Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hi Pro Communication Problem

Default Hi Pro Communication Problem

I am needing help with a communication problem between my laptop and the Hi Pro programming box.

The laptop is a newer Toshiba with Windows Vista. The Hi Pro is the serial type so I am using a serial to USB adapter. This USB/serial adapter includes Prolific drivers that are installed on the laptop. According to my PC the USB/serial adapter is working properly, it does see the adapter but not the Hi Pro.

I have loaded and tried the Phonak iPFG 2.5, iPFG 2.4a and the PFG 8.6b programs. None of them see the Hi Pro. The Hi Pro power light comes on and stays on while powered up. The left, right and PCtx/rx lights will only flicker when the Hi Pro is powered up, no more after the initial power up.

The Phonak Savia hearing aids are connected to the Hi Pro with Phonak CS44a cables. They appear to be right and feel solid at connections to Hi Pro and the aids.

I suspect I am missing Hi Pro drivers but am not sure. Could anyone help me with this communication problem?

Thanks for anyones help.
    Rick
    Rick

Hz...250.500..1K..2K..3K...4K..8K
    Right.25...30..40..60..85.110..NR
    Left...25...35..50..60..80.110..NR

Default XP Mode

Quote Originally Posted by Raudrive View Post
    I am needing help with a communication problem between my laptop and the Hi Pro programming box.

The laptop is a newer Toshiba with Windows Vista. The Hi Pro is the serial type so I am using a serial to USB adapter. This USB/serial adapter includes Prolific drivers that are installed on the laptop. According to my PC the USB/serial adapter is working properly, it does see the adapter but not the Hi Pro.

I have loaded and tried the Phonak iPFG 2.5, iPFG 2.4a and the PFG 8.6b programs. None of them see the Hi Pro. The Hi Pro power light comes on and stays on while powered up. The left, right and PCtx/rx lights will only flicker when the Hi Pro is powered up, no more after the initial power up.

The Phonak Savia hearing aids are connected to the Hi Pro with Phonak CS44a cables. They appear to be right and feel solid at connections to Hi Pro and the aids.

I suspect I am missing Hi Pro drivers but am not sure. Could anyone help me with this communication problem?

Thanks for anyones help.
    Rick
    You may need to run the software in XP Compatibility Mode
    My Audiogram
    0250Hz R-20 L-20
    0500Hz R-25 L-30
    0750Hz
    1000Hz R-30 L-35
    1500Hz R-50 L-35
    2000Hz R-50 L-50
    3000Hz R-65 L-70
    4000Hz R-75 L-75
    6000Hz R-85 L-85
    8000Hz R-85 L-85
    Speech Audiometry

SRT

R - 35
    L - 35

Phonac Audeo B90 w/COMPilot II and TV adapter

It is the usb to serial adapter, some or most do not work.
    The Keyspan adapter, a few years ago, was the only one that worked.
    Even with a serial port there is a specific cable ,,, full handshaking,,, Communication going both ways.

I used to use a similar type of setup. (The COM port number kept changing after the computer was turned off, so I stopped). I used an IOGear adapter, as it was recommended as one that was compatible with the serial Hi-Pro.

There is a software setting that sets the COM port that the USB to Serial is set at and this needs to match the software com port setting for the Hi-Pro.
    Last edited by kretsh; 10-28-2009 at 12:09 PM.
    Hz..250.....500...1K.....2K......3K......4K.....6K ......8K
    L&R....-15....-15....-15....-15.....-15.....-15.....-15....-15 (with Cochlear Implants)

Audiogram BEFORE CI's
    L&R....-95....-85....-95...-120...-120....-120...-105...-105

Cochlear Freedom Implanted 11/30/11, Activated 12/21/11 N6
    Cochlear Freedom Implanted 6/11/15 Activated 7/1/15 N6

Formerly Phonak Naida's

Default Thanks

WOW, thanks for the very quick help. It sounds like the cable adapter is most likely the problem. I had been told a Belkin was the right one but now have more choices.

I am aware of the COM port number. I understand it has to be between 1 and 4, not anything higher numerically. Have made sure that is right.

As far as the Phonak software, I have not seen the choice for XP compatibility mode. Where is it found? I plan to use the Phonak iPFG 2.4a or the iPFG 2.5 program to program the Savia aids. The older version PFG 8.6b does not include the Savia aids.

Thanks again for everyone's help.
    Rick
    Rick

Robert's response about the XP mode could be right also. I'm trying to skip vista.
    You have a desktop shortcut but if you go to programs you should have a Phonak program group. If you put your curser there you will see IPFG and tools. select tools and choose HI-PRO configuration. It is a little program provided to check communication and it will also offer to update the firmware.

Thanks again for more info.

I checked everything mentioned except the XP mode. I can not find that.

I had found the other stuff in other places but your spot at programs was very handy. Thanks

I am looking for the named adapters with no luck locally. I have found them on eBay so I guess I should get that going.

My family is very excited about me getting aids so I will quit saying "WHAT" or "HUH"

Rick
    Rick

Default Still No Communications

Thanks for everyones help.

Thinking the serial/USB adapter was the problem I did find and buy the IOGear GUC232A. It came with a drivers disk and that was loaded. Same problem, no go. The booklet that came with this adapter showed how to manually set the adapter up, so I gave that a try, no go. This taught me something about setting up the port for this adapter and whatever device it will be operating with. That is where I am off I believe.

When hardware wizard is ran it asks for a CD or manually enter the device that will be operated. I do not have a CD for the Hi pro and Windows does not know Hi Pro. That I believe is my hold up.

Can anyone help me with the port setting for the serial port Hi Pro. They are found in Control Panel / Device Manager / Ports (Com & LPT). Yours may say Hi Pro, not sure. Double click the port for the Hi pro and see what the port setting are.

Thanks for any help with this.

Rick
    Rick

Due to the bad luck on my laptop I decided to try the Phonak program on my wife's desk top computer. It has a serial port so no adapter will be needed for the Hi Pro. When everything was hooked up the Hi Pro came to life for about a minute. It showed the serial numbers of the Savia aids and when I stepped it toward programming everything stopped again.

Now I am wondering if the Phonak program iPFG 2.5 is designed for USB only. Not sure what to do now.

Rick
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Raudrive View Post
    Due to the bad luck on my laptop I decided to try the Phonak program on my wife's desk top computer. It has a serial port so no adapter will be needed for the Hi Pro. When everything was hooked up the Hi Pro came to life for about a minute. It showed the serial numbers of the Savia aids and when I stepped it toward programming everything stopped again.

Now I am wondering if the Phonak program iPFG 2.5 is designed for USB only. Not sure what to do now.

Rick
    Rick,

Sorry you are still have issues with your setup.

I have used the iPFG 2.5 version on my Lenovo laptop with serial port located in the docking station successfully, along with upgrading the Naida firmware.

-H
    Hz..250.....500...1K.....2K......3K......4K.....6K ......8K
    L&R....-15....-15....-15....-15.....-15.....-15.....-15....-15 (with Cochlear Implants)

Audiogram BEFORE CI's
    L&R....-95....-85....-95...-120...-120....-120...-105...-105

Cochlear Freedom Implanted 11/30/11, Activated 12/21/11 N6
    Cochlear Freedom Implanted 6/11/15 Activated 7/1/15 N6

Formerly Phonak Naida's