Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Phonak Audeo Direct

Phonak has booked a big launch date around the first week in Sept, this could be what we're going to be looking at. The march towards iOS controlled devices seems fairly inevitable at this point.

Nothing from the fanboy POV, but the stability, integration and accessibility of a 'fixed' iOS and hardware using the BLE protocol is going to make a huge difference to the product cycle drivers towards iOS. It's going to become the default standard as Mr Jobs mantra of keeping both ends of the mechanism under his hat is likely to appeal to the HA manufacturers who like their programming to be out of sight of unlicensed developers.
    'He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life.'
    Link to my entry in the Hidden Content section.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content - Maintenance Stuff
    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

I know this is the direction things are moving, but after a brief trial of my Smart Connect (Rexton version of EasyTek) I don't quite get why the intermediate device is such a big deal. It seems like it has two big advantages: 1) It provides a way to do truly hands free phone calls that direct streaming to hearing aids doesn't and 2)It provides a lot more battery capacity. Actually a pretty big third advantage. This stuff eventually breaks. If you use an intermediate device, you just send it back. If it's all in the hearing aids, they have to go back for bluetooth issues and more traditional hearing aid problems. I know this ship has sailed, but seems like developing really solid intermediate devices would be a big plus. Because of what seems like an obsession with direct streaming, that will never happen.
    .25 .5 1 1.5 2 3.0 4.0 6.0 8.0

15 15 20 30 30 55 75 90 NR ​KS7
    10 10 20 15 25 35 65 85 95 WRS 100/92@45/40

Quote Originally Posted by MDB View Post
    I know this is the direction things are moving, but after a brief trial of my Smart Connect (Rexton version of EasyTek) I don't quite get why the intermediate device is such a big deal. It seems like it has two big advantages: 1) It provides a way to do truly hands free phone calls that direct streaming to hearing aids doesn't and 2)It provides a lot more battery capacity. Actually a pretty big third advantage. This stuff eventually breaks. If you use an intermediate device, you just send it back. If it's all in the hearing aids, they have to go back for bluetooth issues and more traditional hearing aid problems. I know this ship has sailed, but seems like developing really solid intermediate devices would be a big plus. Because of what seems like an obsession with direct streaming, that will never happen.
    I think it falls down on having 'another link in the chain' that you have to re-charge is seen by many consumers as an unnecessary complication. I don't disagree though, having stuff like this built into 'intelligent' clothing would make the final devices much smaller, but it doesn't seem the way the market is headed.
    'He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life.'
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Psocoptera View Post
    1. I don't think anyone else would have bothered if Apple did not do it first.

2. Every hearing impaired person getting a new phone within 6-12 months is exceedingly optimistic. Phonak are wanting backwards compatibility. So when all those old phones wear out they will get what they want.
    1. I think it was more that while everyone else was involved in the inevitable long process of negotiation that comes with setting standards, Apple- coming with its own gravity- were big enough to just do it.

2. Bluetooth 5 brings bandwidth and range benefits. It may be that a Bluetooth 5 solution is better than what Apple can offer now. If so, Apple may have to adapt or adopt. That would mean a new phone to go with your new hearing aids whichever platform you choose.

I'm a long term Phonak user who is currently testing the GN Resound Linx3D hearing aids with direct to iPhone integration. I will say that the direct iPhone integration is a game changer and I will probably buy these hearing aids because Phonak is late to the market. It's hard to describe the difference between direct to iPhone vs. using an intermediate device until you have tried it for a few weeks. The Compilot was a nuisance. It was just something else to charge and carry around. I was always fumbling to put it on and connect it whenever a call came in. Now, the iPhone just rings right to my ears. It's always available and it's fast and reliable for phone calls, music and video. And btw...its not just being able to transmit to the hearing aids. It's the deep iOS integration (i.e. The integration is built right into iOS's Accessibility system) and an app that is fast and full of features to allow you to tweak and customize programs.

Jordan
    Audiogram
    Left ………Hertz ……Right
    25……………250…………45
    35……………500…………55
    50……………750…………NA
    60…………1000…………50
    60…………2000…………55
    65…………4000…………60
    90…………6000…………70
    90…………8000…………90

Quote Originally Posted by JordanK View Post
    I'm a long term Phonak user who is currently testing the GN Resound Linx3D hearing aids with direct to iPhone integration. I will say that the direct iPhone integration is a game changer and I will probably buy these hearing aids because Phonak is late to the market. It's hard to describe the difference between direct to iPhone vs. using an intermediate device until you have tried it for a few weeks. The Compilot was a nuisance. It was just something else to charge and carry around. I was always fumbling to put it on and connect it whenever a call came in. Now, the iPhone just rings right to my ears. It's always available and it's fast and reliable for phone calls, music and video. And btw...its not just being able to transmit to the hearing aids. It's the deep iOS integration (i.e. The integration is built right into iOS's Accessibility system) and an app that is fast and full of features to allow you to tweak and customize programs.

Jordan
    There's a client at one of my branches who identifies himself as iGrandfather - he's a senior Proff at a local University. He's just done the comparison between the Apps at my request and has ordered the Lynx 3D - we're fitting them next Thursday. This is a bit of a paradigm shift as the product is now being judged more on the App SW than the intangible claims within the hardware.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Um bongo View Post
    There's a client at one of my branches who identifies himself as iGrandfather - he's a senior Proff at a local University. He's just done the comparison between the Apps at my request and has ordered the Lynx 3D - we're fitting them next Thursday. This is a bit of a paradigm shift as the product is now being judged more on the App SW than the intangible claims within the hardware.
    The Linx3D app is very well thought out and it is the first app that I am aware of that lets you make your own changes (in a simplified way) and then save these changes as a new program. The thing to point out is that the app is fast and the hearing aids respond to any change in the app instantly. So yes...I agree that it's the whole software and iOS integration platform that differentiates the product. Plus...like anything from Apple, it just works.

Jordan
    Audiogram
    Left ………Hertz ……Right
    25……………250…………45
    35……………500…………55
    50……………750…………NA
    60…………1000…………50
    60…………2000…………55
    65…………4000…………60
    90…………6000…………70
    90…………8000…………90

Quote Originally Posted by Um bongo View Post
    Phonak has booked a big launch date around the first week in Sept, this could be what we're going to be looking at. The march towards iOS controlled devices seems fairly inevitable at this point.

Nothing from the fanboy POV, but the stability, integration and accessibility of a 'fixed' iOS and hardware using the BLE protocol is going to make a huge difference to the product cycle drivers towards iOS. It's going to become the default standard as Mr Jobs mantra of keeping both ends of the mechanism under his hat is likely to appeal to the HA manufacturers who like their programming to be out of sight of unlicensed developers.
    Phonak's product launches will become this month。
    Hz 250 500 750 100 1500 2000 3000 4000 6000
    Left 55 60 75 75 75 75 70 70 70
    Right 70 70 70 70 80 85 105 105

Quote Originally Posted by menglxs View Post
    Phonak's product launches will become this month。
    Yes, very probably which is why we'll see the regional roll-outs at the beginning of September - Logistically it makes more sense, it's not just dropping a flag and everybody starts to dance - they actually have to get bodies around the World to explain what is going on and perhaps give a bit of training too?
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by d'Wooluf View Post
    1. I think it was more that while everyone else was involved in the inevitable long process of negotiation that comes with setting standards, Apple- coming with its own gravity- were big enough to just do it.

2. Bluetooth 5 brings bandwidth and range benefits. It may be that a Bluetooth 5 solution is better than what Apple can offer now. If so, Apple may have to adapt or adopt. That would mean a new phone to go with your new hearing aids whichever platform you choose.
    Actually Apple are heavily involved in setting those Bluetooth standards for hearing aids. They have been instrumental in driving this. If you search up there was a whole thread about it. They are also early adopters of new technology not followers. I don't think anything would have changed with HA connectivity if it were not for their efforts. All those clunky old around the neck solutions would be going on with only minor incremental changes and no one would have bothered to connect directly to any phone.
    Carol

Linx 961>Linx2 961> Phonak Audeo V90 312T L&R
    Hz 250 500 1K 2K 3K 4K 5K 6K 8K
    L 25 25 15 35 40 40 60 60 55
    R 25 25 15 30 40 35 35 55 50
    Speech
    L 83% 40dB, 100% 50dB
    R 80% 40dB, 97% 50dB