Thread: Why are so few doctors performing stapedotomy?

1. Default Why are so few doctors performing stapedotomy?

Considering this has been the consensus for a few years now... "Because it (stapedotomy) is a simpler and safer procedure, stapedotomy is normally preferred to stapedectomy"

We can't find any in Dallas. The whole situation is so confusing. The doctors we've talked to all give identical stats for their own outcomes, as if the research studies done apply to each and every surgeon. No one will disclose their own outcomes. Also, other than judging personality, there are virtually no sources of info for judging doctors ahead of time.

I understand that doctors should not advertise professional superiority, but that is something patients can and should judge. Anyone know who lists surgeons performing stapedotomy? What is the best source of outcome info, angieslist???

Blog Entries

There are a number of sites that post patients reviews of doctors. Google a doctor and they should show up.
    Hidden Content
    KS6's w. Phone Clip +

Visit my blog here for post that I think valuable -- especially new members.

There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. -- William Shakespeare

3. Default

Yes just the factitious kind of response any new community member is hoping for. Of course! Instead of asking on the otosclerosis forum, try googling!

Oto's all do lots of different surgeries and treatments. There are no reviews addressing Dallas based stapes surgery. That would be why I registered here. Have you actually tried googling this? Anyone can look up 'dallas otolaryngologist' and see that none of my questions are addressed by a single review.

Could you at least have addressed the thread title?

Agree Google is not particularly helpful. I have no knowledge of the procedure, but I am a RN and can tell you how people in the medical professions choose surgeons. They talk to physicians (sometimes nurses that work in the specific field) they trust and ask who they would have do their surgery. This is clearly an important decision to you. I'd definitely encourage getting more than one opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by NickMDal View Post
    Yes just the factitious kind of response any new community member is hoping for. Of course! Instead of asking on the otosclerosis forum, try googling!

Oto's all do lots of different surgeries and treatments. There are no reviews addressing Dallas based stapes surgery. That would be why I registered here. Have you actually tried googling this? Anyone can look up 'dallas otolaryngologist' and see that none of my questions are addressed by a single review.

.25 .5 1 1.5 2 3.0 4.0 6.0 8.0

15 15 20 30 30 55 75 90 NR ​KS7
    10 10 20 15 25 35 65 85 95 WRS 100/92@45/40

Quote Originally Posted by NickMDal View Post

Relax. Kenji is a know-it-all who likes to interject his opinions and assumptions into all threads even though he has no firsthand experience to back it up.

Blog Entries

Well I looked for "review ent doctor in dallas"

The one that looked best is: https://www.healthgrades.com/otolary...x-texas/dallas

I didn't read the reviews but there are quite a few on this site. Saw one with over 100.

Hope this helps.
    Hidden Content
    KS6's w. Phone Clip +

There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. -- William Shakespeare

Hey don't picking on Kenji he don't get upstairs often..

I would take a look at kanji's link and check who has privileges at UT Southwestern their ENT dept is rated #1 in the DFW area.

Blog Entries

With Jake's info, I think your best bet would be to get a referral to them from your family doctor. Going the other way might tie their hands for making recommendation of a preferred ENT.
    Hidden Content
    KS6's w. Phone Clip +