Thread: Looking to purchase first set of HA, suggestions please

1. Default Looking to purchase first set of HA, suggestions please

I have recently had a hearing test performed by a Audiologist as well as one performed by my local Costco. The Audiologist suggested Resound 3D 5, 7, or 9 with prices from $4800 to $7000. The HAS at Costco suggested either the Resound Cala 8 or KS7 but i had the felling that he thought the Resound was the one for me. He seemed to spend some time telling me how much better the Resound is for my Iphone 6, said i can use my phone as a remote for the Cala and use the bluetooth to send sound directly tot he HA

Shown below are my test results.

While the $2600 for the Resound is doable, i would prefer to keep the upper limit to about $2200. Are there other HA that i should consider either at Costco or some of the online sellers?

I am a senior, i don't attend many live concerts, do eat out frequently in noisy restaurants, watch tv and attend church on a regular basis (presently having some difficulty hearing the entire sermon).

Thank you for your help, this is my first post and i have not yet figured out how to put my test scores as a signature.

250 500 1K 1.5K 2K 3K 4K 6K 8K
    R 15 15 25 30 55 65 70 55 75
    L 10 30 30 30 30 60 70 50 70

I don't think you can go wrong. You've got 180 days to try it out and if you're not happy, you can try the other one. If money is an issue, try the KS7 first. If you really like the idea of direct (without another device) streaming from iPhone to hearing aid, go with the Resounds first. Resound may be better in noisy restaurants, but speculating. You'll likely be fit with open domes and if you're like me, noisy situations are going to be a challenge no matter what. I think Costco is the best value out there. If neither the KS7 or Resound work, Costco also has Bernafon (supposed to be a new model out soon) and Phonak

Quote Originally Posted by busterbrown885 View Post
    I have recently had a hearing test performed by a Audiologist as well as one performed by my local Costco. The Audiologist suggested Resound 3D 5, 7, or 9 with prices from $4800 to $7000. The HAS at Costco suggested either the Resound Cala 8 or KS7 but i had the felling that he thought the Resound was the one for me. He seemed to spend some time telling me how much better the Resound is for my Iphone 6, said i can use my phone as a remote for the Cala and use the bluetooth to send sound directly tot he HA

Shown below are my test results.

While the $2600 for the Resound is doable, i would prefer to keep the upper limit to about $2200. Are there other HA that i should consider either at Costco or some of the online sellers?

I am a senior, i don't attend many live concerts, do eat out frequently in noisy restaurants, watch tv and attend church on a regular basis (presently having some difficulty hearing the entire sermon).

Thank you for your help, this is my first post and i have not yet figured out how to put my test scores as a signature.

.25 .5 1 1.5 2 3.0 4.0 6.0 8.0

15 15 20 30 30 55 75 90 NR ​KS7
    10 10 20 15 25 35 65 85 95 WRS 100/92@45/40

Get the ks7 with easytek and tvlink and you still around $2100 or so. totally hands free phone, great TV and BT from any device you have.

If I were going this route, I'd go with the remote microphone instead of TV link as you can use it as mic or connect TV to it. Smart Connect is name EasyTek goes by at Costco.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Jake View Post
    Get the ks7 with easytek and tvlink and you still around $2100 or so. totally hands free phone, great TV and BT from any device you have.
    .25 .5 1 1.5 2 3.0 4.0 6.0 8.0

15 15 20 30 30 55 75 90 NR ​KS7
    10 10 20 15 25 35 65 85 95 WRS 100/92@45/40

Just trying g to keep his price down and I'm betting he will hear just fine in church without wiring up the preacher.

OP, were you in the military?

6. Default

No, I was not in the military. I will have to look at the easy tek. Is that the only brand that works with KS7? Is it possible to use the iphone as a remote without any additional hardware? I generally don't have a problem hearing on the phone when its to my ear or if i have it on speaker phone. I have a 5 speaker surround system for my tv and am really wondering if the HA will pick up the sound. My home theater receiver has blue tooth, i don't know if it pairs with HA. I have hands free in the car, again, i don't know if it pairs up with HA.

I have looked at Ziphearing.com and hearingcaresolutions.com, they seem to sell everything at what looks like 40 or 50% off MSRP, i didn't know if there might be other brands that should be put in the mix?

Thanks for the responses

Blog Entries

Stereo usually works better than surround for speech. If your remote lets you switch between, it is something to keep in mind. (Most speech comes from the middle which will emphasize it.)
    Hidden Content
    KS6's w. Phone Clip +

Visit my blog here for post that I think valuable -- especially new members.

There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. -- William Shakespeare

8. Default

KenP i tried to click on your blog and hidden content but because i have not posted 10 times i am not able to, is there another way to see the information you refer to?
    Thank you

The easytek at Costco is branded as a smart connect.

If all you want is to control the aids basic functons you can load the Touch Control app on your iPhone. You could simply use the on board rockers.

IMO, any hearing aid sucks with surround theatre systems.

10. Default

Thank you Doc Jake