Thread: Phonak Audeo B

Default Phonak Audeo B

I have a pair of Phonak Audeo B-90 for a moderately severe hearing loss in one ear and moderate in the other. I love the hearing aids and they are great. Unfortunately Phonak Target 5.1 does not allow high frequency gain that I need because of feedback thresholds (the program is already set to allow gain to exceed thresholds by 5 dB). There is no feedback in any of the programs, even though the whistleblock is set to moderate. With increasing whistleblock, I doubt there will be feedback if the high frequency gains are increased by another 5dB.

Is there some way that I could increase the high frequency gain?

jm40

What receivers do you have? Are you self programming or working with an audiologist (or hearing aid fitter)? If you're self programming, can you include a picture of what it looks like on your screen?

Quote Originally Posted by jm40 View Post
    I have a pair of Phonak Audeo B-90 for a moderately severe hearing loss in one ear and moderate in the other. I love the hearing aids and they are great. Unfortunately Phonak Target 5.1 does not allow high frequency gain that I need because of feedback thresholds (the program is already set to allow gain to exceed thresholds by 5 dB). There is no feedback in any of the programs, even though the whistleblock is set to moderate. With increasing whistleblock, I doubt there will be feedback if the high frequency gains are increased by another 5dB.

Is there some way that I could increase the high frequency gain?

jm40
    .25 .5 1 1.5 2 3.0 4.0 6.0 8.0

15 15 20 30 30 55 75 90 NR ​KS7
    10 10 20 15 25 35 65 85 95 WRS 100/92@45/40

Quote Originally Posted by MDB View Post
    What receivers do you have? Are you self programming or working with an audiologist (or hearing aid fitter)? If you're self programming, can you include a picture of what it looks like on your screen?
    I am self programming and the receivers are xS and xP. I tried and tried but was not able to insert a picture of the Gain & MPO screen.

jm40

Is the issue in both ears? Are you approaching the MPO? If so, then I would guess that would be the problem. I don't know Target, just Connexx. Wondering if there's anything like a critical gain measurement. Is Sound Recover 2 enabled? Maybe let frequency compression take care of the issue? DIY programming is a lot of trial and error. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I am self programming and the receivers are xS and xP. I tried and tried but was not able to insert a picture of the Gain & MPO screen.

jm40

Quote Originally Posted by MDB View Post
    Is the issue in both ears? Are you approaching the MPO? If so, then I would guess that would be the problem. I don't know Target, just Connexx. Wondering if there's anything like a critical gain measurement. Is Sound Recover 2 enabled? Maybe let frequency compression take care of the issue? DIY programming is a lot of trial and error. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
    The issue I mentioned applies to both ears but it is more bothersome in the ear with severe hearing loss.

The curves for the 50 dB, 65 dB, and 80 dB gains do not approach MPO in the Gain & MPO screen.

Target 5.1 Feedback & Real Ear Test is similar to Critical Gain measurement in Connexx with which I am familiar from my previous hearing aid. I have done this test (without it Whisleblock would not function) and applied it to RECD. The feedback threshold curve in the Gain & MPO screen, derived from the feedback test, starts to dip down at 2k and reaches a nadir at 4k. The software does allow gains to go above this curve by more than 5 dB. This limits adequate gain for my ears at high frequencies.

I enabled Sound Recover 2 and tried the audibility and distinction slide adjustments. To my surprise, they did not help me at all. I wonder if that is other owners’ experience.

jm40

I don't have any experience with Sound Recover 2 (except playing with software), but have Rexton's Frequency Compression. It definitely makes the "s" sound more audible. Sound like you've played with this a lot. My only thoughts would be 1) Are there any detailed instruction on using Target, perhaps from Audiology Online, or from Phonak? 2)What happens if you don't do the Feedback and Real Ear Test? Although Whistleblock won't function, perhaps feedback wouldn't be bad and you could add additional gain? 3)Consider contacting Phonak. 4)Perhaps playing around with audiogram inputs would let you trick it into giving you more gain? Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

The issue I mentioned applies to both ears but it is more bothersome in the ear with severe hearing loss.

The curves for the 50 dB, 65 dB, and 80 dB gains do not approach MPO in the Gain & MPO screen.

Target 5.1 Feedback & Real Ear Test is similar to Critical Gain measurement in Connexx with which I am familiar from my previous hearing aid. I have done this test (without it Whisleblock would not function) and applied it to RECD. The feedback threshold curve in the Gain & MPO screen, derived from the feedback test, starts to dip down at 2k and reaches a nadir at 4k. The software does allow gains to go above this curve by more than 5 dB. This limits adequate gain for my ears at high frequencies.

I enabled Sound Recover 2 and tried the audibility and distinction slide adjustments. To my surprise, they did not help me at all. I wonder if that is other owners’ experience.

jm40
    .25 .5 1 1.5 2 3.0 4.0 6.0 8.0

15 15 20 30 30 55 75 90 NR ​KS7
    10 10 20 15 25 35 65 85 95 WRS 100/92@45/40

7. Default

Just delete your feedback measurements. It will open up the high frequencies.

And you'll get feedback.