Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CIC wearing Comfort Vs RIC, and phone use

1. Default CIC wearing Comfort Vs RIC, and phone use

For 4 years I'm wearing Aids, behind the ear models for Audio Service. Over the last 4 years my hearing is gotten worse with 20 db. SO I had the same problem as when I started wearing them. After reading I tested Oticon Opn 1. The idea of heaving BT phone link sounded like a good thing.
    The phone link didn't work all times, I still had difficulty understanding people, especially in a noisy environment. Also the phone sound sounded a bit distorted. Music streaming was a laugh. Useless.
    In part of the situations the opn worked fine, but when it was quiet, and the wife made typical kitchen noise with cups or pans, it hurt my ear, somehow it went way to loud.
    After two times different settings from the audi I wasn't ready to buy them for the amount they cost. I gave them back.
    After some thinking, I thought, the phone problem could maybe be solved with CIC or ITE aids. My idea is, when sound from my phone gets in the ear and gets amplified by the aid it should work. The problem with the behind the ear is that you hold the phone so it gives sound in the ear and the aid doesn't pick it up, because the microphone is an inch higher behind the ear. With the Opn, Television sound was fine without BT. Didn't need to raise the volume to understand what is said.
    I have also tried a big headphone over the Opn, for music, that works great too, the opn added what I was missing, and I had great low end sound too.

One thing I also didn't like with the Opn was the in the ear piece, with the 85 version it is pretty big, and it needs good placing else the part where the sound comes out is against the wall, and not in the right direction in the channel. The behind the ear model doesn;t have that problem.

So what is the good and bad from having in the ear aids?
    I've seen the new Phonak Virto B90-Titanium, anyone?
    250 500 1000 2000 4000
    R -15 -35 -60 -58 -90
    L -20 -50 -60 -65 -95

For phone use with RIC without direct streaming capability (like with Android phones), you can simply put the OPN inside your ear well like in this link Attachment 1242 so you can put your Android phone or smaller headset right on your ear and be able to pick up everything clearly. But later on this year Oticon will come out with ConnectClip 3.0 for the OPN to enable streaming from Android phones or any standard BT device. Otherwise direct streaming with the iPhone is already available. So there is a short term (OPN inside ear well) and long term (streamer) solution to stick with RIC and not having to revert back to CIC again if you don't want to.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

KHz 0.25...0.5...0.75...1.0...1.5...2.0...3.0...4.0... 6.0...8.0

Left ...10...10....10.....30.....70....75....80....95.. ..90....80
    Right .25...30....40.....55.....75....85....90....90...1 00...100

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Volusiano View Post
    For phone use with RIC without direct streaming capability (like with Android phones), you can simply put the OPN inside your ear well like in this link Attachment 1242 so you can put your Android phone or smaller headset right on your ear and be able to pick up everything clearly. But later on this year Oticon will come out with ConnectClip 3.0 for the OPN to enable streaming from Android phones or any standard BT device. Otherwise direct streaming with the iPhone is already available. So there is a short term (OPN inside ear well) and long term (streamer) solution to stick with RIC and not having to revert back to CIC again if you don't want to.
    Volusiano, thanks for answering, but I might have not been clear, I'm looking for a solution that works without direct streaming. And thought maybe the CiC solution does this well, I didn't like the OPN so much.
    250 500 1000 2000 4000
    R -15 -35 -60 -58 -90
    L -20 -50 -60 -65 -95

Blog Entries

Well, there have been complaints about OPN connectivity. Starkey and Resound have been at it longer. (Resound is on their 3rd generation that has it. And Starkey similar time.)

With your loss you will need a larger canal aid. It is likely to be more noticeable because it fills the entire canal. They tend to work less well and are repair prone.
    Hidden Content
    KS6's w. Phone Clip +

Visit my blog here for post that I think valuable -- especially new members.

There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. -- William Shakespeare

I wore CIC and mCIC for years and years, just recently switched back to RIC. I can tell you I much preferred the CIC with phones, you could seal the phone to your ear, wear headsets, anything you liked. With some of the smaller mCIC I had, you could even wear shorter ear plugs. The only thing that does better is my new Widex Beyond RIC direct streaming.
    L:75....75....70.....75.....65......60
    R: no hearing

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by JeffBowser View Post
    I wore CIC and mCIC for years and years, just recently switched back to RIC. I can tell you I much preferred the CIC with phones, you could seal the phone to your ear, wear headsets, anything you liked. With some of the smaller mCIC I had, you could even wear shorter ear plugs. The only thing that does better is my new Widex Beyond RIC direct streaming.
    What was the reason to switch to RIC? Is it comfort?
    250 500 1000 2000 4000
    R -15 -35 -60 -58 -90
    L -20 -50 -60 -65 -95

I trialed the Widex Unique mCIC and the Beyond 3 weeks each and I heard/understood better with the Beyond even though the technology was essentially the same. I believe it came down to the dual microphones vs the single that allowed its features to work better. The direct stream to the iPhone was icing on the cake, and totally changed my outlook on taking phone calls. It's definitely not more comfortable, I still prefer CIC for comfort.
    L:75....75....70.....75.....65......60
    R: no hearing

8. Default

I have been wearing HAs for about 25 yrs. Started with CIC, then ITE, then RIC. Have recently gone back to CIC (Signia Silk Primax 3) primarily due to comfort & ease of phone use. I prefer CIC as a few times my RIC would get bumped off (mowing around trees, crawling under vehicles etc.)
    L 50...50.....60.....60......65........55
    R 50...50......60.....60......70.......55

I find RIC with the soft domes more comfortable and easier on the ear. However for best sound, in-the-ear form factors are MUCH better for me. I prefer to hold my phone to my ear. Once Bluetooth enters the equation the sound quality goes down immensely. So much so that it's very difficult for me to have a conversation. So that a deal breaker for me right there.
    My Aids:
    2003 - Unitron Conversa - lots of features, poor audio quality. REJECTED
    2003 - Sonic Natura 2se - Good, KEPT
    2012 - Unitron Moxi 6 - had basically same reaction as Conversa. REJECTED
    2012 - Sonic Velocity 12 - Good sound quality, good basic no-frills aid. These are my backups. KEPT
    2012 - Siemens Motion 701 CIC. Sounded just "OK". REJECTED
    2012 - Starkey Wi i110 - Good, KEPT (ReSound maybe better?)
    2015 - Siemens Pure Micon RIC (trial device circa 2014/2015) - These are "ok".

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by grantb5 View Post
    I find RIC with the soft domes more comfortable and easier on the ear.
    Same here with me. After having worn my RIC soft closed domes for 6 months, I just tried putting on my old CIC HAs and they feel very hard and uncomfortable compare to the soft domes of the RIC.

Quote Originally Posted by grantb5 View Post
    However for best sound, in-the-ear form factors are MUCH better for me. I prefer to hold my phone to my ear. Once Bluetooth enters the equation the sound quality goes down immensely. So much so that it's very difficult for me to have a conversation. So that a deal breaker for me right there.
    I don't seem to have this problem, however. The quality of the Bluetooth streaming is very acceptable for me for phone calls. For music of course you can't compare BT streaming to your HAs against a good set of headphones. But even with RIC, I can wear the bigger headphones to cover my ear including the HAs completely anyway. If I want to wear the smaller on-the-ear (not over-the-ear) headsets, I simply put my HAs inside my ear before I put my headsets on (Attachment 1246).
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

KHz 0.25...0.5...0.75...1.0...1.5...2.0...3.0...4.0... 6.0...8.0

Left ...10...10....10.....30.....70....75....80....95.. ..90....80
    Right .25...30....40.....55.....75....85....90....90...1 00...100