Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CIC wearing Comfort Vs RIC, and phone use

The thing I notice with CIC's or any ITE format is also moisture/sweat. I think there are some CIC styles that are available with domes instead of full custom. Not sure though.

I think my Bluetooth issue may actually be a failing of the secondary link between the aids and the gateway device (the Siemens Remote). My Siemens RICs are a few years old (before the name change) and they are Pure Micon which is one or two technology generations back no doubt as well.

Regarding the headphones, I too like to use over-the-ear style, but with my RICs it is all-feedback-all-the-time. So I can't do it no matter what I try.

I'm up for new devices anyway so I am going to try something ITE. It will be pushing the limit though as I'm getting very HOH. If I can't pull that off I will try a newer RIC in hopes that the experience has improved.
    My Aids:
    2003 - Unitron Conversa - lots of features, poor audio quality. REJECTED
    2003 - Sonic Natura 2se - Good, KEPT
    2012 - Unitron Moxi 6 - had basically same reaction as Conversa. REJECTED
    2012 - Sonic Velocity 12 - Good sound quality, good basic no-frills aid. These are my backups. KEPT
    2012 - Siemens Motion 701 CIC. Sounded just "OK". REJECTED
    2012 - Starkey Wi i110 - Good, KEPT (ReSound maybe better?)
    2015 - Siemens Pure Micon RIC (trial device circa 2014/2015) - These are "ok".

2. Default

The Signia Silk CIC that I have use soft click sleeve domes, best of both worlds?
    Last edited by djonbrody; 07-11-2017 at 01:04 PM.
    L 50...50.....60.....60......65........55
    R 50...50......60.....60......70.......55

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by djonbrody View Post
    The Signia Silk CIC that I have use soft click sleeve domes, best of both worlds?
    Probably! I really like this design.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

KHz 0.25...0.5...0.75...1.0...1.5...2.0...3.0...4.0... 6.0...8.0

Left ...10...10....10.....30.....70....75....80....95.. ..90....80
    Right .25...30....40.....55.....75....85....90....90...1 00...100

Quote Originally Posted by djonbrody View Post
    Yeah that is a nice form factor. I wonder if anyone else is doing similar or if there are other models. I'll have to check the fitting guide as my loss is getting pretty big.
    My Aids:
    2012 - Sonic Velocity 12 - Good sound quality, good basic no-frills aid. These are my backups. KEPT

My own 2-cents' worth: I own and use both RIE and ITE aids. It's a great pair that actually solves ALL my listening needs - albeit in a cludgey sense, since I'd really rather use ONE pair of aids that use ONE size of battery and STREAM with my phone and TV. Such is not my universe ... yet.

I find the soft domes of the Oticon OPN aids way more comfy to start my day with. I can sleep with these on (and hear alarm clocks in the morning!), wear them on long flights, and basically not even know I have a pair of aids in. That is IF I get the receiver to seat in the ear right. The soft domes sit over a matchstick-shaped receiver. Now is that stick comfy to shove into an ear canal? Only if you do it right.

By contrast, my Agil Pro ITE aids are hard plastic. Since I wear them maybe 1/3 to half the time, they still fit, but seriously, our ear canals change shape like our creaky joints during the day. So these HARD plastic aids will simply not fit in my ears if they are swollen (with sleep, humidity, workout sweat, etc.,).

It's comical, but without a perfect solution (comfort, fit, seal, etc.,) I am happy juggling two sets of aids with two sizes of batteries and only ONE of them that streams with the phone, and only the other that streams with my TV. Far from perfect. But at least I can get through all my communication situations.

The RIE aids can be used with a headphone for music (or phone!) if I boost them up over my ears where the mic is; the ITE aids can be used easier with a phone just lifted to my ear (no feedback). It's a balancing act that I've simply had to adjust to as there is no perfect device out there to fit all my needs.
    HAs from 1985>Starkey>Phonak>AGX>Oticon Agil Pro ITE>Oticon Opn miniRITE

KHz 0.25...0.5...1.0...2.0...3.0...4.0....6.0...8.0

Left ..65....80....80....65.....65....60....65....90
    Right 65....80....80....75.....75....70....65....90

That's interesting. I guess I'm kind of in the same boat. Surprised you can sleep with your Oticin OPN RIE (this is different than RIC?). I would get feedback and physical discomfort laying down on mine. And I'm jealous of those of you that can fit headphones over your BTE/RIC/RIE styles. I have PSB headphones which are over-the-ear, but I just get feedback unless I switch to my ITE/CIC style aids. Arghh.

Anyway I'm shopping for something new. Those click-dome ITC types look interesting for sure, but will see if something will fit for my loss in that small a form factor.

Thanks for the comments!
    My Aids:

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by grantb5 View Post
    That's interesting. I guess I'm kind of in the same boat. Surprised you can sleep with your Oticin OPN RIE (this is different than RIC?). I would get feedback and physical discomfort laying down on mine. And I'm jealous of those of you that can fit headphones over your BTE/RIC/RIE styles. I have PSB headphones which are over-the-ear, but I just get feedback unless I switch to my ITE/CIC style aids. Arghh.

Anyway I'm shopping for something new. Those click-dome ITC types look interesting for sure, but will see if something will fit for my loss in that small a form factor.

Thanks for the comments!
    Most modern HAs are pretty good at removing feedbacks but it also depends on how much venting you're being fitted with and how bad your hearing loss is. I can put my hands over my OPN 1s and have no feedback at all. I use closed domes with single vent.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

KHz 0.25...0.5...0.75...1.0...1.5...2.0...3.0...4.0... 6.0...8.0

Left ...10...10....10.....30.....70....75....80....95.. ..90....80
    Right .25...30....40.....55.....75....85....90....90...1 00...100