Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best hearing aids for restaurant setting?

1. Default Best hearing aids for restaurant setting?

So you have heard it many times, lots of people talking, can't hear person in front of you.

I have been checking all the latest hearing aids and speech in noise features etc. The Oticon OPN on paper seems to be the one that stands out.

I would like to hear opinions from people who have tried the latest and best hearing aids, also from Audiologists who have had feedback on what seems to be the better hearing aids for noise, I know Phonak and Gn Resound also have some great hearing aids.

Best HAs for restaurant setting is VERY subjective. It depends on so many things that you cannot just make a generalization. An HA that works for somebody with a certain hearing loss may not work for somebody else, even with the same hearing loss. There are just way too many variables, like:

1. Your type of hearing loss (ski slope, flat, reverse ski slope, cookie bite?).
    2. Your actual hearing loss (mild, moderate, severe, profound).
    3. What do you expect from noise reduction (you want to hear nothing but the person in front, or you do want to hear everything but also hear the person talking well)?
    4. What type of fitting you have (custom molds, open dome, close domes with small vent, power dome)?
    5. The HA brand and model and their associated hearing paradigm/strategy.
    6. The type of HA (IIC, CIC, RITE, BTE).
    7. The cost/value proposition of the HA brand/model.

You mentioned the OPN but I don't think it's the solution for everyone, even though I wear the OPN myself. The best HAs for restaurant is the whichever one that works in that environment for that wearer and meets their expectations for the cost/value proposition that it brings.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

KHz 0.25...0.5...0.75...1.0...1.5...2.0...3.0...4.0... 6.0...8.0

Left ...10...10....10.....30.....70....75....80....95.. ..90....80
    Right .25...30....40.....55.....75....85....90....90...1 00...100

Quote Originally Posted by lahingoso View Post
    So you have heard it many times, lots of people talking, can't hear person in front of you.

I have been checking all the latest hearing aids and speech in noise features etc. The Oticon OPN on paper seems to be the one that stands out.

I would like to hear opinions from people who have tried the latest and best hearing aids, also from Audiologists who have had feedback on what seems to be the better hearing aids for noise, I know Phonak and Gn Resound also have some great hearing aids.
    It's only going to be as good as the person programming it: the straight off the shelf speech in noise or restaurant program will need to be tweeked to work well in the restaurant setting.
    Oticon Agil Pro w/streamer

-250 500 1000 1500 2000 3000 4000 6000 8000
    L 10--5----10----30---50----70----85---80---80
    R 5--10----20----35---45----85----85--100--100

SP Disc ------------- SRT
    L 88% @55db ------- L-10
    R 90% @55db------- R-25

Quote Originally Posted by seb View Post
    It's only going to be as good as the person programming it: the straight off the shelf speech in noise or restaurant program will need to be tweeked to work well in the restaurant setting.
    I wholeheartedly agree! Any of the top aids can be made to work quite well as long as you don't expect miracles. It really is the programming that makes all the difference. If you find a fitter or audiologist you trust then see what they suggest. They will also perform better with the aids with which they have the most experience.
    Carol

Linx 961>Linx2 961> Phonak Audeo V90 312T L&R
    Hz 250 500 1K 2K 3K 4K 5K 6K 8K
    L 25 25 15 35 40 40 60 60 55
    R 25 25 15 30 40 35 35 55 50
    Speech
    L 83% 40dB, 100% 50dB
    R 80% 40dB, 97% 50dB

Best HA for actually hearing voices most acutely in Restaurant clatter and speech noise? Probably the Resound 3D in their dedicated Restaurant setting. (And FWIW Phonak/Unitron product too.)

Will you enjoy this experience or find it very natural - possibly not.

So on balance it depends whether you're willing to put up with more aggressive filtering/dynamic directional effects in this environment or you just want more normal 'passive' sounding aids and let your brain do the filtering. (Oticon/Widex)
    'He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life.'
    Link to my entry in the Hidden Content section.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content - Maintenance Stuff
    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Psocoptera View Post
    I wholeheartedly agree! Any of the top aids can be made to work quite well as long as you don't expect miracles. It really is the programming that makes all the difference. If you find a fitter or audiologist you trust then see what they suggest. They will also perform better with the aids with which they have the most experience.
    Absolutely! I have Oticon Agil Pros with a "this is what the computer has" speech in noise program, It is okay but not great. I also have a pair of Resound Vivids that were programmed by a HIS who really knew what she was doing and put in the pre programmed speech in noise and then went in a tweeked it. The difference is with the Oticons you still hear the background noise, just not as loud, with the Vivids, the background noise is gone and all you hear is the table your at and maybe the people at the next table.
    Oticon Agil Pro w/streamer

-250 500 1000 1500 2000 3000 4000 6000 8000
    L 10--5----10----30---50----70----85---80---80
    R 5--10----20----35---45----85----85--100--100

SP Disc ------------- SRT
    L 88% @55db ------- L-10
    R 90% @55db------- R-25

My Audi and I have worked with Restaurant Setting in my two recent Starkey series. In the ZSeries I was getting a lot of background all way to kitchen in hearing dishes, etc and figured out we had the Vol too high at startup so I would fine tune the Vol down would cut out the background to the point of just hearing people at my table. So its a fine line in vol .

Now with my Muse aids, we set the starting vol lower and allows me to increase a little to get the correct mix. With the Muse I do have better acuity as sometimes I am startled to find I an actually hearing a conversation a couple of tables away even without restaurant setting on.

But all said restaurants are a huge challenge in any case, even for people like my wife with good hearing.
    Bob

Primary: Starkey Muse i2400 ITE Surflink Model 300
    Backup: Starkey ZSeries i110 ITEs Surflink Model 300
    Frequency Left Right
    250 - 60
    500 -65-60
    1000 - 65-65
    2000 - 80-80
    3000 - 95 -90
    4000 - 110-110
    8000 - 110-110
    Maryland CNC Left 30 Right 32

8. Default

Thanks for all the replies everyone, very interesting to read.

My own 2-cents' worth: My older Agil Pro ITE aids do better in "restaurant" setting than the new Oticon Opn miniRITEs. The reason is not only due to the style of aid (one has mic/receiver in the ear cup for better, more natural amplification of direction), but also due to program. I am going in to see my aud-guy about the restaurant setting on my Opn aids, cuz even tho they have the mic unit on top of the ear, and receiver IN the ear, there is currently just WAY WAY too much competition from ambient noise to actually distinguish speech even from a person facing me.

Totally agree that the programming and skill of audiologist is critical here. And o'course, try to avoid environments with lots of hard, reflective surfaces, which add reverb to the noise. Unfortunately, those include about a bazillion places in addition to restaurants.
    HAs from 1985>Starkey>Phonak>Epoq>AGXO ITE>Oticon Alta Pro ITE>Oticon Opn miniRITE

KHz 0.25...0.5...1.0...2.0...3.0...4.0....6.0...8.0

Left ..65....80....80....65.....65....60....65....90
    Right 65....80....80....75.....75....70....65....90

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Um bongo View Post
    Best HA for actually hearing voices most acutely in Restaurant clatter and speech noise? Probably the Resound 3D in their dedicated Restaurant setting. (And FWIW Phonak/Unitron product too.)

Will you enjoy this experience or find it very natural - possibly not.

So on balance it depends whether you're willing to put up with more aggressive filtering/dynamic directional effects in this environment or you just want more normal 'passive' sounding aids and let your brain do the filtering. (Oticon/Widex)
    Does the Phonak mention include Costco Phonak Brio 2?
    Evan
    Oticon Alta Pro ITC
    WRS R 96@80
    WRS L 92@80

kHz 0.25 0.5 1 1.5 2 3 4 6 8
    Right 60 55 55 65 70 65 65 70 60
    Left 50 45 60 65 65 65 65 70 75