Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oticon OPN Speech Rescue LX

Default Oticon OPN Speech Rescue LX

I'm starting a new thread here to discuss the new Oticon OPN Speech Rescue LX feature that recently became available with the new OPN Firmware 4 update that came out in June/July 2017.

I just had my new OPN Firmware 4 update done today at the audi's office. I asked her to add the Speech Rescue LX feature into a new program for me to try out. This is easy because you just select and add that feature into one or more programs that you have in the Genie 2.0. This way you can add it to a new program but not your default program so you can do A to B comparison. So we added a program 3 that has Speech Rescue LX activated.

I also asked her to add it to my TV Adapter 3.0 streaming mode, as well as my iPhone streaming mode. She doesn't know so she asked Oticon support, because there's no TV Adapter program or iPhone program shown on Genie 2.0, so how can you add it to those programs if they're not in Genie?

At first Oticon support told her to tell me to just select program 3 (the one I have Speech Rescue activated) when I'm streaming and it'll pick up the Speech Rescue functionality. I told them I don't believe it'll work like that because you have to specifically go to the TV Adapter mode, but this mode is not on Genie 2, and if you select program 3, it'll kick you out of the TV Adapter mode. So Oticon support put us on hold to ask their experts, and came back and told us to put Speech Rescue in program 1 (the default mode), and that even while streaming (either in the TV Adapter mode or the iPhone mode), the setting in program 1 (the default program) will apply to the streaming modes as well.

While I was skeptical, we obliged with that suggestion, and I told my audi to remove all programs on my OPN and leave only 1 default program, and put Speech Rescue into this default program.

By the way, just as a side note, I brought along my TV Adapter 3.0 box that I bought from eBay since Nov'2016 to get a firmware update on it, too, because I heard from some forum members that they had theirs updated (not the OPN FW update but a separate TV Adapter 3.0 FW update). My audi plugged the TV Adapter in and the computer told her there's no new FW update for it. She asked Oticon Support and they said there's no FW update for the TV Adapter at this time. So I don't know why some forum members said there is.

Anyway, back to the topic of the Speech Rescue functionality. While my audi was on the phone with Oticon support, I listened in with Speech Rescue turned on, and I could hear the "s" and "sh" on her voice much more clearly now, and at a lower frequency range, but still sounding very natural, no distortion noticed whatsoever and nothing unnatural noticed. I hear the freq. lowered sounds more obviously on my left OPN 1, but if I pay attention, I do notice it on my right OPN 1 as well. Don't know why it's more obvious on one side than the other, maybe has something to do with the balance. Also my left ear has better low & mid hearing than my right ear, which may be a factor as well. Overall, it seems like this feature may work out well for me, but I'll need to spend more time with it, and will report back in the next few weeks as I have more chance to try it out in real live situations.

As for whether Speech Rescue is activated in the TV Adapter streaming and iPhone streaming or not, I tried it out when I came home and I do notice that it does seem to work in those streaming modes, too, like they said it would as long as I have it enabled in my default program 1 mode, which I do.

The only thing I'm not able to do is to be able to turn Speech Rescue on and off at will, for easier A to B comparison instantaneously. It would have been nice if there's a way to do it, but because I chose to have it in my default program in order to have it enabled while streaming as well, so now it's always enabled. In hind sight maybe if I have a second program without it on, maybe I can do A to B comparison in live situations.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

KHz 0.25...0.5...0.75...1.0...1.5...2.0...3.0...4.0... 6.0...8.0

Left ...10...10....10.....30.....70....75....80....95.. ..90....80
    Right .25...30....40.....55.....75....85....90....90...1 00...100

Thanks! I was curious how it went and was thinking it should have happened or be pretty soon. Regarding it being more pronounced in your "better" ear: I know Oticon's frequency lowering is not compression, but I do know that Siemens and Phonak use the "better" ear to determine settings with compression. Perhaps Oticon does something similar, even though the systems are entirely different?

Quote Originally Posted by Volusiano View Post
    I'm starting a new thread here to discuss the new Oticon OPN Speech Rescue LX feature that recently became available with the new OPN Firmware 4 update that came out in June/July 2017.

I just had my new OPN Firmware 4 update done today at the audi's office. I asked her to add the Speech Rescue LX feature into a new program for me to try out. This is easy because you just select and add that feature into one or more programs that you have in the Genie 2.0. This way you can add it to a new program but not your default program so you can do A to B comparison. So we added a program 3 that has Speech Rescue LX activated.

I also asked her to add it to my TV Adapter 3.0 streaming mode, as well as my iPhone streaming mode. She doesn't know so she asked Oticon support, because there's no TV Adapter program or iPhone program shown on Genie 2.0, so how can you add it to those programs if they're not in Genie?

At first Oticon support told her to tell me to just select program 3 (the one I have Speech Rescue activated) when I'm streaming and it'll pick up the Speech Rescue functionality. I told them I don't believe it'll work like that because you have to specifically go to the TV Adapter mode, but this mode is not on Genie 2, and if you select program 3, it'll kick you out of the TV Adapter mode. So Oticon support put us on hold to ask their experts, and came back and told us to put Speech Rescue in program 1 (the default mode), and that even while streaming (either in the TV Adapter mode or the iPhone mode), the setting in program 1 (the default program) will apply to the streaming modes as well.

While I was skeptical, we obliged with that suggestion, and I told my audi to remove all programs on my OPN and leave only 1 default program, and put Speech Rescue into this default program.

By the way, just as a side note, I brought along my TV Adapter 3.0 box that I bought from eBay since Nov'2016 to get a firmware update on it, too, because I heard from some forum members that they had theirs updated (not the OPN FW update but a separate TV Adapter 3.0 FW update). My audi plugged the TV Adapter in and the computer told her there's no new FW update for it. She asked Oticon Support and they said there's no FW update for the TV Adapter at this time. So I don't know why some forum members said there is.

Anyway, back to the topic of the Speech Rescue functionality. While my audi was on the phone with Oticon support, I listened in with Speech Rescue turned on, and I could hear the "s" and "sh" on her voice much more clearly now, and at a lower frequency range, but still sounding very natural, no distortion noticed whatsoever and nothing unnatural noticed. I hear the freq. lowered sounds more obviously on my left OPN 1, but if I pay attention, I do notice it on my right OPN 1 as well. Don't know why it's more obvious on one side than the other, maybe has something to do with the balance. Also my left ear has better low & mid hearing than my right ear, which may be a factor as well. Overall, it seems like this feature may work out well for me, but I'll need to spend more time with it, and will report back in the next few weeks as I have more chance to try it out in real live situations.

As for whether Speech Rescue is activated in the TV Adapter streaming and iPhone streaming or not, I tried it out when I came home and I do notice that it does seem to work in those streaming modes, too, like they said it would as long as I have it enabled in my default program 1 mode, which I do.

The only thing I'm not able to do is to be able to turn Speech Rescue on and off at will, for easier A to B comparison instantaneously. It would have been nice if there's a way to do it, but because I chose to have it in my default program in order to have it enabled while streaming as well, so now it's always enabled. In hind sight maybe if I have a second program without it on, maybe I can do A to B comparison in live situations.
    .25 .5 1 1.5 2 3.0 4.0 6.0 8.0

15 15 20 30 30 55 75 90 NR ​KS7
    10 10 20 15 25 35 65 85 95 WRS 100/92@45/40

Quote Originally Posted by MDB View Post
    Thanks! I was curious how it went and was thinking it should have happened or be pretty soon. Regarding it being more pronounced in your "better" ear: I know Oticon's frequency lowering is not compression, but I do know that Siemens and Phonak use the "better" ear to determine settings with compression. Perhaps Oticon does something similar, even though the systems are entirely different?
    Ah, perhaps you're onto something there about using the better ear to decide on knee points for compression, or in the Oticon OPN's case, where to place the composed lowered sounds. Perhaps it chooses the optimum composition placement based on my better ear, in which case is my left. And maybe there's a reason to have the placement be at the same position on both ears to avoid the composed sounds having different frequencies on different ears, causing more confusion than helping.

By the way, I'm coming back to my audi on Monday to have her add back a second program which is the same as the default program except without the Speech Rescue in it. That will allow me to do A to B comparison when I'm in a live situation.
    Last edited by Volusiano; 07-15-2017 at 01:52 PM.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

I just noticed a faint chime that comes from my fridge now as I fill my cup with water from it. Before Speech Rescue I did notice a high frequency faint chime. This time with Speech Rescue, I notice that the chime sounds different, with lower frequency sounds to it as well. I'm assuming that this is the transposed sound I'm hearing here.

Throughout the day I started noticing faint beeps from all kinds of electronic devices that I never heard before but not am starting to notice due to this frequency lowering gig. I know they make it all about speech enhancement, but it sure enables you to hear more high sounds than just the "s's" and "sh's" in speech.
    Last edited by Volusiano; 07-14-2017 at 11:13 PM.

5. Default

I had my Opn's updated and Speech Rescue enabled. Since then, I'm hearing a lot of female speakers where "s" sounds like a sibilant "sh". I found it particularly noticeable in enclosed spaces with constant background noise like cars and planes. Since I know very well that my wife and daughters don't speak like that normally, I believe that this is a result of speech rescue processing. I asked my audiologist to check with Oticon and they thought it sounded like it involved speech rescue but had no good suggestions. I'll give it a bit more time, but I may have speech rescue turned off.

I'd give it some time. Although I have completely different frequency lowering technology (Rexton's Frequency compression), I experienced a fair amount of sibilance initially, but don't now. Also, if it doesn't improve enough with time, there may be less "strong" settings that could be used. I just don't know the Speech Rescue software, but I doubt that it's just an on or off thing.

Quote Originally Posted by mkertzman View Post
    I had my Opn's updated and Speech Rescue enabled. Since then, I'm hearing a lot of female speakers where "s" sounds like a sibilant "sh". I found it particularly noticeable in enclosed spaces with constant background noise like cars and planes. Since I know very well that my wife and daughters don't speak like that normally, I believe that this is a result of speech rescue processing. I asked my audiologist to check with Oticon and they thought it sounded like it involved speech rescue but had no good suggestions. I'll give it a bit more time, but I may have speech rescue turned off.

Do you know if your audiologist did any verification or just accepted default settings?

Do you know if your audiologist did any verification or just accepted default settings?
    She just enabled the Speech Rescue feature and did nothing else like making some kind of adjustment to it. So I assume that it just went to the default settings.

I read the Speech Rescue white paper again and based on my loss (which is pretty severe at 1.5KHz and up), the default setting should have put the destination frequency band at the 2KHz band (which is the lowest configuration 1 of the 10 different configurations built into Speech Rescue). But even at this lowest frequency band, since I only have the 85db receiver, it's not enough to amplify the lowered sounds on my right ear because my loss there at 2KHz is already at 85db. That's why I don't hear the lowered sounds as well in my right ear but I do hear them on my left ear, because my left ear's loss is at 75db, still barely within what the 85db receiver can manage.

There's also a volume (strength) setting to let you adjust how loud you want the lowered sounds to be. The default is at 0db, with plus/minus 6dB range in step of 2dB increments.

Anyway, I've been OK to get by with the 85db receivers so far, but now in light of the Speech Rescue feature, and I also want to have some margin in case my hearing gets worse over time (and my right hearing did get worse over the last 5 years), I'm going to ask my audi to switch me over to the 105db receivers now so that I can have Speech Rescue work better for me.

To mkertzman, instead of asking your audi to turn off the Speech Rescue entirely, ask him or her to verify which of the 10 configurations is selected for your setting to verify whether it's appropriate for your hearing loss or not. Then there's also the volume setting you can adjust in case you find the lowered sounds to be too obtrusive, you can reduce the lowered sounds volume.

Here's fitting assistants for all (most at least) frequency lowering systems. Speech Rescue is near the top. Estimating the MAOF is a bit challenging, but it lets you see what different settings do.

She just enabled the Speech Rescue feature and did nothing else like making some kind of adjustment to it. So I assume that it just went to the default settings.

I read the Speech Rescue white paper again and based on my loss (which is pretty severe at 1.5KHz and up), the default setting should have put the destination frequency band at the 2KHz band (which is the lowest configuration 1 of the 10 different configurations built into Speech Rescue). But even at this lowest frequency band, since I only have the 85db receiver, it's not enough to amplify the lowered sounds on my right ear because my loss there at 2KHz is already at 85db. That's why I don't hear the lowered sounds as well in my right ear but I do hear them on my left ear, because my left ear's loss is at 75db, still barely within what the 85db receiver can manage.

There's also a volume (strength) setting to let you adjust how loud you want the lowered sounds to be. The default is at 0db, with plus/minus 6dB range in step of 2dB increments.

Anyway, I've been OK to get by with the 85db receivers so far, but now in light of the Speech Rescue feature, and I also want to have some margin in case my hearing gets worse over time (and my right hearing did get worse over the last 5 years), I'm going to ask my audi to switch me over to the 105db receivers now so that I can have Speech Rescue work better for me.

To mkertzman, instead of asking your audi to turn off the Speech Rescue entirely, ask him or her to verify which of the 10 configurations is selected for your setting to verify whether it's appropriate for your hearing loss or not. Then there's also the volume setting you can adjust in case you find the lowered sounds to be too obtrusive, you can reduce the lowered sounds volume.

From this https://www.oticon.com/~/media/otico...ew%20sheet.pdf

it looks like you'd need a custom mold to use the 105s My extremely limited understanding is that if you have some sort of frequency lowering implemented, there is no need to try to amplify the higher frequencies. (Perhaps less true for Oticon since the high frequencies remain?)

Here's fitting assistants for all (most at least) frequency lowering systems. Speech Rescue is near the top. Estimating the MAOF is a bit challenging, but it lets you see what different settings do.