Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any aids with (battery friendly) BLE?

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Volusiano View Post
    As far as I know, there's no direct streaming available between HAs and Android phones yet (only for iPhones and iOS so far). There's INDIRECT streaming via a neck streamer for Android phones where the neck streamer interfaces via BT with the Android phone and via BLE with the HA. But no direct streaming with Android because most current Android phones don't support the new BLE 5.0 yet. For the new Androids that support the BLE 5.0 like S8, the HA mfgs now in turn has to tweak their HAs to support BLE 5.0 as well. But I haven't seen any HA mfg done this tweak yet.
    That's certainly the case for Resound. The app lets you tweak all the HA parameters but you need to use a phoneclip to gateway the regular BT to the aids. Note that the firmware may need to be upgraded in the HA to get them to work as well. Even the Relief app uses the iphones streaming interface .
    Last edited by rnatalie; 07-11-2017 at 02:56 PM.
    250 500 1K 2K 3K 4K 6K 8K
    R 15 25 30 40 50 55 60 65
    L 10 25 15 20 30 40 45 35

Resound Linx 3D 9 (June 2017)
    Airllink2 Programmer/Smart Fit Software
    Multimic
    Phoneclip+
    TV Streamer 2
    iPhone 6

The Oticon OPN is also MFI and, I assume, uses Apple's BLE. At least one doesn't pair them using the normal Bluetooth mechanism.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jonat View Post
    The Oticon OPN is also MFI and, I assume, uses Apple's BLE. At least one doesn't pair them using the normal Bluetooth mechanism.
    If they show up on the HEARING AIDS section of the Accessibility tab (or the triple-click), then it's a made-for-the-iphone device.
    250 500 1K 2K 3K 4K 6K 8K
    R 15 25 30 40 50 55 60 65
    L 10 25 15 20 30 40 45 35

Resound Linx 3D 9 (June 2017)
    Airllink2 Programmer/Smart Fit Software
    Multimic
    Phoneclip+
    TV Streamer 2
    iPhone 6

Quote Originally Posted by rnatalie View Post
    If they show up on the HEARING AIDS section of the Accessibility tab (or the triple-click), then it's a made-for-the-iphone device.
    They do show up there. I can also tell they use BLE because the OPN app takes so long to connect.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jonat View Post
    All HAs that are MFI/iPhone direct uses Apple's proprietary BLE. However, they may use other BLE protocols with their own streamers. For example, Oticon licenses and uses the CEVA RivieraWaves BLE protocol for their TV Adapter 3.0 streamer. Apparently Widex is using the NXP BLE protocol as mentioned in the original post in this thread.

But finally now that a standard (the BLE 5.0) has become available, future Android phones (starting with the Samsung S8) will start adopting this standard and hopefully the HA mfgs will start making their HAs work with the Android phones via this BLE 5.0 standard.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

KHz 0.25...0.5...0.75...1.0...1.5...2.0...3.0...4.0... 6.0...8.0

Left ...10...10....10.....30.....70....75....80....95.. ..90....80
    Right .25...30....40.....55.....75....85....90....90...1 00...100

Battery life really depends on how much you expect the HAs to deal with in a given time frame. If you're traveling in a car over rough mountain roads, hauling a trailer and heavy gear, chances are good you'll consume more fuel than if you were stuck in traffic alone idling your engine. Use that analogy with the power from your HA batteries- are you streaming sounds in from your phone or tv equipment as well as processing the normal environmental sounds you encounter daily? Are you in a noisy environment? Are you in a quiet room, driving a tractor or in a construction zone? Are you in lengthy conferences or a library?

Is it worth it to you to fret over battery life squeeze every bit of juice out of a couple of 312s, or do you simply want to hear things well? For me, it's more about hearing clearly. The Bluetooth phone deal is still taking some getting used to - I can't lip read when listening through the phone. Am I trying to hear the caller through the phone or through the vehicle? What other sounds are going on when the phone calls come in? This isn't the old corded landline mounted to the wall in the hall so I'm probably moving around and talking to a caller who is also moving around and likely has their own background noises going on. That's expecting quite a lot from not only the HAs but also the brain. Adding expectations for Maximum Battery Performance on top of all that? Why?
    250...500....1k....2k....3k....4K....6k....8k
    -20----25----30---30---45---35---40---45 right
    -20----25----30---35---45---40---45---45 left

WRS 100 / 96

with constant non-pulsatile tinnitus

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Volusiano View Post
    But finally now that a standard (the BLE 5.0) has become available, future Android phones (starting with the Samsung S8) will start adopting this standard and hopefully the HA mfgs will start making their HAs work with the Android phones via this BLE 5.0 standard.
    I'm not across the technicalities (any of them) of Bluetooth. However, from https://www.cnet.com/news/bluetooth-...eless-network/, a quote from the executive director of the Bluetooth SIG:

"The organization is in the thick of some work to move all the audio applications onto the low-energy radio," Powell said. The result should be lower power consumption, shorter delays when starting to play music and better sound quality through new compression technology. The first priority, though, will be Bluetooth-powered hearing aids, he said.

Last edited by d'Wooluf; 07-18-2017 at 02:32 AM.

Blog Entries

It appears Apple hasn't done anything significant other than to embrace the Intel "Moore's Law" design for BT/WiFi. In 2012, Intel released the specs. It will be fully implemented in the BT 5.0 standard. Yes, their driver is different from BT 4.x but it is really the hardware that makes it possible. The real change is hardware based. It allows much lower power for transmitting digital to analog signals. The current dies use 14/16 nm and the move to 10 nm will produce another notable power reduction. Power is the key limit with aids.
    Hidden Content
    KS6's w. Phone Clip +

Visit my blog here for post that I think valuable -- especially new members.

There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. -- William Shakespeare