Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OPN 1 vs. Linx2 9 for Music, concerts, Ménière's

Blog Entries

In your situation, I would think that entry level aids would work as well as premium. Link36 5 is 2695 at Buyhear. May not be your choice but it is an option.
    Hidden Content
    KS6's w. Phone Clip +

Visit my blog here for post that I think valuable -- especially new members.

There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. -- William Shakespeare

2. Default

I realize the IoT and IFTTT is way ahead of its time as far as market acceptance. What may seem like a gizmo today will soon be considered a deal breaker, the difference is people have yet to upgrade their other tech at home. Once they do, the iot will be an expected feature on all electronics.

For me, it's as much a safety issue as anything else. What good is a multi-camera setup, motion detection, smart home security system, and video doorbell if I'm not using them because I can't hear them? The answer is none. Those thirty extra seconds between being notified of a potential intruder vs. hearing them attempt to make entry could be the difference between being a victim and being a survivor.

Secondly, I can't begin to count how many times I have transferred to my chair from my bed, rushed all the way to my front door or garage only to find out a package was left or a business card was left, or worse, the power company had come to let me know of an outage but because I didn't hear them, to me I just lost power.

To the average person, these are menial, if not annoying, tasks. To me, they may as well be climbing Everest. Getting to the restroom a mere 10 steps away is an ordeal, let alone having to try to get somewhere quick enough not to miss a package delivery or my pharmacy delivery person. It can take me sometimes longer than 5 minutes to get there, especially if I'm having a bad day.

The Opn is the only aid with IFTTT functionality currently, but with how fast this sector is growing, I'm certain this is just the tip of the iceberg of the story of How the Hearing Industry Changed. Just because I use a wheelchair or hearing aids doesn't mean I deserve a product lacking features which is unaffordable for pretty much anyone. The mobility industry is even worse than the hearing industry, but I look forward to seeing how the future of both industries is changed.

Great sales pitch..

Keep in mind that IFTT integration is done entirely through a phone app and isn't dependent upon the actual hearing aids at all. Right now, Oticon is the only company that has provided hooks to functions in their app to IFTT but there's no reason at all that other manufacturers couldn't easily add this functionality just by changing their phone apps.
    125 250 750 1K 1.5K 2K 3k 4K 6K 8K
    R 20 40 50 55 60 55 60 70 80 75
    L 10 15 15 25 25 15 20 35 40 45

Quote Originally Posted by snevetsm View Post
    Keep in mind that IFTT integration is done entirely through a phone app and isn't dependent upon the actual hearing aids at all. Right now, Oticon is the only company that has provided hooks to functions in their app to IFTT but there's no reason at all that other manufacturers couldn't easily add this functionality just by changing their phone apps.
    It may seem like it but I'm not so sure. Do you know that for a fact from some Oticon literature, or are you just guessing?

The reason I'm a little doubtful is because Oticon gave some use model examples for IFTTT like turning on the TV and sound system by giving the OPN voice commands through its microphones. This implies a 2-way communication so that's why without some kind of IFTTT inside the HA, I'm not sure how the HA has the smart to initiate the commands over to the phone.

If it's just one way communication from the phone app to the HA then I can see how you don't need the IFTTT smart in the HA and it only has to be in the phone app.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

KHz 0.25...0.5...0.75...1.0...1.5...2.0...3.0...4.0... 6.0...8.0

Left ...10...10....10.....30.....70....75....80....95.. ..90....80
    Right .25...30....40.....55.....75....85....90....90...1 00...100

6. Default

I already use IFTTT and IoT for many applications so while the idea is nice that it’s as easy as “changing an app” I’m not going to hold my breath for the simple fact everything in this industry seems to be slow moving.

As for entry-level, I’m sure they would operate sufficiently, but I am the type of person who is always modifying and improving everything in my life. Whether that’s cars, my wheelchair, my other hobbies... I’ve never viewed anything as simply an appliance. If I can get better sound quality, and functions which I will undoubtedly use that solve some major quality of life issue for me, that’s what I’ll do. I understand my situation isn’t usual as I’m not able bodied, so after researching and sleeping on it, I decided my priorities are functionality as it relates to being bedridden, and sound quality were the two most important features for me. My only access to the world is through my phone as I am isolated from people at least 23 hours a day. I stopped trying to make phone calls about two years ago, and I can’t hear FaceTime either. This is a huge deal for me whereas I can see may not be remotely on an average person’s radar. Being isolated in a dark room for five years sucks. Being isolated in a dark room and unable to communicate for years is simply hell on earth. At least once my aids get here, I’ll be able to talk to people again!

I did buy a set of OPN which I’ll have this week and get started with them. If I hate them, I’ll sell them without issue and buy something else.

Thanks again everyone for your time and thoughtful replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Volusiano View Post
    Do you know that for a fact from some Oticon literature, or are you just guessing?
    It doesn't make any sense to do the processing in the hearing aid. In any event, the IFTT features require connections to the internet and the hearing aids can't do that.

Many, many devices that have apps have added IFTT hooks over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Volusiano View Post
    The reason I'm a little doubtful is because Oticon gave some use model examples for IFTTT like turning on the TV and sound system by giving the OPN voice commands through its microphones. This implies a 2-way communication so that's why without some kind of IFTTT inside the HA, I'm not sure how the HA has the smart to initiate the commands over to the phone.
    That might be correct - it's possible that only the Oticon aids are set up to transmit voice commands to the phone from the hearing aid mics. The IFTT functionality, though, requires some communication with IFTT servers and that would be done via the phone.

There may very well be differences among hearing aids in terms of what they could do, but I really don't think there's much reason why any hearing aid that can be controlled by an app couldn't have at least some IFTT function.
    125 250 750 1K 1.5K 2K 3k 4K 6K 8K
    R 20 40 50 55 60 55 60 70 80 75
    L 10 15 15 25 25 15 20 35 40 45

Yes, I agree that the majority of the IFTTT functionality is on the phone app and it wouldn't be efficient or sensible to do any of it on the HA. But I'm just saying that I don't really know if you can take an older HA from 5 years ago and make it IFTTT compatible if what you were saying were true that 100% of everything IFTTT is all done on the phone app.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

KHz 0.25...0.5...0.75...1.0...1.5...2.0...3.0...4.0... 6.0...8.0

Left ...10...10....10.....30.....70....75....80....95.. ..90....80
    Right .25...30....40.....55.....75....85....90....90...1 00...100

9. Default

Ignore all the "brain hearing stuff". It's marketting. It relates to Oticon's approach of considering how the auditory system works and trying to use that to inform their R&D. It 100% does not mean that they leave anything up to your brain that other manufacturers don't. You don't have to "train your brain" to use the Opn any more than you do other hearing aids. The Opn just does directionality a bit differently to try to give you back a more natural-seeming ability to pick out speech in noise.