Thread: Phonak Audeo B or Signia Pure primax 5px

1. Default Phonak Audeo B or Signia Pure primax 5px

I will begin tomorrow testing Signia Pure primax 5px and tested last week Phonak Audeo B Advanced 3rd level 1-4). I would welcome opinions from others on quality of both. I am mostly deaf in one ear (have been for about 27 years) with fair but below average hearing in other ear (slight drop off in high frequencies age/family trait related). Retired IT guy, 66 year old musician (hobby and part time job), acoustic and electric guitar in low volume playing group. I recently tested the Phonak Audeo B - cross system with aid in good ear and transmitter in bad ear. Both systems were/will be setup by pro audiologist based on my desire to increase clarity, fidelity and volume in my good ear with acoustic guitar sound being priority over speech - transmitter set to project similar sound on my bad side and my preference for very small amount of comprehension, echo cancel or need to block large room background sounds from hearing focal point. So far pleased with the Phonak but have the option of the Signia Pure Primax at almost same cost. With $500 insurance coverage both systems will cost be $2750 from my pocket. Audiologist, to best of my judgement, is highly professional and experienced, 3 yr warranty and services are the same. I understand battery life is better with Signia system. Priority, 1. increased clarity/fidelity/volume of my acoustic instruments 2. increased volume and clarity of one on one conversation 3. other general audio improvements with hearing aid. Based on your exp. with, research, conversation with other users - given good programming service from pro. audiologist - which brand do you feel would be the better choice for my first 2-4 years in terms of reliability and quality or workmanship? Thank you
    Last edited by GatsbyScot; 08-07-2017 at 09:32 PM.

How important is talking on a mobile phone, listening to music on your phone, watching TV, etc? I've tested both and Signia's Bluetooth accessories for connecting to your phone, computer, TV are not the best. This may be important if you want to record or listen to music via your hearing aids.

With Phonak, you also have to make sure the audiologist sets up a music program with Soundrecover and any compression or noise reduction turned off to give you a clean sound. You may also want the audiologist to boost the bass frequencies to give you a fuller sound for music. Many of the default settings have been optimized for speech clarity vs music.

I prefer Phonak but you need to test both. Don't be afraid to try other brands too.

Jordan
    Audiogram
    Left ………Hertz ……Right
    25……………250…………45
    35……………500…………55
    50……………750…………NA
    60…………1000…………50
    60…………2000…………55
    65…………4000…………60
    90…………6000…………70
    90…………8000…………90

Curious about your comments on Signia's Bluetooth accessories not being "the best." My take is that bluetooth is inherently glitchy, but curious what you found in your comparisons. My take from talking to hearing aid fitter was that EasyTek had moisture issues if worn underneath clothing and that people often didn't fully seat the neck cable. She also mentioned that the Phonak Compilot 2 worked pretty well, but was kind of big and clunky. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by JordanK View Post
    How important is talking on a mobile phone, listening to music on your phone, watching TV, etc? I've tested both and Signia's Bluetooth accessories for connecting to your phone, computer, TV are not the best. This may be important if you want to record or listen to music via your hearing aids.

With Phonak, you also have to make sure the audiologist sets up a music program with Soundrecover and any compression or noise reduction turned off to give you a clean sound. You may also want the audiologist to boost the bass frequencies to give you a fuller sound for music. Many of the default settings have been optimized for speech clarity vs music.

I prefer Phonak but you need to test both. Don't be afraid to try other brands too.

Jordan
    .25 .5 1 1.5 2 3.0 4.0 6.0 8.0

15 15 20 30 30 55 75 90 NR ​KS7
    10 10 20 15 25 35 65 85 95 WRS 100/92@45/40

Bluetooth accessories for connecting to your phone, computer, TV are not the best.

Silly

Blog Entries

Some of the older versions connect to the device with near field magnetic resonance. I'm not sure it is fair to blame BT completely here. My Phone Clip+ connect using BTLE>BT. It has been rock-solid. I can hit the can during commercial and still be annoyed by them.
    Hidden Content
    KS6's w. Phone Clip +

Visit my blog here for post that I think valuable -- especially new members.

There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. -- William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by MDB View Post
    Curious about your comments on Signia's Bluetooth accessories not being "the best." My take is that bluetooth is inherently glitchy, but curious what you found in your comparisons. My take from talking to hearing aid fitter was that EasyTek had moisture issues if worn underneath clothing and that people often didn't fully seat the neck cable. She also mentioned that the Phonak Compilot 2 worked pretty well, but was kind of big and clunky. Thanks!
    Phonak's Compilot II and Compilot Air are rock solid solutions for talking on your mobile or Skype on the PC/Mac via Bluetooth. Signia's EasyTek is cludgey. Sometimes it doesn't connect and the App integration is very slow and unreliable.

That being said, direct to iPhone on the Linx3D is superb.

Jordan
    Audiogram
    Left ………Hertz ……Right
    25……………250…………45
    35……………500…………55
    50……………750…………NA
    60…………1000…………50
    60…………2000…………55
    65…………4000…………60
    90…………6000…………70
    90…………8000…………90

Thanks. So far my SmartConnect has been rock solid. Will see. I've read lots of complaints about Compilot Air.

Quote Originally Posted by JordanK View Post
    Phonak's Compilot II and Compilot Air are rock solid solutions for talking on your mobile or Skype on the PC/Mac via Bluetooth. Signia's EasyTek is cludgey. Sometimes it doesn't connect and the App integration is very slow and unreliable.

That being said, direct to iPhone on the Linx3D is superb.

Jordan
    .25 .5 1 1.5 2 3.0 4.0 6.0 8.0

15 15 20 30 30 55 75 90 NR ​KS7
    10 10 20 15 25 35 65 85 95 WRS 100/92@45/40

8. Default

I've found the ComPilot II works better than the ComPilot Air II.
    Freq:..25..500.1k.1.5k.2k..3k..4k..6k..8k
    Left:..10..10..10..20..35..60..60..35..25
    Right:.0...7...10..20..30..55..55..30..25