Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Battery Test Data, Contributed by one of our Members

Thumbs up

Don't know about testing .. just about REAL life.

I have Phonak Audeo YES IX's. Rayovac Mercury Free lasted 3 to 4 days and never gave the full boot-up sequence tones. And I'd have some static from day 1 through to the end.

I bought the Power One 312 batteries from our host. I will never go back to Rayovac! These Power One 312 batteries last from 5 to 6 full days and are FULL power from start to dead. That's pretty good for full feature hearing aids using the iCom all day at work while taking tech support phone calls. I can honestly say that our host provides an excellent web site/forum for hearing impaired people ... and an excellent product and a great price.

I've been having trouble with perspiration and my ReSound Live 9's; sweat gets in and covers the battery air holes and kills the battery until it dries out.

I've tried a number of batteries, and the Power One so far is working out the best. It has only 2 air holes so it's less likely to get wet there and die, and it seems to recover faster than other batteries when it does get wet.

Post Another Hearing Aid Battery Life Study

This is my first post on this forum; I hope you find it useful.

I recently ran a real life study of hearing aid battery life. I've put the results on my company's website blog, Blamey & Saunders Hearing. It can be found on Google.

For the record, Rayovac came out the winner, particularly for the bigger size 312 and size 13 batteries.
    Last edited by DrDanielTaft; 12-28-2011 at 12:29 AM. Reason: URL was changed

I would have to say that your tests are flawed. You rate the Mercury Free batteries as the best ... yet they do not supply full power for hearing aids that are full featured and require such. In my Phonak YES IX's, the Rayovac Mercury Free batteries (312's) resulted in noise similar to interference ... or a low battery state, right from the get-go. And that was before powering on the iCom. The noise was like static. Fresh, new Rayovac Mercury Free is what I used ... and when I switched to Power One batteries the aids worked beautifully. In fact, I had even sent the aids in for repair and couldn't understand why Phonak did nothing to them as they were the same on return. I was getting a bit pissed off at Phonak when the blame lay in the Rayovac batteries. Rayovac's regualr Zinc air batteries do work just fine in the aids, though I do find the Power Ones lasting longer overall.

I suggest that you take your tests back to the drawing board and try again.

Wow, flamed on my first forum post! Back to the drawing board is a bit harsh.

To be fair, the study didn't actually say Mercury-Free was the better than standard. It was a brand comparison, and the test says that Rayovac was the best. The fact that the Rayovacs were Mercury Free (and the other brands were not) is simply a bonus. The regular Rayovac zinc-airs might be even better!

Does anyone know when/if Mercury containing batteries will be phased out?
    Last edited by DrDanielTaft; 09-13-2010 at 02:53 AM. Reason: Clarified.

Quote Originally Posted by DrDanielTaft View Post
    Wow, flamed on my first forum post! Back to the drawing board is a bit harsh.

To be fair, the study didn't actually say Mercury-Free was the better than standard. It was a brand comparison, and the test says that Rayovac was the best. The fact that the Rayovacs were Mercury Free (and the other brands were not) is simply a bonus. The regular Rayovac zinc-airs might be even better!

Does anyone know when/if Mercury containing batteries will be phased out?
    Wait a minute now .. that wasn't a "flame" But the test does have to go back to the drawing board. There was an article about the Mercury free batteries not putting out the same power as regular Zinc air and having an adverse affect on todays more powerful aids. I can verify that the article is correct. That's why I say back to the drawing board. You need to include some power-aids in the testing.

On your web site though, it does state that Mercury free came out on top. That cannot be true as they cannot do the more powerful aids.

Smile

It's ok, I can handle it

I have clarified the conclusion though in response to your feedback. Thanks.

We still recommend Rayovac, especially since they won - even with the mercury-free "handicap".

Our tests were carried out with our own brand of hearing aids, and we didn't experience the difficulties you have described. Results will vary from one brand to another, but we are unlikely to test other brands at this stage. Maybe later.
    Last edited by DrDanielTaft; 09-27-2010 at 04:29 AM. Reason: Clarified explanation

I have tried several different brands and I have found that many times I'll get a bad pack of batteries, no matter what the brand. I currently buy Renate Maratone batteries.

Something else to consider when choosing hearing aids batteries is their slightly differing sizes. The battery contacts in the hearing aids themselves are easily bent. If you switch from larger batteries to slightly smaller batteries the hearing aid battery contacts will be slightly bent out and won't make a good contact with the battery.

I know that the specs are supposed to be the same or similar, but there are slight differences between manufacturers.

For this reason, I just stay with the same brand.
    Last edited by Walter; 06-25-2011 at 03:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    I have tried several different brands and I have found that many times I'll get a bad pack of batteries, no matter what the brand. I currently buy Renate Maratone batteries.

Something else to consider when choosing hearing aids batteries is their slightly differing sizes. The battery contacts in the hearing aids themselves are easily bent. If you switch from larger batteries to slightly smaller batteries the hearing aid battery contacts will be slightly bent out and won't make a good contact with the battery.

I know that the specs are supposed to be the same or similar, but there are slight differences between manufacturers.

For this reason, I just stay with the same brand.
    hmm, I never did think there was some different thicknesses in battery brands....how did you figure that one out? That could be sometimes the issue i experience when I accidently hit one of my aids and cause a "reboot"
    ljjehl

Current hearing aids: Oticon Dynamo SP10
    Current ALS: Oticon Streamer Pro 1.3a with Connectline lapel Microphone

Former hearing aids: Phonak Naida V UP
    Former ALS: Smartlink SX transmitter, Phonak ML10i receiver, Clearsounds Quattro Neckloop

Current Audiogram
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

10. Default

I am a newbie here and just wanna say Hi to everyone. I am Daniel from Pennsylvania, US.