Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unitron vs Phonak

Default Unitron vs Phonak

My audi told me that Unitron sounds tiny compared to Oticon.
    I have worn both and now that the Lattitude Moxi is fine tuned to my liking I cannot say that I would choose ether model based on sound quality alone.
    They both get an a+ in that regard from me.

Is it a fair assumption that Phonak would have the same sound Characteristic as Unitron?
    250hz L-40 R-50
    500hz L-40 R-50
    750hz L-40 R-50
    1000hz L-40 R-50
    1500hz L-50 R-60
    2000hz L-65 R-70
    3000hz L-65 R-70
    4000hz L-60 R-70
    6000hz L-60 R-70
    8000hz L-55 R-65
    AC AC
    SRT L-50 R-50
    WRS1 L-70 R-85
    SCORE L-80R-68 OVERALL 88
    UCL L-105 R-105
    Phonak Audeo Smart V

2. Default

Unitron and Phonak are owned by the same holding company (Sonova). They share technology and hardware components. I would not associate a certain sound quality with either product.

Notice that these are the same hearing aid, the Shift adds plasitic to back of the device.

Default Different

Quote Originally Posted by alpine1 View Post
    My audi told me that Unitron sounds tiny compared to Oticon.
    I have worn both and now that the Lattitude Moxi is fine tuned to my liking I cannot say that I would choose ether model based on sound quality alone.
    They both get an a+ in that regard from me.

Is it a fair assumption that Phonak would have the same sound Characteristic as Unitron?

Your audi telling you that the Unitron sounds tinny compared to the Oticon made me laugh. Go with what sounds good to you. Most hearing aids have different sound characteristics but this is more related to the number of channels, processing, etc. etc.

It is safe to assume that some of the Phonaks would be similiar to the Unitron aids. The Latitude is an excellent hearing aid for the money. Which one do you have? The 4, 8, or 16. Also it would be a good idea to post your audiogram.

Quote Originally Posted by HIP_Matt View Post
    Your audi telling you that the Unitron sounds tinny compared to the Oticon made me laugh. Go with what sounds good to you. Most hearing aids have different sound characteristics but this is more related to the number of channels, processing, etc. etc.

It is safe to assume that some of the Phonaks would be similiar to the Unitron aids. The Latitude is an excellent hearing aid for the money. Which one do you have? The 4, 8, or 16. Also it would be a good idea to post your audiogram.
    I have the Lattitude 16. AS per going with what sound better. They both sound good to my deaf ears

Why I ask about Phonak sounding similar to Unitron is that there are some good deals online and I may consider this risky option.

Doesn't my audiogram post below my posts?
    Last edited by alpine1; 01-08-2010 at 10:29 AM.
    250hz L-40 R-50
    500hz L-40 R-50
    750hz L-40 R-50
    1000hz L-40 R-50
    1500hz L-50 R-60
    2000hz L-65 R-70
    3000hz L-65 R-70
    4000hz L-60 R-70
    6000hz L-60 R-70
    8000hz L-55 R-65
    AC AC
    SRT L-50 R-50
    WRS1 L-70 R-85
    SCORE L-80R-68 OVERALL 88
    UCL L-105 R-105
    Phonak Audeo Smart V

Quote Originally Posted by Research View Post
    Unitron and Phonak are owned by the same holding company (Sonova). They share technology and hardware components. I would not associate a certain sound quality with either product.
    Quote Originally Posted by HIP_Matt View Post
    It is safe to assume that some of the Phonaks would be similiar to the Unitron aids.
    I'm wondering if anybody can compare and contrast the two brands. The Sonova site: http://www.sonova.com/en/about-us/brands emphasizes that Phonak is more technology focused while Unitron is focused is on relationships.

Yet this site: https://www.clearlyhearing.com/blogs...n-hearing-aids ca states "Currently Phonak is considered the cadillac version of Sonova's line of hearing aids."

For example, back in my school days, I worked summers on the assembly line @ GM where the Chevy Impala and Pontiac Caprice were coming down the same line. Some of the parts were identical (body panels), some were cosmetic (badges) and some were functional (suspension components).
    250 500 1000 1500 2000 3000 4000 6000 8000
    R 50 50 50 55 65 60 55 55
    L 45 45 45 45 65 55 60 60 65

SRT WDS MCL UCL
    R 45 88% 75
    L 45 80% 75

Pure Carat 701's

Blog Entries

Usually different brands from the same company use the identical hardware. They change the programming to differentiate the brands to try to promote the premium brand. I noticed that recently UmBongo has had nice things to say about the Unitron. He thinks they are working well for some clients. Now part of that may be a cost item; but, he doesn't ignore they satisfy clients. The only real definition is how they sound through your ears and your situation. All you can do is give one or the other a try and see the benefits and look at cost and determine your satisfaction.
    Hidden Content
    KS6's w. Phone Clip +

Visit my blog here for post that I think valuable -- especially new members.

There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. -- William Shakespeare

7. Default

The aids I got from Audicus for $ 1,400 are rebadged 12 channel Unitrons, and sound just as good as phonaks I tried. noise performance is just okay, but for the price no complaints

Quote Originally Posted by KenP View Post
    Usually different brands from the same company use the identical hardware. They change the programming to differentiate the brands to try to promote the premium brand. I noticed that recently UmBongo has had nice things to say about the Unitron.
    Thanks @KenP and @bobm07921.
    I'll make a point of doing an advanced site search for UmBongo and Unitron. From a consumer perspective I'm trying to discern between the clinical and corporate. As a health care professional, I'm sort of flabbergasted by the HA industry.
    250 500 1000 1500 2000 3000 4000 6000 8000
    R 50 50 50 55 65 60 55 55
    L 45 45 45 45 65 55 60 60 65

SRT WDS MCL UCL
    R 45 88% 75
    L 45 80% 75

Pure Carat 701's

Blog Entries

I think many of us question how hearing aid practitioners relate to true healthcare. It seems to started back in the analog days with all no real adjustments. Those folks got grandfathered into the new requirements. Manufacturers then maintained selling and marketing based on those old standards. Today, licensing has limited who can fit aids. The true healthcare industry lobbies as do the clinics with healthcare seeking to limit responsibility and HA groups working to maintain profitability. Universities have "doctoral" (AuD) programs. Just what is involved beyond opening a door to licensing I really don't know but it isn't equivalent to MD studies.

It reminds me of state license for Realtors, barbers etc. The emphasis placed on protecting the existing rather than real improvements. That's not to say there aren't well qualified fitters. We've some fine ones that post here. But the true emphasis is to maintain the status quo.
    Hidden Content
    KS6's w. Phone Clip +

Visit my blog here for post that I think valuable -- especially new members.

There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. -- William Shakespeare

HalfEar: I too as a healthcare professional am flabbergasted by the HA industry. It's not like healthcare in general is wonderful, but the HA industry seems to have little in the way of standards. About the only thing you can count on is that you'll get an audiogram and likely an offer to sell you hearing aids.

Quote Originally Posted by HalfEar View Post
    Thanks @KenP and @bobm07921.
    I'll make a point of doing an advanced site search for UmBongo and Unitron. From a consumer perspective I'm trying to discern between the clinical and corporate. As a health care professional, I'm sort of flabbergasted by the HA industry.
    .25 .5 1 1.5 2 3.0 4.0 6.0 8.0

15 15 20 30 30 55 75 90 NR ​KS7
    10 10 20 15 25 35 65 85 95 WRS 100/92@45/40