Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sonic Enchant 100 vs Oticon OPN 1

Default Sonic Enchant 100 vs Oticon OPN 1

Hello, what are the differences between Sonic Enchant 100 BTE 105 and Oticon OPN 1 BTE 13 PP (105)?
    How to spot these differences during a trial wearing?

Buyhear.com mentions that they are comparable, the numbers in specifications look very similar, but feature names are completely different.
    From a development point of view, they should have the same processing hardware (it's too costly to perform completely parallel development within one holding). But certain capabilities can be turned off by the manufacturer for marketing purposes.

My granny (with no HA experience) will be trialing Sonic for a week, at the end of the week, she is going to compare it with Oticon (no trial for Oticon, just one fitting session) and decide what fits her best. Knowing the differences will help during the comparison.

125 250 500 1000 2000 4000 8000
    L 40 40 45 45 55 60 65
    R 30 35 35 40 60 65 75

Oticon OPN miniRITE Features
    Sonic Enchant miniRITE Features

Oticon OPN BTE 13 PP Features
    Oticon OPN BTE 13 PP Instructions for use

Sonic Enchant BTE Features
    Sonic Enchant BTE User Guide
    Last edited by Art; 08-08-2017 at 06:40 AM. Reason: added audiogram

Unless she wants to try out different hearing aids, I'd just try sticking with the Sonics. Hearing aids take awhile to get used to, especially in this case where she's going from no hearing aids to very powerful hearing aids. Just encourage her to use them. If she won't wear them or complains and the audiologist can't adjust them to her satisfaction, then consider trialing other aids. Trying to pick the "best" hearing aid is a fruitless endeavor.

Quote Originally Posted by Art View Post
    Hello, what are the differences between Sonic Enchant 100 BTE 105 and Oticon OPN 1 BTE 13 PP (105)?
    How to spot these differences during a trial wearing?

Buyhear.com mentions that they are comparable, the numbers in specifications look very similar, but feature names are completely different.
    From a development point of view, they should have the same processing hardware (it's too costly to perform completely parallel development within one holding). But certain capabilities can be turned off by the manufacturer for marketing purposes.

My granny (with no HA experience) will be trialing Sonic for a week, at the end of the week, she is going to compare it with Oticon (no trial for Oticon, just one fitting session) and decide what fits her best. Knowing the differences will help during the comparison.

Oticon OPN miniRITE Features
    Sonic Enchant miniRITE Features

Oticon OPN BTE 13 PP Features
    Oticon OPN BTE 13 PP Instructions for use

Sonic Enchant BTE Features
    Sonic Enchant BTE User Guide
    .25 .5 1 1.5 2 3.0 4.0 6.0 8.0

15 15 20 30 30 55 75 90 NR ​KS7
    10 10 20 15 25 35 65 85 95 WRS 100/92@45/40

You say she will try one for a week and the other in the office.. An absolute waste of time!

Thanks for comments MDB, Doc Jake.
    If she won't be able to compare, is there any other criteria I can consider to make the right choice?

PS: local Sonic sellers provide one week trial only, Oticon sellers don't offer any trial.
    Last edited by Art; 08-08-2017 at 08:19 AM.

Blog Entries

Where are you located Art? Here (US) I don't know of a clinic that won't do at least thirty days; although they may also have a "restocking" fee which goes to them and not the manufacturer. Costco give 180 days free.

The thing is there is a period of getting use to the new amplification. That can take a month and even more. So, what Jakey was really saying is that a week is way to short to know what you're really getting.

What the trial in your location tells us is that they really don't want an informed patient/customer. That is just too greedy.
    Hidden Content
    KS6's w. Phone Clip +

Visit my blog here for post that I think valuable -- especially new members.

There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. -- William Shakespeare

I'm going to start off with a couple of assumptions. 1st) I'm assuming that the reason you're involved instead of your Grandma is that she is not very independent and 2nd)that her needs are pretty straightforward. You'd basically like her to be able to understand you without yelling at her. She's not out in public a lot where there's a lot of background noise interfering. If these assumptions are wrong, then what follows is wrong too. Any powerful aid should help her (I don't have her audiogram, but since you're talking 105 receivers, I suspect her loss is pretty severe. She doesn't need an advanced level hearing aid. Any basic aid from a major manufacturer should be a noticeable improvement. There's a really good chance she won't like it initially. Things will be a lot noisier and she may have grown to appreciate quiet so it's going to take awhile to get used to them. I think we sometimes mean different things by "trial period." For some, it's getting to try them out without putting any money up. For others, it's how long do you have to return them and get a full (or mostly full) refund. You should get at least 30 days (preferably longer) of the latter kind of trial. Anyway, I wouldn't worry about picking the right hearing aid, more like the right hearing aid person. I don't know what options are open to you or where you live.

Quote Originally Posted by Art View Post
    Thanks for comments MDB, Doc Jake.
    If she won't be able to compare, is there any other criteria I can consider to make the right choice?

PS: local Sonic sellers provide one week trial only, Oticon sellers don't offer any trial.

To Art: according to the audiogram you posted in the first post of your grandma, she doesn't need the 105dB receivers. A regular 85dB receiver will do. Heck, even a 65dB receiver may also be adequate but that's pushing it a little, so there's no reason not to pick the 85dB receiver over the 65dB one.

There is no way to make any good decision on the OPN with just one fitting and no trial at all. It'd be just a waste of time.

She should be able to trial the Sonic Enchant 100 for more than a week. A week is just way too short, 30 days should be the minimum trial period. Look for other providers who offer at least 30 day trials.

The Sonic Enchant 100, while cheaper than the OPN 3 (based on BuyHear.com pricing), is still considered a premium hearing aid. If money is no object then OK. Otherwise, I think trying out the KS7 from Costco with 180 days trial policy is probably a better option and a better value at $1700.

As for your question about the differences between the Sonic Enchant and the OPN 1, I would not necessarily believe everything BuyHear says about the Enchant being the same HA as the OPN line. Like you said, I've also reviewed the feature names and also read through some presentations as well as some white papers on the Sonic, and the more I read, the more I'm inclined to believe that they're not really related and they don't necessarily share the same platform. Yes, Sonic and Oticon and Bernafon are all sister companies of William Demant, but they're still independent and separate companies and maybe they're kept that way for a reason, to come up with their own new and independent platforms. Another way to look at it is why would William Demant undercut their most current OPN line with a lower priced Sonic Enchant line that's even lower priced than the most crippled OPN 3? The OPN technology is still too new to waterfall down yet.

But, having said that, there's a forum member (chatteremail) who used to wear the OPN1 and switched over to try out the Sonic Enchant 100 and was equally impressed with it. See the link below on the posts discussing this. So I think the Enchant 100 will most likely be fine for your grandma. It's highly likely that the KS7 will be adequate for your grandma as well, for half the price of the Sonic.

http://www.hearingaidforums.com/show...=sonic+enchant
    Last edited by Volusiano; 08-08-2017 at 10:35 AM.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

KHz 0.25...0.5...0.75...1.0...1.5...2.0...3.0...4.0... 6.0...8.0

Left ...10...10....10.....30.....70....75....80....95.. ..90....80
    Right .25...30....40.....55.....75....85....90....90...1 00...100

Volusiano, Thanks for pointing out audiogram. Don't know how I missed it. I agree she doesn't need 105s. Suspect she'll complain it's too loud even with smallest receiver.

I'm in Mykolaiv, Ukraine.

This Sonic seller offers just 1w of trial wearing, no restocking option.
    Another Sonic seller offers 1 month of trial, but not on this model, no restocking option, and they don't work in my region.
    Oticon seller doesn't offer any trial/restocking options.
    They said: "it's a medical device", "no one will wear used aids after you", "we don't work that way" ...

@MDB
    You are right with the assumptions.
    Added audiogram to the 1st message.

105 - because this is the only BTE option for Sonic Enchant and Oticon OPN.

She doesn't need an advanced level hearing aid. Any basic aid from a major manufacturer should be a noticeable improvement.
    I heard this from audiologists, but reviews on the Internet describe high-end aids as a better option. So I decided to buy good but expensive aids once and for ~4 years. Am I wrong?
    She tried both aids in the office (with 4 months interval), and she liked the idea of wearing aids.

@Volusiano
    Haven't found KS7 in Ukraine. Thanks for the link.
    Last edited by Art; 08-08-2017 at 10:00 AM.

Blog Entries

The Oticon seller isn't being truthful. The manufacturers will take them back. He may be buying black market, though.

Which level depends on one's lifestyle. In a quiet environment, all levels are very close to each other. If one discern speech fairly well in noisy environment, the intermediate level is a possible/reasonable choice. Premium helps in very difficult surrounding better but the intermediate can be relatively close for many with good word recognition scores.
    Hidden Content
    KS6's w. Phone Clip +

Visit my blog here for post that I think valuable -- especially new members.

There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. -- William Shakespeare