Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: carrying batteries....

1. Default

I keep my used batteries in a paper cup. Waiting to see how long it takes to fill it up.

Quote Originally Posted by jbobp View Post
    The packages have a use by date. The batteries are zinc air batteries and the current is generated when the zinc is exposed to air. The tab keeps the exposure from happening and prohibits the battery from becoming active. When the tab is removed and the battery is exposed to air the battery begins to work and will eventually die whether in an aid or not. Never remove the tab before the battery is needed.

http://emea.rayovac.com/en/consumer/conFAQ.htm#1
    Of course there will be some protracted degradation over time when the air-seal tabs are pulled, but to say the cell will discharge the same as if it is in the hearing aid - being electrically discharged - is rubbish and totally ludicrous.

Knowing how these cells work chemically, dictates that they cannot discharge significantly while waiting for the current in-use batteries to wear down to non-usable levels. First off, they are not really batteries in the truest sense of the word. They fall between fuel cells and batteries somewhere - the air/oxygen being an oxidizing medium that sets the whole zinc-oxide chemical reaction in motion.

If you could control-throttle the air/oxygen being used by the chemical reaction taking place they would be true fuel cells, but because they are not used that way they are observably more like batteries to the casual user.

Anyway, pulling the tabs off a day or two before hand will not significantly hamper performance, without having an otherwise absolute electrical drain on the the cell from the hearing aid circuits.
    -Jason Hidden Content

Audiogram on 05/11/09:

L -40 -40 -50 -30 -50 -65
    R -35 -55 -50 -30 -60 -50

Default storage of batteries

Thanks for all the suggestions. I now have an idea what to do with all my empty contact lens cases. It might work, as long as I don't try to stick a battery in my eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Sopeter View Post
    Of course there will be some protracted degradation over time when the air-seal tabs are pulled, but to say the cell will discharge the same as if it is in the hearing aid - being electrically discharged - is rubbish and totally ludicrous.
    Rubbish? Really? Where did I state the cell discharge is the same when the tab is pulled as when the battery is placed in a hearing aid? Where is that statement in the information I posted via the link?

I said the battery becomes active once the tab is removed, and it does. I said the battery would eventually die once the tab is removed, and it will.

Making a statement up out of thin air and falsely quoting someone else as though that person made the statement, thatís ludicrous.

I personally like the tab as a handy little handle for when I'm inserting those tiny little things.
    Kirkland Signature 5s

Freq R/L
    250 -40/-45
    500 -35/-35
    1k -30/-25
    2k -30/-35
    4K -55/-55
    8K -70/-65

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jay_man2 View Post

In my experience with a variety of aids, battery life is like this:

10 - 5-6 days
    13 - 20-21 days
    312 - 10-11 days
    625 - 30 days

The larger the battery the longer the life.
    I am interested to know if this is related to the power of the aid, particualrly the type of battery that is used in the BTE model and how that relates to the size used in the smaller custom types.

What I mean is, if a BTE aid takes a 13 battery and the ITE takes a 312 would the 312 tend to last a lot shorter time than if the BTE version also takes a 312? I am not sure if there is a "correct match" as it were between aid power and battery size or if always a 675 will last 30 days if we assume someone made a low-power aid with a 675 in it or if it would last longer. I don't think I ever got 10 days out of a 312 battery on my ITE aid, but another BTE (analog) that I had the 312 would last over 2 weeks.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by PastorJeff View Post
    I personally like the tab as a handy little handle for when I'm inserting those tiny little things.
    I find the long tabs totally pointless. You have to be able to hold onto the battery in order to rip off the tab at some point anyway! I suppose maybe it helps you to maneouvre it into the position, but at some point you need to be able to close tremor-free fingers around the battery and pull the tab. Doesn't work out for me, so I have to use a table to drag the tabs off before I start and then put the hearing aid over the battery rather than the other way around. Then you slide the hearing aid over onto your other hand, turn over and shut the door.

I've been interested in the length of battery life several have reported here. I have Phonak audeo SMART IX's which use a 312 battery and can almost "tell time" on the battery life which seems short - five days. Can anyone else using these aids (or comparable) post what battery life they're getting?
    .......L/R
    250 25/25
    500 25/25
    1k 35/25
    2K 25/25
    3K 55/50
    4K 60/60
    6K 60/60
    8K 65/75
    Phonak Audeo SMART IX's RIC

Quote Originally Posted by jdtruly View Post
    I've been interested in the length of battery life several have reported here. I have Phonak audeo SMART IX's which use a 312 battery and can almost "tell time" on the battery life which seems short - five days. Can anyone else using these aids (or comparable) post what battery life they're getting?
    I use Starkey S11's, which also require 312s and also are receiver in the canal. I've been getting 7 days.
    Hz 250 500 750 1000 1500 2000 3000 4000 6000 8000
    R 30 40 40 50 55 55 65 80 85 90
    L 40 60 60 70 65 60 80 85 75 70

Quote Originally Posted by icemncmth View Post
    I am curious ...on how everyone carries batteries on their person. Do you just carry them in the package they came in..in a pill box.?
    I bought a small screw-top pill box at the drug store. Its tubular and just big enough around to accept a dime. A penny is too large to fit. It's about 2 inches long, so I stuff cotton in the bottom. I carry it in my pocket wherever I go with two batteries in it. When the time comes to change batteries, those are always the two I use. That way I know that they're always fresh.
    Hz 250 500 750 1000 1500 2000 3000 4000 6000 8000
    R 30 40 40 50 55 55 65 80 85 90
    L 40 60 60 70 65 60 80 85 75 70