Thread: Cochlear Dead Regions

Default Cochlear Dead Regions

I've read where a loss of 70dB or more may suggest a cochlear dead region and it suggests that no amount of amplification may help. I'm curious how severe and profound losses are typically dealt with. See what the fitting formula prescribes and go from there? I've read of further testing that can be done to determine cochlear dead regions, but I'm wondering what is done in typical practice.
    .25 .5 1 1.5 2 3.0 4.0 6.0 8.0

15 15 20 30 30 55 75 90 NR ​KS7
    10 10 20 15 25 35 65 85 95 WRS 100/92@45/40

Blog Entries

With your WRS, I think you'll find you'll do well. The brain for many adjust. It just takes a bit of time. I have much worse scores and get by. I just ask for repeats more than the average loss. Because all our losses are different -- even with severe/profound, I don't think you can say with certainty what one's results will be.

The Costco AuD said at the start that I probably wouldn't benefit from an aid in my right ear but I found it really made a difference. Speech seemed fuller with the right aid added.
    Hidden Content
    KS6's w. Phone Clip +

Visit my blog here for post that I think valuable -- especially new members.

There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. -- William Shakespeare

Thanks. Actually meant it more as a generic question, especially more for those with profound loss extending lower. I'm fortunate in that aids are pretty much optional except for when my daughter visits. I find that some frequency compression helps make plurals easier to detect. I guess basic question is are cochlear dead regions even considered by most audiologists? I think they're "considered" for me by both the NAL-2 fitting formula that "gives up" on the highs by not trying to truly make them audible and by frequency compression which also gives up on highs and shifts them.

Quote Originally Posted by KenP View Post
    With your WRS, I think you'll find you'll do well. The brain for many adjust. It just takes a bit of time. I have much worse scores and get by. I just ask for repeats more than the average loss. Because all our losses are different -- even with severe/profound, I don't think you can say with certainty what one's results will be.

The Costco AuD said at the start that I probably wouldn't benefit from an aid in my right ear but I found it really made a difference. Speech seemed fuller with the right aid added.
    .25 .5 1 1.5 2 3.0 4.0 6.0 8.0

15 15 20 30 30 55 75 90 NR ​KS7
    10 10 20 15 25 35 65 85 95 WRS 100/92@45/40