Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Signia Cellion Primax

Default Signia Cellion Primax

Well it's been over 6 years since I got my first HA's... in short it was not a good experience.
    I should have come back to this Forum for better advice compared to what I got from my audiologist then....My Bad !

I'm sorry I don't have my hearing test results to post my audiologist wouldn't give me a copy.

I tried for over 3 years to adjust to my Phonak Audeo V with return trips to have them adjusted with no satisfaction.
    My audiologist repeatedly shrugged it off telling me I'm not being patient and to accept that this is what you get...nothing he could do.

Of course my complaint was the common ones regarding the 'tin-can' sound and the overbearing ambient background sounds.

I finally gave up and stopped using my HA's.

The audiologist phoned annually leaving messages to make an appointment for hearing test.

I decided to return and be retested, 6 years after being fitted, and to see what advanced technology in HA's has taken place.

I got fitted with Phonak Audeo B-70 and sent home for the trial period. It was Not what I expected ! The 'crackle and canny' sound was so unnatural it became very disappointing, however, I prevailed and continued with the trial. At the first week follow up appointment I expressed my concerns but the audiologist told me there were 'no adjustments' he could make except turn down the volume. Duh... I could do that !

Still I gave it another go and kept using my HA's for the greater parts of the day up until the 37th day I had had enough and made an appointment to return my HA's.
    I explained to my audiologist that my brother, who is 6yrs old than me had the same Phonak Audeo V and had much the same first experience as me regarding sound quality, he just got fitted with Signia Cellion Primax HA's and after a follow up he complained to his audiologist about 'tin-can' sound with the new HA's, the audiologist eagerly made an adjustment and removed the 'tin-can' sound plus audiologist asked what about wind noise... she fixed that for him as well, now he can cruise in his classic car with the windows down.

Back to my problem, my audiologist explained to me that I should expect disappointment should I get Signia Cellion Primax HA's...noted that he does not carry Signia line HA's, but offered to get them in for me if I wanted.
    I asked... "if you bring them in for me -- will you adjust them for me to "my liking? "... his reply was slow coming and finally said 's u r e'... I told him that he was not very reassuring and at that point he suggested... " maybe we should part ways" .
    In short.. I left the bag of Phonak Audeo B-70 on his desk.

I have an appointment to be retested in 4 days at a New audiologist and I plan on ordering Signia Cellion Primax HA's to try.
    Want to know my first question>>> " will you adjust my Signia Cellion Primax HA's so I am comfortable to my liking"?

I will post my results and hope to keep it in a shorter story format.

I look forward to any feedback

DenMc

If you are within a comfortable distance of a Costco you might want to look there.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by DenMc View Post
    I'm sorry I don't have my hearing test results to post my audiologist wouldn't give me a copy.
    Don't take no for an answer when it comes to getting a copy of your audiogram/medical records.
    Click >>Hidden Content << when your post count=10+ or Use Search for "self programming links"
    My Hidden Content , My Wife's Hidden Content

4. Default

I was under the impression that your audiogram is part of your medical record & providers were required to provide you with a copy if requested.
    L 50...50.....60.....60......65........55
    R 50...50......60.....60......70.......55

Thank you for your replies,

I apologize .... I failed to mention that my hearing loss is due to my working career as a finish carpenter environmental conditions and therefore I was covered for my HA cost by my provincial Workers' Compensation Board.... and Costco (here) is not approved for cost recovery from Workers' Compensation Board.

I thought that I had rights to my audiogram, I will call the office of where I will no further be treated and ask for a copy to be ready for my pick up.
    However, I will be getting a more up to date test in 4 days... good to have for comparison I guess.

DenMc

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by DenMc View Post
    Thank you for your replies,

I apologize .... I failed to mention that my hearing loss is due to my working career as a finish carpenter environmental conditions and therefore I was covered for my HA cost by my provincial Workers' Compensation Board.... and Costco (here) is not approved for cost recovery from Workers' Compensation Board.

I thought that I had rights to my audiogram, I will call the office of where I will no further be treated and ask for a copy to be ready for my pick up.
    However, I will be getting a more up to date test in 4 days... good to have for comparison I guess.

DenMc
    Some ppl just don't like Phonak HAs. Maybe you are one of them.

You may need to get more creative about obtaining your audiogram from an unwilling audi. You could show up at closing time and say you are not leaving without it
    Click >>Hidden Content << when your post count=10+ or Use Search for "self programming links"
    My Hidden Content , My Wife's Hidden Content

OK... I called and the audiogram will be ready for pick up this afternoon.

Thx
    DenMc

Without seeing your audiogram, it's hard to have a good idea, but since you said that your stopped using the HAs that you had from 6 years ago, I'm guessing that perhaps your hearing loss is probably moderate and probably mostly in the high ends, with no loss or only mild loss in the lows and mids. That's probably how you've been able to get by without wearing the HAs so far. But again it's just a guess. Were you fitted with an open dome? If yes, then this probably confirms my guess.

Your issue with tinny sounds and hard to correct background noise is typical with wearers of open domes. The big vents in the open dome will let the amplification of the lows (if any even) escape, resulting in tinnier sound. Don't know if you have streaming or not, but streaming from a device will also sound tinny because the lows also escape and there's no natural low to make up for it.

It will also let all the background noise in naturally so it's usually harder to cut out background noise when you're fitted with open domes.

I'm not defending your audi, I think you should dump him for not even give you your audiogram upon request. But if you're fitted with open domes, those issues are harder to fix with open domes, that's all.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

KHz 0.25...0.5...0.75...1.0...1.5...2.0...3.0...4.0... 6.0...8.0

Left ...10...10....10.....30.....70....75....80....95.. ..90....80
    Right .25...30....40.....55.....75....85....90....90...1 00...100

I now have my audiogram... but I do not understand how to correctly read it plus the copy does not show any colors on the graph lines...is that a problem?

Yes, I have always used open domes.

Yes, mild to moderate loss with high frequencies.

I am by no means in desperate need of hearing assistance, is why I am able to get by without them, But, to appease my wife I do wear my old ones occasionally.
    And now I have an opportunity to try new and improved ones to see if I notice what I've been missing.

Can someone please help me decipher my test results from June 5th 2017

Hearing 1.jpgHearing 2.jpg

Thank you
    DenMc

The Hearing 2.jpg file is your audiogram. The Hearing 1.jpg file is your word recognition score and other basic measurements. You probably already know that your left hearing is worse than your right hearing. You really should be wearing hearing aids, at a minimum on your left year, but your right ear can definitely use the help, too.

There are ways to address your hearing issues that you're complaining about. Open domes may seem like a logical fitting for your hearing loss, but if you have issues with and want to address the background noise problem more effectively, you may want to give up the open domes and use closed domes that come with one or two smaller vents. This is a compromise to give you some venting to minimize occlusion, but not so much as to let all the noise through and not be able to control it. It'll also help make the sound not as tinny as it'll contain more lows and mids from escaping through the vents. Your new audi can also give you a little more boost on the low end and mid area to balance out and make the sound not as tinny.

I suspect that your previous audi is a bit more passive (or lazy?) and didn't want to deviate too much from the prescribed solution, even at the expense of you not liking the prescribed solution. Hopefully your new audi will be willing to work with you more to get it to your liking. And maybe you'll also like the Signia sound better than the Phonak sound as well.

Disclaimer: I'm not a HA professional. Just an HA wearer like you. So take my opinion for what's it worth.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

KHz 0.25...0.5...0.75...1.0...1.5...2.0...3.0...4.0... 6.0...8.0

Left ...10...10....10.....30.....70....75....80....95.. ..90....80
    Right .25...30....40.....55.....75....85....90....90...1 00...100