Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Positive news - Research from Columbia University

Default Positive news - Research from Columbia University

If this turns into reality, then it's a massive breakthrough. Researcher's have been available to develop a mechanism that can determine what voice a listener is concentrating on, and then boost the amplification of that voice:

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20...o-reality.aspx

Blog Entries

Looks like one of those things that will be hard to move from the laboratory. A reasonably size/powered device to read brainwaves isn't an insignificant transition.
    Hidden Content
    KS6's w. Phone Clip +

Visit my blog here for post that I think valuable -- especially new members.

There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. -- William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by KenP View Post
    Looks like one of those things that will be hard to move from the laboratory. A reasonably size/powered device to read brainwaves isn't an insignificant transition.
    Absolutely agree. It sounds like something out of Star Trek.

4. Default

There is a much easier way to achieve this: Wear intelligent glasses. Those can, for sure, track who you are looking at, and adjust the hearing aid to focus on that person. The only drawback of this approach is that you have to look at that person - but you don't need to turn your head there.
    right 15 19 23 25 42 44 46 47 49 50
    Hz 0.125 0.25 0.5 1 2 3 4 6 8 10
    left 14 14 26 30 42 45 50 52 52 65

Level of Discomfort right: 80 - 85 dB, left: 85 - 90 dB

Quote Originally Posted by Musician_72 View Post
    There is a much easier way to achieve this: Wear intelligent glasses. Those can, for sure, track who you are looking at, and adjust the hearing aid to focus on that person. The only drawback of this approach is that you have to look at that person - but you don't need to turn your head there.
    How about intelligent glasses which contain all of the HA components except for a wireless separate receiver in each ear. Might need a new combined hearing and optical clinic to dispense them though.
    Carol

Linx 961>Linx2 961> Phonak Audeo V90 312T L&R
    Hz 250 500 1K 2K 3K 4K 5K 6K 8K
    L 25 25 15 35 40 40 60 60 55
    R 25 25 15 30 40 35 35 55 50
    Speech
    L 83% 40dB, 100% 50dB
    R 80% 40dB, 97% 50dB

Blog Entries

I remember seeing them sold when I was in high school -- lot of years ago. I think there might be two brands out there. The drawback might be with repairs. And the frames are really substantial. Not much of a fashion statement.
    Hidden Content
    KS6's w. Phone Clip +

There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. -- William Shakespeare

LOL!!! I'd never heard of intelligent glasses! But short of walking around with a giant bucket on my head, I'd sure LOVE to have aids that separate out human speech from other ambient sounds. It boggles my mind that as of 2017, we only have a few rudimentary tools to help us hear better in noisy places: 1.) directional mics, 2.) noise management set to AGGRESSIVE as a pitbull 3.) frequency channels to tinker with (maybe reduce lows, keep highs) Thassall folks!
    HAs from 1985>Starkey>Phonak>Epoq>AGXO ITE>Oticon Alta Pro ITE>Oticon Opn miniRITE

KHz 0.25...0.5...1.0...2.0...3.0...4.0....6.0...8.0

Left ..65....80....80....65.....65....60....65....90
    Right 65....80....80....75.....75....70....65....90

Blog Entries

Just goes to show ya that the brain is still superior to a CPU/GPU.
    Hidden Content
    KS6's w. Phone Clip +

University researchers publish or perish.. In order to keep the gravy train flowing. Very little ever comes to the real world from these 'discoveries'.

Blog Entries

There may have been more than a few real world improvements. Doctors in these parts gave up bleeding patients quite a while back. You're just confusing real research with the red wine and coffee reporting ones.
    Hidden Content
    KS6's w. Phone Clip +