. When you come in from snorkeling or rafting or are taking a break in these activities, go ahead and pop the hearing aids in. The aids should handle the residual water fine and you can always put a cover over them to help.

I put the specs for a Japanese made hearing aid that's supposed to be waterproof on this thread. I just need someone technical to a look and see what he/she thinks of the engineering approach.
    Freq 250 500 1000 1500 2000 3000 4000 6000 8000
    Right 50 60 80 90 90 120 120 115 110
    Left 50 70 75 80 85 NR NR NR NR

Resound Enzo2 988s since April 2017

Finally, someone who understands why a true waterproof aid is a wonderful thing. Too many couch potatoes on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Bluejay View Post
    L:75....75....70.....75.....65......60
    R: no hearing

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by JeffBowser View Post
    Finally, someone who understands why a true waterproof aid is a wonderful thing. Too many couch potatoes on this forum.
    What's frustrating is the 3 cochlear implant (CI) companies (Cochlear, Advanced Bionics, and Med-el) have managed to waterproof the external components of their CIs. CI wearers can swim in chlorine pools, lakes, and oceans; snorkel, kayak, surf, go tubing, dive in the deep end, etc. The Med-el Facebook page shows a guy swimming in a triathlon while wearing his CI! Now this is waterproofing - not like some hearing aid manufacturers/distributors who claim their hearing aid is "waterproof" when in fact it's "water resistant" and has limitations. Below are 2 pictures as to what Cochlear and Med-el did; that is, they basically created plastic sleeves to cover the CI.

So ... I'm going to use this as a starting point and try to create something similar for my daughter's BTE. I realize there are differences between a CI and a BTE, but I have few ideas in mind and will let you know how my experiment works out!

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/gox4zlJg5YI/maxresdefault.jpg
    http://duxzn84gr6b9u.cloudfront.net/...CZ446156_3.gif

^^^^ That IS interesting! The ziplock baggie that actually WORKS on a CI. I wonder if I could jerry-rig something similar for my Oticon OPNs? I wear them half the time; the other half of the time I'm still wearing my old Oticon Agil Pro ITE aids.

airnbau: thanks for that link to the Japanese aids. GEEZ, I was in Japan for a couple weeks in May and I sure would've checked this out had I had a glimmer of an idea where to go, who to see and how to translate my needs into Japanese!

This waterproofing should not be rocket science. For years I did use a "waterproof" container: shaped like a cylinder, hung around my neck, my aids inside a ziplock baggie inside that container - which also had rubber gaskets on the seal. But one fine day, when I opened the container, the ziplock had moisture on it. So - at $6K for an investment, I just thought I better leave the aids behind. When snorkeling in HI it's not a good idea to leave aids in a burning hot car tho! Also, there is a fair amount of car break-ins for haolies in places. That also gave me pause leaving my aids in the car. And to leave them on the beach in a backpack? I may as well leave a thick stack of $100's!
    HAs from 1985>Starkey>Phonak>AGX>Oticon Agil Pro ITE>Oticon Opn miniRITE

KHz 0.25...0.5...1.0...2.0...3.0...4.0....6.0...8.0

Left ..65....80....80....65.....65....60....65....90
    Right 65....80....80....75.....75....70....65....90

Just wondering that even if you can get the HA's waterproof how are the zinc/air batteries going to work without the air part?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JustEd View Post
    Just wondering that even if you can get the HA's waterproof how are the zinc/air batteries going to work without the air part?
    Uses an air permeable membrane.
    Hidden Content
    KS6's w. Phone Clip +

Visit my blog here for post that I think valuable -- especially new members.

There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. -- William Shakespeare

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by JustEd View Post
    An option is to use a silver oxide battery which does not require air. A size 13 zinc air battery would equate to a 393 silver oxide battery. Or, perhaps a rechargeable hearing aid battery would not require air (not sure what types of batteries rechargeables use).

One of you geniuses should invent and patent a water tight system!