Thread: Closed captioning on YouTube

Default Closed captioning on YouTube

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=124501330

The link is a transcript of an interview with Ken Harrenstien, the lead engineer behind Google's automatic captioning technology. For those who would like to enjoy more of YouTube's offerings, this is a step in the right direction. Granted the computerized translation sometimes leaves much to be desired, but the possibilities....

Yes it is a step in the right direction. Hopefully, some day soon, they'll get it so it works.

3. Default

How to speed up a video clip along with the audio? I have a video clip that I want to speed up. I have tried using Windows Live Movie Maker but when I speed up the video clip, the audio automatically gets muted. Is there any programs that can speed up the video clip along with the audio in it?

Last edited by moniskaa; 03-08-2014 at 12:59 AM.

4. Default

Google audio caption is really bad... but it used to be really good... guess matt cutts is messing with that as well, lol

Cool, I've not heard from Ken in decades when we were both regulars at the IETF meetings. I remember the one I hosted where we had a communications experiment using Ken, his interpreter, one of the guys from the German version of NASA (DFVLR) and another German speaker.

- - - Updated - - -

Cool, I've not heard from Ken in decades when we were both regulars at the IETF meetings. I remember the one I hosted where we had a communications experiment using Ken, his interpreter, one of the guys from the German version of NASA (DFVLR) and another German speaker.

I'm a realtime broadcast captioner. I find the captions on YouTube to be unintelligible in most instances. Granted, there are some realtime captioners whose skills aren't what they should be. Thankfully, the FCC is finally addressing quality after issuing their captioning mandate 10 years ago. I know I'm biased on the subject, but I truly believe it requires a human being listening to what's being said to provide captions that make television or other media accessible to the deaf and hard of hearing. Someday compare the captions on HSN, produced by voice writers using voice recognition software, to those on QVC, being written by broadcast captioners on steno machines. The difference in quality is huge. Okay, I'll step off my captioning soapbox now.

Blog Entries

Well, I have used the UTube and it sure is better than nothing. It has seemed to show some steady improvement over time. In some respect it is the equal of the real-time I see. Both screw up sound similar words -- sometime humorously. My spelling need the dictionary feature a lot but it is better than some of the caption folks phonetic attempts.

Movies are interesting as they seem to follow the script while the actors can mangle that a bit. That happened on a defunct newscast too where they CC the script which didn't always match.

I keep CC on for certain character voices causing difficulty or heavy background music lousing up my understanding.