Thread: Pure primax 5px or Phonak Audeo B

1. Default Pure primax 5px or Phonak Audeo B

I will begin tomorrow testing Signia Pure primax 5px and tested last week Phonak Audeo B Advanced (third teir 1-4). I would welcome opinions from others on quality of both. I am mostly deaf in one ear (have been for about 27 years) with fair but below average hearing in other ear (slight drop off in high frequencies age/family trait related). Retired IT guy, 66 year old musician (hobby and part time job), acoustic and electric guitar in low volume playing group. I recently tested the Phonak Audeo B - cross system with aid in good ear and transmitter in bad ear. Both systems were/will be setup by pro audiologist based on my desire to increase clarity, fidelity and volume in my good ear with acoustic guitar sound being priority over speech - transmitter set to project similar sound on my bad side and my preference for very small amount of comprehension, echo cancel or need to block large room background sounds from hearing focal point. So far pleased with the Phonak but have the option of the Signia Pure Primax at almost same cost. With $500 insurance coverage both systems will cost be $2750 from my pocket. Audiologist, to best of my judgement, is highly professional and experienced, 3 yr warranty and services are the same. I understand battery life is better with Signia system. Priority, 1. increased clarity/fidelity/volume of my acoustic instruments 2. increased volume and clarity of one on one conversation 3. other general audio improvements with hearing aid. Based on your exp. with, research, conversation with other users - given good programming service from pro. audiologist - which brand do you feel would be the better choice for my first 2-4 years in terms of reliability and quality or workmanship? Thank you
    Last edited by GatsbyScot; 08-07-2017 at 09:35 PM.

Both are decent aids and neither are known for being great with music. I think it largely depends in how they're set up and which you like best. Let us know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by GatsbyScot View Post
    I will begin tomorrow testing Signia Pure primax 5px and tested last week Phonak Audeo B Advanced (third teir 1-4). I would welcome opinions from others on quality of both. I am mostly deaf in one ear (have been for about 27 years) with fair but below average hearing in other ear (slight drop off in high frequencies age/family trait related). Retired IT guy, 66 year old musician (hobby and part time job), acoustic and electric guitar in low volume playing group. I recently tested the Phonak Audeo B - cross system with aid in good ear and transmitter in bad ear. Both systems were/will be setup by pro audiologist based on my desire to increase clarity, fidelity and volume in my good ear with acoustic guitar sound being priority over speech - transmitter set to project similar sound on my bad side and my preference for very small amount of comprehension, echo cancel or need to block large room background sounds from hearing focal point. So far pleased with the Phonak but have the option of the Signia Pure Primax at almost same cost. With $500 insurance coverage both systems will cost be $2750 from my pocket. Audiologist, to best of my judgement, is highly professional and experienced, 3 yr warranty and services are the same. I understand battery life is better with Signia system. Priority, 1. increased clarity/fidelity/volume of my acoustic instruments 2. increased volume and clarity of one on one conversation 3. other general audio improvements with hearing aid. Based on your exp. with, research, conversation with other users - given good programming service from pro. audiologist - which brand do you feel would be the better choice for my first 2-4 years in terms of reliability and quality or workmanship? Thank you
    .25 .5 1 1.5 2 3.0 4.0 6.0 8.0

15 15 20 30 30 55 75 90 NR ​KS7
    10 10 20 15 25 35 65 85 95 WRS 100/92@45/40

Whichever sounds the best to you. Forget about battery life batteries are dirt cheap.

This is a Ford of Chevy question.

4. Default

"Both are decent aids and neither are known for being great with music." I think it largely depends in how they're set up and which you like best. Let us know how it goes.
    Thank you all - makes this process much easier to speak with others who have exp. Good comment "Both are decent aids and neither are known for being great with music." and made me think. For me I playing music, acoustic guitar/vocal is my passion and I suspect will be for the next 3-4 years maybe longer. Is there a brand and model anyone can suggest that prioritizes hearing live music (not listening to CDs prof. processed) but that nice actual sound of a fine acoustic guitar or a nice telecaster through a small tube amp, over the typical speech communication, even at a higher price that the Phonak or Signia brand or models? Thx

Ones that have a reputation for being better with music are Bernafon, Widex, Oticon and I would think Sonic. This is because of increased dynamic range.I think it largely depends on how well they are set up by the audiologist. You mention that the Phonaks sound pretty good. Perhaps you play softly enough that it's not an issue. I play at classical guitar (I'm definitely not a musician) but I much prefer not hearing aids when I'm playing. My suspicion for pure music enjoyment, assuming you need amplification to hear your guitar, you'd be happier with a good pickup and a small amp rather than hearing aids. Basically it comes down to finding what works for you. Perfection is not out there.

Quote Originally Posted by GatsbyScot View Post
    "Both are decent aids and neither are known for being great with music." I think it largely depends in how they're set up and which you like best. Let us know how it goes.
    Thank you all - makes this process much easier to speak with others who have exp. Good comment "Both are decent aids and neither are known for being great with music." and made me think. For me I playing music, acoustic guitar/vocal is my passion and I suspect will be for the next 3-4 years maybe longer. Is there a brand and model anyone can suggest that prioritizes hearing live music (not listening to CDs prof. processed) but that nice actual sound of a fine acoustic guitar or a nice telecaster through a small tube amp, over the typical speech communication, even at a higher price that the Phonak or Signia brand or models? Thx
    .25 .5 1 1.5 2 3.0 4.0 6.0 8.0

15 15 20 30 30 55 75 90 NR ​KS7
    10 10 20 15 25 35 65 85 95 WRS 100/92@45/40