Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First evening with my Starkey RIC's

Quote Originally Posted by musikfan View Post
    Yep. She says to be patient. Me - I'm the "sound quality snob" who wants everything perfect right now! She looked closely at the aids and checked for anything odd but didn't say anything, so I assume they are functioning OK. I think I need to just chill. I'm way too intense about this stuff - analyzing it too much- expecting problems because back in 2014 I was vehemently told by another audiologist in Texas NOT to get Starkeys because of a bad reputation for endless repair/malfunctioning issues..and then reading more online that appears to confirm my suspicions about them... I had it in my mind that I would get the Phonak brand since the Texas Audi HIGHLY recommended these. Regardless, it'll work out.
    Just wondering why you still got the Starkey despite not only the other audi's warning but also based on your own research online about them? If you were biased toward the Phonak, how did you end up with the Starkey?

Getting acclimated to the louder sounds is one thing, but hearing fluttering sounds is another thing. Now if it's truly due to the wax build up like your audi said then the fluttering sound should have been gone now after she cleaned it up, right? If you still hear it after the wax is removed, then it must be something else and I'm not sure that it'd be something that would easily go away even after you've been acclimated, unless your audi knows what to do about it.

The speed issue you mentioned resulting in the echo is rare. At least I never experienced it myself nor have I heard anybody on this forum complain about it. Modern HAs have binaural processing where the left and right HAs communicate with each other and exchange data to ensure that they're in sync and any delay you hear would only be true delay due to the directionality of the sounds and not due to the speed/processing delay differences.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

KHz 0.25...0.5...0.75...1.0...1.5...2.0...3.0...4.0... 6.0...8.0

Left ...10...10....10.....30.....70....75....80....95.. ..90....80
    Right .25...30....40.....55.....75....85....90....90...1 00...100

I was vehemently told by another audiologist in Texas NOT to get Starkeys because of a bad reputation for endless repair/malfunctioning issues.

​IMO, that was solid advice.

My insurance doesn't cover HA's, so I went through our local Office of Vocational Rehabilitation. Based on my income, I was able to receive the exam and the HA's at not cost. Unfortunately, they only deal with certain Audis. I figured that most Audis would offer a variety of HA's, so I was going to request Phonaks. After the initial exam and consult, I found out that this Dr. only uses Starkeys. So, it was too late, and I'm kinda stuck with what I have. Volusiano, I'm thinking along the same lines as your comment, skeptical of this problem being able to be fixed. I'm trying to be positive but inside I am going to be very surprised if they can resolve it. The HA's have a one year warranty, so I suppose that if it can't be fixed, they could send them back.....I guess it's too early yet..... I've just got to be positive and pray for it to work out.
    The wax build up issue was supposedly a possible cause of the HA's shutting down and starting up again - due to moisture. I've had them in all day today with no shut down issues so far.
    Last edited by musikfan; 07-25-2017 at 06:11 PM.
    HZ 250 500 1000 2000 3000 4000 6000 8000
    LE 0 0 0 55 50 45 30 30
    RE 5 5 5 60 55 50 35 35

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by musikfan View Post
    My insurance doesn't cover HA's, so I went through our local Office of Vocational Rehabilitation. Based on my income, I was able to receive the exam and the HA's at not cost. Unfortunately, they only deal with certain Audis. I figured that most Audis would offer a variety of HA's, so I was going to request Phonaks. After the initial exam and consult, I found out that this Dr. only uses Starkeys. So, it was too late, and I'm kinda stuck with what I have. Volusiano, I'm thinking along the same lines as your comment, skeptical of this problem being able to be fixed. I'm trying to be positive but inside I am going to be very surprised if they can resolve it. The HA's have a one year warranty, so I suppose that if it can't be fixed, they could send them back.....I guess it's too early yet..... I've just got to be positive and pray for it to work out.
    The wax build up issue was supposedly a possible cause of the HA's shutting down and starting up again - due to moisture. I've had them in all day today with no shut down issues so far.
    FWIIW: I have been wearing Starkey Halo's for over 3 years and am pleased with them. No repairs and the only "failure" was the little mono filament whisker thingie came off one of them. Didn't bother anything. Have not been back to the audi for over 2 years. One of these days, when I get a round tuit, I will get them adjusted a little. Hang in there. BTW: Starkey has a help line, they have been very responsive the couple of times I used them. Unless the person is an audi, take all the advice you get on here with a grain of salt.
    LouYo
    L: . 30 .. 25 ... 30 ... 50 ... 55 ... 60 ... 70
    F: 250 .500 1000 2000 3000 4000 8000
    R: . 40 .. 40 ... 35 ... 60 ... 60 ... 65 ... 65

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Jake View Post
    Another highjacked thread!!
    I apologize for "hijacking the thread". I will be more careful in the future.
    KHz....250....500....1000...2000...3000...4000...6 000...8000
    Left.....20.......20.......45.......60......65.... ..70......60......55
    Right...15.......15.......40.......40......55..... .70......65......60

Noob with Starkey Muse i2400

Quote Originally Posted by RussF View Post
    I apologize for "hijacking the thread". I will be more careful in the future.
    No harm done on my part. I've made that mistake in the past. Now you know the ropes. I personally have never had an issue with someone hijacking my threads because I'm one of these people who just likes to talk with everyone, so any and all conversations are a welcome thing to me. However, I learned early on that this is not good etiquette when on a forum. At any rate, hope this one will be of some help to you.
    HZ 250 500 1000 2000 3000 4000 6000 8000
    LE 0 0 0 55 50 45 30 30
    RE 5 5 5 60 55 50 35 35

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Jake View Post
    I was vehemently told by another audiologist in Texas NOT to get Starkeys because of a bad reputation for endless repair/malfunctioning issues.

​IMO, that was solid advice.
    Yeah, maybe - not really had many issues with their RIC product. Their ITE seem to come in two flavours though - ones that last for about 15 years and are still going and the ones that need pretty regular lab-work. That would usually point to an user issue, but with the Starkeys it's not always the case in my experience.
    'He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life.'
    Link to my entry in the Hidden Content section.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content - Maintenance Stuff
    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Hidden Content