Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First evening with my Starkey RIC's

Default First evening with my Starkey RIC's

Good evening everyone. I have not posted recently because I wanted to wait until I got my new hearing aids. I was fitted this evening and the Dr. set them at 50% so that I can adjust to them. I'm supposed to go back in about a week for a checkup and more adjustments to get closer to to 100% (although I'm not sure how long that process actually takes - I guess it differs for each person.)

I wanted to ask y'all if this is normal or not? When the hearing aids amplify my upper range, any loud voices are sounding similar to what you'd hear if someone was talking through an electric window fan. I'm also an organist, and when I was playing this evening, I noticed that now the upper register notes on the organ sound extremely out-of-tune with each other, almost kind of "gurgly". I'm not sure what the best word is to describe this sound, but it must be something digital. Will the doctor be able to adjust the HA so that things sound "normal"? If this is what I have to settle for when playing the organ, I'm going to be extremely frustrated. For all you musicians out there, I've tuned pianos, and this sound is akin to a unison note that has very fast waves. It drives me nuts!

If anyone has any advice, I'd appreciate hearing it (no pun intended . I realize that I have A LOT of adjustments to get used to in this process.

Thanks....

Craig
    HZ 250 500 1000 2000 3000 4000 6000 8000
    LE 0 0 0 55 50 45 30 30
    RE 5 5 5 60 55 50 35 35

Musicians are often not happy with the sound of hearing aids. I suspect you'd be happiest if you either took them out or turned them off while playing or listening to music.

Quote Originally Posted by musikfan View Post
    Good evening everyone. I have not posted recently because I wanted to wait until I got my new hearing aids. I was fitted this evening and the Dr. set them at 50% so that I can adjust to them. I'm supposed to go back in about a week for a checkup and more adjustments to get closer to to 100% (although I'm not sure how long that process actually takes - I guess it differs for each person.)

I wanted to ask y'all if this is normal or not? When the hearing aids amplify my upper range, any loud voices are sounding similar to what you'd hear if someone was talking through an electric window fan. I'm also an organist, and when I was playing this evening, I noticed that now the upper register notes on the organ sound extremely out-of-tune with each other, almost kind of "gurgly". I'm not sure what the best word is to describe this sound, but it must be something digital. Will the doctor be able to adjust the HA so that things sound "normal"? If this is what I have to settle for when playing the organ, I'm going to be extremely frustrated. For all you musicians out there, I've tuned pianos, and this sound is akin to a unison note that has very fast waves. It drives me nuts!

If anyone has any advice, I'd appreciate hearing it (no pun intended . I realize that I have A LOT of adjustments to get used to in this process.

Thanks....

Craig
    .25 .5 1 1.5 2 3.0 4.0 6.0 8.0

15 15 20 30 30 55 75 90 NR ​KS7
    10 10 20 15 25 35 65 85 95 WRS 100/92@45/40

Has there been any feedback control done on your HAs? I understand that some of the techniques used for feedback control involves some slight frequency shifting that can cause things to sound out of tune, especially noticeable by musicians.

As for loud voices sounding like they're talking through an electric window fan, that seems pretty odd and shouldn't be like that. I'm wondering if you're experiencing some kind of compression pumping done by your HAs. What I'm saying is that if the mic inputs of your HAs don't have a wide enough input dynamic range, loud inputs will be compressed by the HAs to avoid clipping/distortion. And when the input level is not as loud again, compression stops. Fluctuating soft then loud then soft then loud volumes may result in what's called compression pumping -> compression when loud then no compression when soft and compression again when loud, etc. -> hence the phrase compression pumping. I'm not sure if this is what's happening or not, though. Just guessing because you said it sounds maybe like fluttering when talking through a window fan... It's definitely not normal nor desirable. Hopefully your audi can fix that for you.

The gurgly sound of your organ notes may be due to compression pumping as well, who knows?...
    Last edited by Volusiano; 07-20-2017 at 11:35 PM.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

KHz 0.25...0.5...0.75...1.0...1.5...2.0...3.0...4.0... 6.0...8.0

Left ...10...10....10.....30.....70....75....80....95.. ..90....80
    Right .25...30....40.....55.....75....85....90....90...1 00...100

Blog Entries

When you go back for adjustment, ask them to add a music program to evaluate things more fully.

The 50% setting is to acclimate to noises you haven't heard lately. Typing on your keyboard may sound loud/annoying along with other household sounds. If that doesn't bother you much, he can rapidly increase the settings or use the full prescription. The 50% idea is really a band-aid to help you acclimate and you may find it unnecessary. The brain will minimize this with usage.
    Hidden Content
    KS6's w. Phone Clip +

Visit my blog here for post that I think valuable -- especially new members.

There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. -- William Shakespeare

They have had these new aids in a few hours and already the internet experts already know the answers!!

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Jake View Post
    They have had these new aids in a few hours and already the internet experts already know the answers!!
    At least I'm sure the OP will appreciate the internet experts' answers because the OP asked for them. I'm not sure if the OP cares for this internet expert's smart-ass and useless comment which will probably deter more internet experts to chime in with more helpful comments.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

KHz 0.25...0.5...0.75...1.0...1.5...2.0...3.0...4.0... 6.0...8.0

Left ...10...10....10.....30.....70....75....80....95.. ..90....80
    Right .25...30....40.....55.....75....85....90....90...1 00...100

I'm sure his AuD will be excited to hear all things he should do because the patient heard it on the internet!

8. Default

I'm Egg Spurt in the middle, Oh wait there's two us us...

Click >>Hidden Content << when your post count=10+ or Use Search for "self programming links"
    My Hidden Content , My Wife's Hidden Content

Whatever the case, I'm looking forward to my next visit to my Audi (this coming Thursday), so that things can be adjusted. Any higher pitched voices are still sounding like someone taking through a fan. This is annoying and I'm really hoping that its not something that I"ll just have to live with. The office assistant called me on Friday to see how things were going, and I told her about it. She said that it's not normal and that she' never had that experience herself with her own HA's . The battery in my left aid already was acting up on Saturday evening (only two days after initially getting the HA's). I was driving in the car and it made that musical sound which you hear after you close the battery door to activate the HA. This morning in church, the sound came on again and the hearing aid cut out on me for a half hour and then came back on again. When I got home, I put new batteries in both hearing aids and have had no more power issues so far. Otherwise, I'm getting adjusted to having a foreign object down in my ear canal. The first day it was kind of annoying and it made my ears itch/tickle. Today I seem to be noticing it less. I know it's still early on yet in the process, so I'll stop complaining. Honestly, I 'm grateful to have the technology and I'm going to think positively, that we'll have them working well within the next few weeks. I appreciate everyone's input, and I'll post again after Thursday to let y'all know how things turned out at my follow-up visit.
    HZ 250 500 1000 2000 3000 4000 6000 8000
    LE 0 0 0 55 50 45 30 30
    RE 5 5 5 60 55 50 35 35

10. Default

Yep, give it a while. You hear all kinds of s*** with new HAs.
    Click >>Hidden Content << when your post count=10+ or Use Search for "self programming links"
    My Hidden Content , My Wife's Hidden Content